Christmas markets dates changed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read another post that some Christmas Market dates have been changed because of the energy crisis. What is the best source to see the changes? I read Metz was changed but cant see it on the official websites
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 09:30 PM

I just found the Christmas market on a website about Metz events and it was supposedly updated 6 days ago. The dates are 18 Nov - 24 Dec, and because of the energy crisis there won't be an open-air ice rink this year:

https://tout-metz.com/marches-noel-m...022-589236.php

Use Google Chrome to read it and you can use the translate function that comes up in the space bar if you don't read French.

Lavandula
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I looked at the official website and couldnt find it. My heartache for Europe
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 05:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Many cities are still making up their minds.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 06:13 AM

I think you will have to check market by market. The problem is that all the markets are independently organised and the cities - at least in Switzerland - are in charge of making the rules about how late lights can be on. There are other factors too - for example Bern's Christmas markets start the first weekend in December this year (normally they start the last weekend in November) because the annual Onion Market is on Monday 28 November and clearly they can't have both running at the same time!
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 05:08 PM

Onion Market? Learn something every time I check in to Fodors!
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 11:20 PM

It is a very old tradition. Some say it dates back to the fire of 1405 when Fribourgois farmers helped the people in Bern salvage their possessions and ever since then the farmers have been allowed to sell their onions in Bern. It is held on the 4th Monday in November (28th this year). I first went to it in about 1969. It was really lovely, very traditional with onion sellers but also many craftsmen. Since then I have been back two or three times but the last time I had the impression that it was more of a drinking festival than an onion festival. It starts at 0600 and that's also when people start to drink! IMO it is interesting but also something one might want to avoid.
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 09:23 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...rgy-costs-soar

Times they are lit may have changed, and lights my be less than in the past.
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...rgy-costs-soar

Times they are lit may have changed, and lights my be less than in the past.
That is certainly true in my home town here in the Valais. Normally our main street is decorated with lots of lights. Not this year. Our local castle is normally floodlit all night - not lit at all now. The town's Christmas tree used to be lit all night - now the lights will go off at 2200, and so on...
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 04:38 AM

The lights on the Champs Elysées this year will only be from 1700 to 2345. In past years they were on until 0200.
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 02:11 PM

Basel's looks ready to open on schedule this Thursday through December 23. Hours are 11 am to 8:30 pm, except the 23rd, when the Barfusserplatz market closes at 8 pm and the Munsterplatz one closes at 6 pm. https://www.basel.com/en/events/chri...ristmas-market

Vendors were working on their booths for the past few days and will be doing their finishing touches on Wednesday.

Last edited by WeisserTee; Nov 22nd, 2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 10:33 AM

All of the Christmas markets in France are in full swing right now, but a lot of people are having to adjust to the new regulations. Outdoor heating is now totally forbidden, both in eating areas and also the little heaters to warm the feet of the merchants under the counter. People became complacent about this waste of energy over the years, but they are now back to real life. Perhaps this will stimulate sales of mulled wine and hot chocolate.
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Hambagahle
I ...Bern's Christmas markets start the first weekend in December this year (normally they start the last weekend in November) because the annual Onion Market is on Monday 28 November and clearly they can't have both running at the same time!
Oh, no! Warring scents of onion and cinnamon!