Will a 4nt Israel stopover be worth it?

Old Nov 9th, 2022, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Will a 4nt Israel stopover be worth it?

I'd like to add on a stopover in Israel to our Nile River Cruise trip but wondering if I can see enough to make it worthwhile. I wanted to concentrate on Jerusalem, but with a Friday am flight arrival, I understand that most of Jerusalem will be closed until after sunset Saturday. So, I'm thinking I need to stay in Tel Aviv until Sunday morning...taxi to Jerusalem, then try to get day tours for Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday morning. (Our flight to Egypt leaves at 6pm) Does this seem doable? We are seniors so don't want to take mass transit with luggage. Thanks for your help.
P.S. Sorry for posting twice but I forgot to check Israel as country specific
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 07:50 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I think this is completely doable. However, I wouldn't necessarily avoid Jerusalem on Shabbat. Yes, many things will be closed but many won't. The major hotels will continue to serve food and there are hotels that don't follow Jewish dietary rules, such as the iconic YMCA Three Arches Hotel (called locally the "Yimka") which is directly across the street from the historic King David Hotel. You could walk around the Old City (the Arab and Christian quarters are going at full strength) or visit the fabulous Israel Museum... lots of things to do.

Old Nov 11th, 2022, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too, think your 4 night stopover can work well. You certainly could enjoy your first day or two in Tel Aviv and then head to Jerusalem. You could spend your first night in Tel Aviv and visit there Friday and Saturday morning and head to Jerusalem Saturday afternoon or evening via a private taxi. That way you'll wake up in Jerusalem Sunday morning and have more time to tour there.

Another option is doing a day trip from Tel Aviv that ends in Jerusalem. We took a tour from Tel Aviv to Caesarea, Haifa and Acre (with our luggage stowed under the bus) and arranged to be dropped off afterwards in Jerusalem.
Old Nov 12th, 2022, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Gardyloo and KTravel. I think I’ll do the one night in Tel Aviv to see Jaffa & Bauhaus then taxi to Jerusalem Saturday night. Just bought my air ticket so it’s on!
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barefootbeach
I wanted to concentrate on Jerusalem, but with a Friday am flight arrival, I understand that most of Jerusalem will be closed until after sunset Saturday. So, I'm thinking I need to stay in Tel Aviv until Sunday morning...taxi to Jerusalem, then try to get day tours for Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday morning. (Our flight to Egypt leaves at 6pm) Does this seem doable? We are seniors so don't want to take mass transit with luggage.
Take a taxi on Saturday from TLV to your Jerusalem hotel. That way, you're positioned for a full day in Jerusalem on Sunday... and on Monday. You'll waste half of Sunday checking out and checking in and getting from TLV to Jerusalem, and basically only give yourself 1.5 days in Jerusalem. On such a short trip, don't waste so much time in TLV relative to Jerusalem. You can see the highlights of TLV on Friday. There's plenty to do and eat on Saturday in Jerusalem that is open (e.g., the non-Jewish portions of the old city).