San Marino-worth the trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2022, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like some honest feedback from those who have visited San Marino. We will be in Florence for several days during our 2-week trip to Italy and thought we would include a day trip to San Marino. I've read some about it, so I know it's complicated and time-consuming to get there, but is it worth it? We will be taking some other day trips into different parts of Tuscany. We just thought it would be something unique to do, but that's just based on what we've read and that's where I'd like to get some honest first-hand feedback. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 06:20 PM

I didn't think so. Lovely views, but takes so much effort and time to get there that I would spend the time elsewhere. And that was even though I was also visiting Ravenna and Urbino over that way.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 07:52 AM

I live near San Marino, but I've only been there once. I don't think it's worth the trip. In the same general area, San Leo and Pennabilli are, in my opinion, more interesting and attractive, but it's still a long drive. San Leo is especially scenic. The entire countryside around Pennabilli is beautiful.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 11:41 AM

I realize that this is a couple of years late but I came across this thread when thinking about a past visit to San Marino. I do not entirely agree with the above posts. I was on a two week road trip in Italy with then 18,yo son and we decided to overnight in San Marino since it was not much out of the way. It is not a place that I would consider a "destination" but if one is in the area then why not? When we first arrived I admit that the presence of tour buses was off putting but the tourists soon departed leaving us pretty much alone in a charming old town of stone buildings and winding alleys. We like that sort of thing. We found a nice place for dinner and then wandered browsing in some shops. The next day we climbed to the ramparts and the views are terrific, easily worth the effort and altogether found our detour to be a pleasant experience that we were glad to have.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 05:45 AM

It's worth a day or a half day if you're already in the area, especially out of season, but it isn't worth a long drive from Tuscany especially. Here's some more info:
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspo...arino.html?m=1
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so many other lovely places in the area
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
so many other lovely places in the area
Nearby San Leo, for example, which I prefer to San Marino.

https://images.app.goo.gl/dn7ork6UGjngs3p77

Or Pennabilli, which is just a little further from the coast. It's a very special town, originally two towns, Penna and Billi, which are on two adjacent peaks. Pennabilli has a special relationship with Tibet, because a monk from Pennabilli introduced the printing press to Tibet and created the first dictionary of the language. The Dalai Lama has visited Pennabilli twice, and there are Tibetan bells in a park. There is also a Garden of Forgotten Fruits, and a Museum of Calculation, which has instruments from the earliest days of civilization to the computer. There are also sculpture installations and local handicrafts. All in all, I would say there's more to do there than in San Marino. I haven't been there since pre-Covid times, and I hope Pennabilli hasn't suffered too much from lockdown neglect.

https://www.visititaly.eu/places-and-tours/pennabilli-italy-things-to-see-and-festival

In some shops in this area you can find products from the Antica Stamperia Carpegna. These are textiles printed with antique molds using a traditional technique more than 300 years old. The dye is made of rust and permanently colours the fabric a rust red that won't fade, even with bleach. The patterns are traditional, mostly printed on the borders of the fabric.

We happened by chance on their workshop in Carpegna, about 15 minutes drive from Pennabilli. I bought a few things, which I can verify are indeed colorfast, even when bleached. Later we discovered napkins from this workshop being used in a restaurant in San Leo. They don't seem to have an English language web page.

https://www.anticastamperiacarpegna.it/

The national park of Sasso Simone e Simoncello is a vast park in the border area of Le Marche, Tuscany, and Emilia Romagna, with a very unusual landscape featuring rocky mesas. Pennabilli and Carpegna are on the border of this park.
https://www.travelemiliaromagna.it/en/exploring-sasso-simone-simoncello-park/

Last edited by bvlenci; Mar 23rd, 2024 at 05:16 AM.