Search

Semi live from New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2023, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for reading. Yes it's raining here now. I hope it goes through quickly.

One thing about the restaurant prices is that they already include tax and no tip is expected. The portions were big, often enough for two. An appetizer aka "entree" is more like our main course in size. I don't think they had split plate surcharge. We often at at the fanciest/best place in town for dinner. For lunch it was a $5-$7 sandwich usually.
Our gas has dropped below $4/ gallon at Costco or Walmart but some neighborhood stations are still in the high $4 range.
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 05:20 PM

mlgb, I enjoyed your trip report and photos. Where is the world famous pie shop? Is it in a town called Sheffield or is the shop called Sheffield?

What was the weather like in November? Temps? Looks like a combination of rainy days and sunny days.
Old Sep 21st, 2023, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

It is in the town called Sheffield (also one in Oxford) and the company is also called (World Famous) Sheffield Pies

sheffieldpies.co.nz

The World Famous Sheffield Pie Shop in Sheffield has been a local icon for well over 40 years and has always been the essential ‘stop off’ and refuel for travellers to and from the West Coast. The Sheffield pies have always been a local cuisine, and all locals who attended Sheffield Primary school will have fond memories of Mondays being pie day, as it still remains today!

Now you can treat yourself on your travels whilst on the North side of the Waimakariri River by calling into our World Famous Sheffield Pies Bakery & Cafe in Oxford. Why not make a day trip of it, as a lot of people do, and start with lunch in Sheffield and finish with afternoon tea in Oxford?

Our products are all made from scratch from top quality ingredients, sourced as locally as possible and crafted to perfection at our bakery in Oxford. The original variety of pies are made to the original recipes, however the ever creative bakers are coming up with new flavours of pies all the time. Not only do we have a famous selection of pies, we also make a delicious array of cakes, slices and our very home styled Kiwi favourites biscuit selection, packaged nicely for you take home or round to a mates place to have with a cuppa. Alternatively, stay and enjoy them with our barista made coffees, iced drinks and delicious herbal teas.

Old Sep 21st, 2023, 06:39 PM

mlgb, thank you so much for this information!
Old Sep 21st, 2023, 07:38 PM

Its worth going to New Zealand just for the pies! "World Famous is a much overused tag line but IMHO NZ pies really could claim to the best. How could I have missed Sheffield Pies??

I remember vividly my first encounter with NZ pies when wandering in Dunedin Sunday market. Shopping to stock up the camper van we passed by a "Who Ate All the Pies? " stall in Dunedin Sunday market. The aromas wafting through the air were incredible! My first experience was a Steak and Bluff Oyster pie. Still the best pie I have ever tasted. 12,000 miles is a long way to go for pie though. Or is it?
Old Sep 22nd, 2023, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

crellson, our guide who is a retired RAF pilot and owns the company (Wrybill Birding Tours) makes point of stopping at this location on the way to the West Coast. It may be the highlight of his trip, LOL.

His bio:
https://wrybill-tours.com/about-us/

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 22nd, 2023 at 07:34 AM.
Old Sep 23rd, 2023, 10:57 PM

mlgb Which location?? I remember on one of our trips we took your suggestion to go to Karamea, about as far up the West Coast as it is possible to drive. Took us ages in the camper but we were rewarded with our one an only sighting of the elusive Kiwi!