Borneo wildlife holiday

Old Nov 5th, 2022, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borneo wildlife holiday

Hi,
Would like to go to Borneo with husband and two kids (12 and 15) to see the wildlife. Would have to be school holidays so most likely end July/august or possibly Easter.

Have found many tours/packages/all inclusive holidays but all out of our budget. Is there a cheaper way to do it that would still be safe/not too risky. I don’t want to feel constantly worried that something might go wrong or we might be taken advantage of because of our naivety but can’t afford the luxury of Trailfinders etc.
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 09:20 AM

I don't have a specific recommendation as I didn't like the company I used but look into a Tanjung Puting trip on the Sekonyer River by "klotok" flying into Pagakalan Bun (PKN).

There are a zillion outfits offering this type of trip. You want to stay on the riverboat overnight, don't book into a lodge which will tend to be very humid and buggy. At least when the boats move you get some breeze.

Again I don't have a specific company or boat to recommend.

Old Nov 5th, 2022, 01:56 PM

Here is the top rated company on Tripadvisor

https://www.local-guides.org/indonesia/tanjung-puting/

I do not recommend staying at the Rimba "ecolodge".
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. That’s food for thought.
Have been a bit worried that after flights we wouldn’t be able to afford to do anything, but that would be in budget. Thank you.

Was kinda hoping to look for orangutans in the wild as opposed to at the research centres but need to look into costs of the BRL/other options. We might be too late to book as well.

How hot, muggy, buggy, and uncomfortable might we get? Thinking of potential for moaning children who might also end up hungry if they decide to be picky?
Will they get a good nights sleep on the boat? in Borneo in general?

Old Nov 12th, 2022, 01:31 AM

Firstly, where in Borneo do you plan on going. Your post is tagged Malaysia which is either Sabah or Sarawak. Mlgb has suggested Tanjung Puting which I believe is in Indonesian Borneo.

Secondly, I wouldn't entirely discount Trailfinders. Speak to one of their consultants and tell them exactly what you are seeking. They don't advertise all the options and booking an "inclusive tour" with them can actually save you some money over booking accommodation , tours and airfare independently and provide additional financial protection - ABTA etc.

Thirdly. I would definitely consider visiting the Orangutan sanctuary near the Rainforest Discover Centre close to Sandakan/Sepilok. You are guaranteed a sighting there an you could combine it with a jungle visit either by boat for land where you may or may not see the "wild men of Borneo". The Sun Bears are also worth a look. You could take a trip on the Kinbangtan river which is close to Sandakan and cheaper than many places in Malaysian Borneo.

The are also some national parks close to Kuching where I think it is possible to see Orangutans in the wild, even on a day trip. If you find yourself near Kota Kinabalu it would be worthwhile spending a couple of days at Mount Kinabalu NP not to climb the mountain (though that is an amazing experience ) but to hike some of the trails around the base of the mountain. The scenery is amazing, the hiking easy and it is COOL because of the altitude

"How hot, muggy, buggy, and uncomfortable might we get? " Very! It is the jungle, it will be very hot and very humid and there will be lots of insects and they will bite! Some places may have aircon which can help with sleeping but personally, I would try to go without . You do (sort of) get used to it after a while.

I doubt the kids would have a problem with the food as it is excellent all over Malaysia. Slip in a few Malaysian dishes into the meal plan before you go so the get used to it. Staying I "normal" hotels, the sleep quality wont be any different. Jungle lodges or boats could be an issue though, when my kids where that age they slept anywhere regardless. (Oh that I could!!). One thing I would suggest is to ease them (and you) into the holiday, is to spend 2-3 nights in a nice hotel in KL or wherever to get used to the climate and get over the jet lag. Nice hotels in KL are very reasonable. Singapore, not so much!

There are some photos and detail of our travels in Malaysia over the years in our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/malaysia/
Old Nov 12th, 2022, 12:02 PM

Yes the Tanjung Puting klotok boats are in Indonesia, as is Camp Leakey. When you take the klotok down the Sekyoner River, you do have a chance to see wild orangs, gibbons, and proboscis monkeys if the trees are fruiting. Borneo the island comprises several different nations.

Food was plentiful and delicious on the boats, better than in the "ecolodge".