South Wales

Old Oct 17th, 2022, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Wales

What can I do in Wales in 4 days? We love landscapes, nice walks and good food. Any recommendation is much appreciated.
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Travellin_family
What can I do in Wales in 4 days? We love landscapes, nice walks and good food. Any recommendation is much appreciated.
Love to be able to answer this but there is so much information that you have not given.
Time of year, travel arrangements, likes dislikes, ages of family etc etc.
In the mean time look at https://www.visitwales.com/
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 04:06 AM

Without an indication of where in South Wales it is hard to give any recommendations. It is a big and varied area.
We really need more info. When, who, how are you getting about, and so on as VanAarle says.
4 days = 3 nights so does it include getting there and leaving again, so only 2 full days?
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 08:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
So - you picked S Wales for some reason. Let us know what your initial plans are and where you are staying and we can fill in some blanks for you
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your prompt responses. It will be sometime April next year and we will have 4 full days in Wales.
Driving Bath which hopefully will not take too long. We will be driving. We love walking and admiring beautiful sceneries.
Been reading up and I think the 2 main places we definitely want to visit is Brecon Beacons and the Mumbles. Are we being realistic
since we only have 4 days? Thank you.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 07:33 PM

IMO/IME a nice four day itinerary would include Chepstow and Tintern Abbey, a few sites in Brecon Beacons (Llanthony Abbey, Castell Carreg Cennen, general scenery etc.), Swansea Bay/the Mumbles. You could easily visit all these and more from a single base somewhere like Abergavenny or Porthcawl, or lots of other options

Where are you headed after South Wales? That could make a difference re the order you visit
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 09:46 PM

It will be sometime April next year and we will have 4 full days in Wales.
Easter then?
That makes for just 3 nights. Do not to forget that packing unpacking, booking in and out of each hotel takes up a fair bit of your day.
I cannot comment more as your posts still lacks vital information.
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, taken note of the places of interest. The next destination is Bristol
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

It'll be roughly end of April, we are hoping to stay in 1 place (as base) Will need to plan properly so we get to cover as much each day.
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 04:40 AM

I would suggest a base in Carmarthen area. Not far from the end of the M4 highway between south wales and Briton/Bath. Thus easy access.
This will also leave you a huge area to explore . Still do not know what you are looking for. But here are some examples of what can be found.

Pembrey Country Park https://www.pembreycountrypark.wales/
Pembrokeshire Coast National Park https://www.pembrokeshirecoast.wales/
St. Davids Cathedral https://www.stdavidscathedral.org.uk/
Pembrokeshire https://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/e...-pembrokeshire
Castles https://www.discovercarmarthenshire....-to-do/?f=1124
I do hope these suggestions are ok. We still do not know ages and likes/dislikes of the group.
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This from a trip report I wrote 12 years ago, so there may have been changes (At The Bear, for instance). It mentions visiting several of the places janisj listed. You are in Dylan Thomas country and there are several related sites to visit, if you are so inclined.

"Crickhowell, Wales.

We arrived at our hotel, The Bear, in the late afternoon. Loved this place, though, in truth, our bed could have used replacement, and they might want to lose the carpet in the bathroom (a strange custom which I think is dying out). Whatever, the people were friendly and helpful and the pub/restaurant welcoming and good.

Crickhowell is a pretty town perched between Table Mountain and the River Usk. We’d picked it for its proximity to Tintern Abby, Chepstow Castle and Caerphilly Castle and some good walking in the area. I also like the name, which reminded me of Tolkien’s Crickhollow."

A hike and two sites:
"
Drive to Tintern Abbey. Park in the lot, locate the Wye Valley Way and set off for Chepstow, five miles away. The trail climbs hard for about 45 minutes, then levels off into some nice meadow and forest. Fiddlehead ferns and bluebells in bloom. Unfortunately, after about three miles we came upon a diversion -- they’re repairing the path -- and had to finish the last two miles on the road. Still, it is always satisfying to have arrived in a new place on foot. Quick lunch at a cafe in Chepstow, then on to the castle.

I had wanted to visit Chepstow ever since reading about it in the book “Life in a Medieval Castle,” which I highly recommend. It’s an interesting place because it was built in stages over the years, and you can trace the development of the new defenses and living quarters.

Taxi back to Tintern. Toured the ruins, found them as evocative as I had twenty years earlier. Shot a lot of pictures, and you will too."

"
A lot of driving.

Started to Caerphilly Castle. This is an interesting castle, historically, as it was the first to incorporate concentric walls from the beginning. It;s very well preserved. There were arrangements being made for a wedding in the Great Hall -- Chairs draped in white material with ivy fronds attached to the backs with ribbon.

Decided to return [last visited 30 years ago] to Worm’s Head at the tip of the Gower peninsula, past Swansea. Lunch at the King Arthur Hotel. Very good fish and chips served by a stunning waitress who did not forget us. A little too overcast for the best photos, and there was a tremendous wind blowing, but it is still a dramatic scene. The worm in question is of course a dragon, and not a common earthworm, as the author of certain guidebook which shall remain nameless seemed to think.

Off the Gower and north to Carreg Cennan in the Brecon Beacons -- near a town called Trap. Built in the 13th century by Edward I on a site which had been fortified by iron age people as well as the Romans. The castle stands ruined on the hilltop, the views are superb. Saw a smartly colored magpie in a field on the return.

Back to the hotel. Roundtrip of 200 miles in the trusty A3 (Audi rental).

Dinner at the pub -- slow braised Welsh lamb shanks on a carrot and parsnip mash."
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 06:31 AM

You are traveling from Bath to South Wales to Bristol?? Bath and Bristol are 10 miles apart (the outskirts are even closer) so is this the best order for your trip?

Maybe lay out you entire itinerary and we can see if other optons make more sense.