Sintra, Cascais or Porto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2022, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Portugal is one of the three itineraries that I am researching for August 2023. This trip is with my husband, 3 young adult kids and their significant others (late 20s.)

I am thinking of staying 5 or 6 nights in Lisbon to see the city, and take a day trip or two. Day trips might include Cascais (beach day), Evora (Chapel of the Bones), Sintra (a palace or two.) We aren't ones to roam a town on a day trip, as there are too many of us. We would need a plan, a sight to see -- if that makes sense.)

My dilemma is what to do for 2-3 of the 8 nights. I think the group would enjoy staying in an interesting Pousada somewhere to enjoy the property and close-by town/city. Or here are 4 ideas I'd love feedback on:

1) Sintra would give us a small charming town, palaces and castles, and some amazing hikes. I found a couple beautiful villas in the hills that are walking distance to the town center. The palaces are open until 7pm so I was thinking it would be a great place to enjoy after the day trippers leave. I have read 3 trip reports here of people staying in Sintra for a couple of nights. However, I also have read how horribly crowded and touristy it is so I have a mixed reaction.

2) Cascais seems like a nice small beach town that we could get to easily, but it would give us a change of pace yet be close so we could uber to the airport at the end of the week.

3) Porto seems to be loved by this Board. We could spend time doing a port tasting at a lodge or two, We could take a day trip to the Duoro Valley and go biking or something. I think we all would love Porto but it also seems like a town to roam around, and again, with a group this large, I think we need an atmospheric place to stay.

4) I wish Guimarães was closer to Lisbon. It sounds charming, with a couple of neat places to stay between Casa do Ribeiro or Pousada Mosteiro de Guimarães. But this seems like a loooong way to go for 3 nights. And yet, for a day trip I picture the 8 of us roaming around the town so I don't think this type of town is quite right for a party of 8.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 06:34 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
In my experience, in April of 2022 the day trippers didn't leave Sintra until really, really late. We'd hoped for that quiet after the day trippers left thing, but it never really happened (although it was quiet in the early morning before places opened and day trippers arrived). The town didn't feel particularly charming to us, and it was absolutely heaving. We spent three nights there, and felt we needed that time just to see the few things we wanted to (we were in line when places opened). I don't know how people manage it as just a day trip, but thousands upon thousands evidently do.

We weren't as fond of Guimarãesas many here are - different strokes and all that, but we might have felt differently about it had we spent more than a day there.

Porto was our favorite - spent five nights there and could easily go back. I can't quite put my finger on why we liked it so much, but we did.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 06:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
To clarify, you referred to Porto as a town. It is a city, smaller than Lisbon, but still a city. Very interesting too. You could do a day trip to Guimares from there. There is a nice Pousada just outside of town.
Caiscais is beach resort town. I preferred staying in Lisbon.
We went to Sintra as a day trip on the train. We didn’t have to deal with crowds but still preferred Lisbon by a lot.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Nov 10th, 2022 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 11:39 AM

Irice,
I've stayed for 7 nights in Lisbon and have found plenty to do, and in my many trips, I still haven't visited all of its monuments and museums. It just offers a great deal for a group of varied ages, as does Porto, which requires a bit less time (5 nights in Porto for me are ideal).

1). My experience with Sintra in late March was similar, but not quite as bad, as Mel's. It was absolutely heaving with day trippers who didn't leave until late. On this visit, we chose to stay in Cascais for a more peaceful experience (and the sea and long walks along the beach promenades beckoned). We went to Sintra by uber (the Cascais-Sintra bus was very crowded).
If you hope to see all the major Sintra monuments, given the crowds these days, 2-3 nights is the only enjoyable way to go, I now believe. And I would choose a villa away from the too crowded historic quarter. Like Mel, I know that thousands do Sintra in a day from Lisbon, but given its current popularity, it doesn't make for a very rewarding experience, more of an endurance test.

2). Cascais--we chose it for 3 nights simply to relax and unwind after a long trip. It's a very well-manicured, pretty and quite well-to-do town (property wise, quite pricey) with manor homes, parks and gardens, a few small museums, lots of great seafood dining and even ethnic options and a long beach promenade that takes you as far as the dramatic, wind swept beaches of Guincho. We walked everywhere. There are a great many family villa rental options there. We took an uber to the airport--30 euros mid morning--very easy.

3). Count me in as another Porto lover. Ime, it would be easier to find a nice house for your group in the area of Foz, where the Douro meets the Atlantic. But with just 2-3 nights, you would want to be in the city in an apartment (or 2) and I wouldn't dedicate one of those days to the Douro valley, which will be scorchingly hot!! (never, ever in August). “nove meses de inverno, três meses de inferno, 9 months of winter, 3 months of hell”.

4). Guimarães is logistically a day trip from Porto or an overnight or two when exploring the Minho region. In a northern Portugal itinerary it does make sense but not in an itinerary of 8 nights to explore the entire country. We've stayed in many historic Portuguese pousadas and the Pousada Mosteiro de Guimarães is one of my favorites, but again, with just 8 nights for all of Portugal...
I would stay in the Lisbon-Cascais-Estoril (Carcavelos beach)-Sintra area (good communication by commuter rail or uber) or maybe add a night or two on the Silver Coast in Ericeira, just north of Lisbon. This attractive, "cool" surfing town has great appeal among the younger crowd. But all the beach towns will be crowded in August.

Evora will be very, very, very hot in August (been there, done that), as is the entire Alentejo. The Evora Convento Pousada dos Lois is lovely but the entry level rooms are "monk size", Another charming, very atmospheric lodging there is the Albergaria do Calvario, but agin I'd avoid Evora in August.

Just some thoughts to consider...

Last edited by Maribel; Nov 10th, 2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Happy, Mehq8 and Maribel! I really appreciate your opinions.

Maribel, I think I agree and will stay in the Lisbon area.

We love cafes, art museums, palaces, music, churches, hikes, coffee shops, bars. I am thinking:
-5-6 nights in Chiado apartment
-2-3 nights in Sintra or Cascais apartment (I will look into
Ericeira)

I think I would LOVE Porto, but it also sounds like we would be doing more of the same activities -- just in a different city, right?

With 8 of us, I will want to put together an itinerary of key sights but then give the "kids" free time to roam around. Here is what is on my list:
A historical walking tour of Lisbon
Hike in ​​​​​​Sintra-Cascais Natural Park
National Palace in Sintra
​​​​​​Calouste Gulbenkian Museum
Jerónimos Monastery
​​​​​​Museu Nacional do Azulejo
Santa Rosa Market
Stroll Alfama
Brasileira Cafe
Livraria Bertrand
Conventro do Carmo
Fado show/dinner
Beach at Cascais

Maribel - do you know how I would find a family villa in Cascais? There is nothing on Airbnb.

Thanks all!
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 09:28 PM

Irice,
I'll send you a PM tomorrow about a family villa---need to check my sources, I just did one for a family of 8 in September and need to check my notes.
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 06:42 AM

Hi lrice,
Just want to confirm that I agree with Maribel's advice to stay in the Lisbon area since you only have 8 nights. And I agree with her recommendation of Cascais. We are one of those people who did a daytrip from Lisbon to Sintra in April 2018. It wasn't extremely crowded at the time but based on TR's from 2022, that has obviously changed. We did a bus tour at the time, which we normally don't do. The tour included a quick stop and drive through of Cascais. I remember at the time both my husband and I commented that Cascais would be a nice place to stay for a few nights for a beautiful and relaxing visit. It is exactly as Maribel describes.
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 11:26 AM

Hi lrice,
I just sent you a PM with some options. I hope you find one of them suitable for your size group and budget.

I could live in Cascais, BTW, and have tried....but the prices of properties in the Cascais-Sintra-Estoril area have gone up considerably.

BTW,
Bolt also is available in the Cascais-Sintra-Estoril-Lisbon area, and there is a lovely café in the Casa da Guia mansion-turned-shopping complex, on the promenade from Cascais to Guincho with outdoor terrace for lounging and gazing at the sea.Ditto to the numerous new cafés in the Cascais Marina. Something for every budget and taste.

https://casadaguiacascais.pt
https://marinacascais.com/en/

Last edited by Maribel; Nov 11th, 2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Maribel, what is Bolt?
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Bolt is like Uber. I believe that in the Cascais-Sintra area they use the same drivers, or at least that's what I've read from the Cascais resident who posts on TA and RS.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 06:04 PM

Sintra

How much is a taxi from the Sintra train station to Pena Palace?
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 09:34 PM

The last time I checked during our March visit, it was 10 euros per taxi (with a weekend supplement of 20%), as the official taxis had printed on the passenger front door their rates from Sintra Vila to Pena, from Sintra to Cascais, from Sintra to Lisbon and from Sintra to the airport, with all fares incurring the weekend/holiday supplement. But fares may have changed in 2023.

Bolt and Uber also work in Sintra, if and when they aren't overwhelmed.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 07:56 AM

Thanks

Thank you, Maribel.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 02:49 PM

We went to Portugal this past Sept-Oct and loved it. There were crowds in Lisbon, Sintra and Porto, but we come from a big, busy city, and did not find them overbearing. You can see 1-2 palaces in Sintra in a day, but you need advance tickets, start early and have a plan of what you want to see. For a more relaxed visit, 2 - 3 days will give you a much better experience.
Uber and Bolt are really cheap in Portugal, and we rarely had any issues. I think it was only when coming back from Pena Palace and once in Lisbon, when we had reservations at a not-centrally located restaurant. My mistake. And in Douro valley where local taxi companies seem to have a monopoly, but they are very reliable, so no problem Otherwise, we only used Uber, and used it a lot.
We loved Porto, and it was our favorite. It's just such a magical place...