Europe in January

Old Oct 16th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe in January

I have a big birthday in January. I know it’s last minute but I’d love to go somewhere in Europe that isn’t terribly cold. We love exploring and train travel. Any “must see” places that are mild temps in Jan that you love?
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice. Maybe Lisbon.
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Malaga, Cordoba, Seville, Granada. Palermo, Ortigia. The canaries. Marocco (not Europe but close by and lovely.
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 05:16 PM

Great Spain suggestions from Bilboburger. I did a Seville visit in January a little ways back, with a daytrip to Cordoba, and mornings were cold, but since it was sunny it spiked up near 60 fahrenheit mid-day, and was very enjoyable. To get it any warmer the Canaries can have temps approaching the '70's, and there are plenty daytrip (and swimming) options there (or consider Marrakech/Fez with temps into the 70's).
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by anneeby
that isn’t terribly cold.
That means what to you? Cold just like heat is subjective. Somebody from the midwest is going to have a different cold tolerance than somebody from LA or Miami.

Truth is I wouldn't really call much of Europe cold. There are January's here in Rome that people are on the beach. It's not sweltering but it's not what I would call cold either.
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 01:55 AM

Canaries are popular with Europeans for winter breaks, but I doubt you will find any train travel there. Southern Spain seems the best bet for mild winter weather.
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 03:16 AM

Southern Spain can be cold and wet during the winter. Warm sun is not to be guaranteed.
https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...-in-spain.html
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 03:33 AM

True, and that applies to just about everywhere in Europe, but who wants to travel from overseas (I assume) just to visit the Canaries, especially when you love train travel? If it’s warm weather you want, there are places much closer to home for most overseas visitors.

Last edited by Heimdall; Oct 17th, 2022 at 03:52 AM.
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 07:47 AM

Last minute? It's October, you have plenty of time to plan the trip. Intra-European travel doesn't need to be booked several months in advance.

I don't know what you mean by "terribly cold" or "mild temperatures", but Sicily should be the warmest place that you can really explore by train, and it's definitely a worthwhile destination. The weather might be sunny with blue skies, or overcast and rainy, it's hard to say in advance, but it won't be cold, unless you go up in the mountains.

Mediterranean Spain is another good option, although the part with a railway along the coast (in the east) doesn't have guaranteed warm, sunny weather in January, and the part with almost guaranteed nice weather (the coast of Andalusia in the south) has no railways along the coast, necessitating a trip inland or a bus/car, if you want to explore. Still, Andalusia sounds good.

The Canaries and Cyprus probably have the best chance of sunny weather in January in the EU, on top of being fairly warm, but they're hardly in Europe geographically and have no railways.

Crete and the Greek islands in general have no railways and a similar weather to Sicily. Mainland Greece can get relatively cool in the winter, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by mbrevitas; Oct 17th, 2022 at 07:49 AM.
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 01:25 AM

Antalya
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 02:15 AM

Why not embrace the cold and visit places that are normally packed in the summer? Or head to Scandinavia for some spectacular winter train trips. Ditto Switzerland.
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't it be cold there without natural gas for heating? (the Russkies having blown holes in their own pipelines)
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 05:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Given that Stockholm gets less than seven hours of daylight in January, to enjoy the winter scenery, it would have to be a short train ride.
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 05:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by neckervd
Antalya
Based on my visit in 1980, I would agree.

However, it in Asia Minor and I have heard that the obnoxious German tourists have been replaced by Russian tourists.
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 06:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"tourists" ;-)
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by cdnyul
Given that Stockholm gets less than seven hours of daylight in January, to enjoy the winter scenery, it would have to be a short train ride.
You can get from Stockholm to Oslo in 6 hours and from Oslo to Bergen in 6 and half hours. The most scenic parts would be in daylight.
Head up country in Sweden for Northern Lights.

Or choose to go to an over touristed summer place and enjoy a more relaxed vibe, Venice for instance. Travel by train through Italy.
There is nowhere in continental Europe that can guarantee reasonable weather in January, not even southern Spain or Portugal.

You want Europe and warm weather then St Maarten/Curacao/Bonaire/Guadalope/Martinique/Mayotte/Reunion...
All technically parts of Europe just as the Canaries are. No trains though.