Itinerary help : Should we skip Prague?

Old Nov 7th, 2022, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help : Should we skip Prague?

This will be our fourth trip to Europe, but our first time in Central Europe. We have 15 days, excluding travel days, and my spouse and I plan to travel from the US to Budapest and then home from Munich. No car, we plan on mass transit only. Initial plan is Budapest 4, Vienna 2, Prague 4, Salzburg 3, and Munich 2. After looking at the train travel time, we will spend approximately 9 hours getting to and from Prague. Should we skip Prague and perhaps rebalance those 4 nights among what we have or add Bucharest or something else?

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions (and no we can't get add more days).
Thank you.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 08:21 AM

I would if you plan to go to Salzburg later. It doesn't fit into that itinerary, as you note. It isn't even that great if you dropped Salzburg, to be honest, (going from Prague to Munich). It sounds like you might have more travel in you, I'd drop Prague and do it in other trip. Prague works with Dresden and Berlin, for example. You could throw in Leipzig to that itinerary, also. I really liked it.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prague is more interesting that Salzburg and I'd keep it but as Christina says it fits in well with the Dresden, Leipzig, Berlin line.

I wouldn't bother to add Bucharest, while Vienna in 2 days is a bit tight (i'd swop out Salzburg for more Vienna)
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
I would if you plan to go to Salzburg later. It doesn't fit into that itinerary, as you note. It isn't even that great if you dropped Salzburg, to be honest, (going from Prague to Munich). It sounds like you might have more travel in you, I'd drop Prague and do it in other trip. Prague works with Dresden and Berlin, for example. You could throw in Leipzig to that itinerary, also. I really liked it.
I was really looking forward to Prague, and I wrote here looking for support to drop it out of this trip. It is indeed too much time even though we love train rides! And you are correct, we plan to go back in 2024 to celebrate my 70th!

Salzburg will stay in because my wife and I want to see where our daughter did her study abroad, and got us hooked on Europe.

Last edited by richarde99; Nov 7th, 2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 09:26 AM

I like Prague also, I've been there at least 3 times. But this would take up two days travel time, that's all. It is a lot bigger than Salzburg, of course, I only spent a couple days in Salzburg which was fine.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 02:47 PM

I think Prague is wonderful and well worth the train time you mention. I've been three times and absolutely would not drop it. The train station is just off Wenceslas Square, which takes you right into the old town and is close to other attractions as well.. Very convenient for rail travelers. With three full days / four nights you could do a lot. Then go outside of Prague on your return trip.
Salzburg is really fun but you can see a lot in two full days / three nights. I would take a day from Salzburg and add it to Vienna.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 04:49 PM

Of course, we all have our different opinions! I liked but did not love Prague so think it makes sense to drop it for this trip and plan to visit in the future.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 07:25 PM

The big 3 for central Europe is Budapest, Vienna, and Prague.
If Salzburg is a given I would do this:
Fly into Budapest (4 nights), Vienna (3 nights), Prague (4 nights), Munich (4 nights with a day trip to Salzburg). Fly home from Munich.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 04:44 AM

No to skipping Prague.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 04:54 AM

I would not skip Prague. Yes, it is crowded but for good reason. It is such a beautiful city. We have been there twice and loved both of our visits. Go to Prague! You never know when you will return to this part of Europe again. Life happens! I understand the desire to see where your daughter studied in Salzburg. Our youngest daughter studied in Prague which is why we first visited Prague. We visited all the places where our daughters studied abroad. We visited Salzburg many years ago as a daytrip from Munich. So I agree with dugi-otok's itinerary.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 11:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved Salzburg so I vote for a visit there. Glad we saw Prague but have no desire to return.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 12:20 PM

Was in Prague this past March and it was not enjoyable. Brisk winds, stark chill, the center is now entirely carved out for tourism but with few tourists there, there was not much to distract from the feeling that the locals were VERY happy that there were few tourists there and were basically wholly jaded. In contrast to years (and decades) before, the commercial streamlining has taken a toll on the previous charm, and in desolate March the center felt sterile and virtual Disney. There were some diverse restaurant waitstaff who were very caring, attentive, and warm, but most of the town not so (and other bar/restaurant staff who were cold as ice).

But if you are coming in warm weather, when there are more people milling and a bit of a buzz and a hum, and beer gardens open in parks, it might be very different. What time of year to you plan to be there?
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 01:54 PM

Well, nothing is going to be the same decades later! We first went to the French Riviera 30 years ago, and again this past Fall. Eze 30 years ago had a small dirt parking lot, three years ago (on a cruise) it was totally different, BUT the setting, scenery and sea were the same. Nice 30 years ago and again two months ago, were similar in Old Nice, but that's it. Change is unilateral! As to not visiting Prague, I read a detailed travel comparison between Budapest and Prague, and we are opting for spending more time in Prague than in Budapest this December. We will also be revisiting Vienna, having been there 35 years ago, ( on ski trip) with a couple nights there and a day in cold Salzburg. Will it be the same? I sure hope not!
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 12:46 AM

Will you consider Brno instead of Prague? That'd be a shorter de-tour from Vienna.
  1. Budapest
  2. Brno
  3. Vienna
  4. the rest of the cities you had in mind
Brno is the second city, but no less fascinating. https://www.use-it.travel/cities/detail/brno/

Another option is Bratislava, which also allows you to do day trips to Trnava and Piestany in Slovakia.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 05:44 PM

I have been to every city in your itinerary except Munich (which am correcting this year) and Budapest was by far my least favourite city. I am not sure if I did not like it because I stayed in a local neighborhood (40 min walk from the centre) or what but I was very disappointed (everyone I know who's been loved it).

I loved Prague - have only been there once but visiting again this winter (Christmas markets) and it is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited. It does not get mentioned in the same breath as Paris or one of the main cities but it belongs. Do yourself a favour and make it happen. Have you looked at flying into Prague instead and then taking the train to Budapest? Other options include overnight train (assume it's available) or flying from Budapest to Prague. Either way, I agree very much with those who said it is worth it.

I think you can do Salzburg in 2 nights and I don't know why you are giving Vienna only 2 nights but it is worth more than that. I would divide them this way:
Budapest 3 nights - it is probably the largest and most spread out of the cities plus jet lag may warrant 4
Prague 3 nights
Vienna 3 nights but to me worth 4
Salzburg 2 nights
Can't speak for Munich.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 06:55 PM

Prague and Krakow are two of my favorite cities in Europe. That said, you can't fit in everything you want, so some places you will have to leave for another trip.

There is not much that can prepare you for the beauty of Prague, but if you can get there on another trip, then I highly recommend it.

I can't imagine adding Bucharest to anything.....