Search

Lily and S and J Jewlery

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2022, 02:19 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lily and S and J Jewlery

Lily and S & J Jewlery still a good place for sapphires and rubies in Bangkok?
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 10:48 PM

I don't know as I bought mine years ago at SJ with Lily. But, I shopped there for some years and always got great deals. I started to call SJ to see if Lily was still there while in Bangkok in Dec 2019/Jan 2020, but got busy with other things. I have bought both (yellow) sapphires and rubies there. And I also took in some loose Brazilian stones and Lily and I did an earring design and SJ produced them to perfection.

Happy Travels!
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 02:58 AM

I would think twice about buying stuff there. The workmanship and materials IME is not up to the standards I would expect in London. My wife bought a 3.5 carat sapphire ring from there a few years ago. The sapphire fell out and when we had it fixed the jeweller repairing it said that the settings were of too soft metal and that a couple of the small diamonds were actually damaged behind the settings.

Undoubtedly cheaper but whether that represents "good value" I am not so sure.
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 09:53 PM

Crellston: That's unfortunate. Personally, I haven't had any problems with any of my pieces from S.J. and neither has my mom who has worn her pieces regularly for a good decade. I have earrings, bracelets, and a pendant. My pieces are in both yellow sapphires and rubies in gold and with some diamonds. When I got home from Bangkok on that trip years ago, I took my pieces to one of my local jewelers here at home in L.os Angeles County and was told that I had done very well with my purchase. He examined my pieces and didn't find issues with them. I still have them and no problems.
Happy Travels!
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 03:13 PM

It is true that they use higher carat gold in Thailand (and much of Asia) than is used in Europe and North America, so it is softer. I've not had problems with that, as I ask for 18k when I have jewelry made in the US. I have lots of jewelry from S&J and have not had any problems with it. I still recommend them.

Have a good trip, mjs.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 04:55 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Hi Kathie! How are you and Cheryl ? I am sorry to see that you have not been traveling much lately but I am sure you are enjoying the Northwest. It must however seem somewhat tame in comparison to all of your adventures! We are not staying long in Bangkok on this trip as we are heading towards northern Vietnam. Just a few nights at the Sheraton Grande and a day at the weekend market.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 10:11 PM

I've also had nothing but good luck with my SJ Jewelry, I've bought lots of gold (22K) with precious, and also sterling- chains, rings and earrings with semiprecious stones for gifts, and have taken friends there when we were traveling together. Several pieces were appraised (for wholesale) by our different jewelers at above our retail purchase prices, and most importantly, we all love them still!

I've had repairs done twice; once because I decided I wanted the post on a pair of earrings to be moved to the opposite side so they would hang better on my ears ( a year after I purchased it!), and they did not charge me for the modification. Another time, my daughter lost one of a pair of peridot chandelier earrings. They divided the remaining earring's 12 stones and made two earrings, for only the price of the gold hanging part.

I'm sorry you were unhappy with your wife's purchase, Crellston, and I'm not trying to say that these things can't happen, but I have no problem recommending SJ.

SJ story: Just before COVID, my family was dining at a nice restaurant in Honolulu, and were seated right next to HawaiianTraveler and his wife Linda. First thing we noticed was that she, HT, my daughter and I all had on SJ pieces!
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 11:33 PM

No need to be sorry Lucy, we had a different experience. It is that simple. We too had stuff valued for insurance and it was valued at significantly more than we paid. Not that that means great deal as there is only a limited correlation between insurance value and the "real" value and the retail price. My wife wears the ring in question every day as she does her engagement ring. Her engagement ring, (designed by me and manufactured here in England) has had no such issues. Perhaps the SJ stuff is designed and manufactured to be worn on one an occasional basis. However, I do not consider it acceptable to fix a valuable stone in a setting that is not fit for purpose. Nor do I find acceptable to use damaged stones even where those defects are hidden.

As the stone in question fell out when we were taking our grandson to the circus, it was pure luck that it was found. All I am saying is "caveat emptor".

Old Nov 8th, 2022, 09:47 PM

I am not questioning your experience. Quality control does miss things sometimes, but typically SJ provides nice products and excellent customer service.
A correction though; my jeweler was giving me the price that she would pay for the pieces, not inflated insurance values.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 03:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I’m going to be in Bangkok in March and have some jewelry to repair. In all my trips to Bangkok, I’ve never been to S &J. Are they reasonably priced when repairing jewelry? If I want to buy, should I still say Kathie from Seattle sent me, and ask for Lily? I’ve always shopped at a small store near the Shangri-La. It’s been so long though and who knows if they are still there.
Old Nov 15th, 2022, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by lcuy
I've also had nothing but good luck with my SJ Jewelry, I've bought lots of gold (22K) with precious, and also sterling- chains, rings and earrings with semiprecious stones for gifts, and have taken friends there when we were traveling together. Several pieces were appraised (for wholesale) by our different jewelers at above our retail purchase prices, and most importantly, we all love them still!

I've had repairs done twice; once because I decided I wanted the post on a pair of earrings to be moved to the opposite side so they would hang better on my ears ( a year after I purchased it!), and they did not charge me for the modification. Another time, my daughter lost one of a pair of peridot chandelier earrings. They divided the remaining earring's 12 stones and made two earrings, for only the price of the gold hanging part.

I'm sorry you were unhappy with your wife's purchase, Crellston, and I'm not trying to say that these things can't happen, but I have no problem recommending SJ.

SJ story: Just before COVID, my family was dining at a nice restaurant in Honolulu, and were seated right next to HawaiianTraveler and his wife Linda. First thing we noticed was that she, HT, my daughter and I all had on SJ pieces!
How funny that you all were wearing SJ at the same time. I remember when HT and Linda were also buying from them as we were all making purchases starting around the same years. And when I'd go into SJ, Lily would ask how the "group" was. LOL!

As for softer gold, I'm used to it as I've also bought gold in Ghana, the Gold Coast, and it is softer gold. But, I also haven't had any problems with that jewelry.
Happy Travels!