New Zealand in November Itinereary

Old Oct 5th, 2022, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand in November Itinereary

WE fly into Aukland in mid November. Spending five nights there and will fly to Christchurch to begin our tour of South Island. We have rented a car and will drive from CHC to Nelson for a three night stay. The plan is to make our way around SI and see the sights that we pass through. From Nelson we are planing on taking the coastal roads to Wainapa with an overnight or two there. Then on to Dunedin with an overnight somewhere in between (thoughts/suggestions). 4 nights in Dunedin with sightseeing/shopping daily.
The plan is to make our way to Milford Sound for 2 nights. Any suggestions on places to stay there or near there are welcomed. Then its on to the Queenstown area for 6 nights. Places to stay/eat/must see sights are welcome please. We are a senior couple with a moderate budget and we won't be hiking but do plan on doing short walks if we see any to take advantage of. We then will go back to CHC for an overnight before our flight the next day home. Will we be able to use our iphones to act as our road maps in NZ?

Any suggestions or insights are welcome!
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 02:50 PM

Hi. How long will you have for your entire trip?

My initial thought is you might be spending too much time in Auckland. Then, again, I don't know what you have planned for Auckland; I'm not aware of your specific interests or if you have friends to visit there. If you don't have much planned for Auckland, however, you might consider shaving a two or three nights off Auckland so that you'll have more time for driving around the South Island. Or consider flying into Auckland, then transferring to a flight to Nelson or Christchurch, leaving Auckland for the end of your trip. That way you'd be closer to your departure city and you'd also be able to do some last minute shopping without having to pack and carry your Auckland purchases with you throughout your trip.

As to the rest of your agenda, could you please tell me more about the route you will be taking, as I am not familiar with Wainapa. Could this be a spelling error? Could you be referring to Waipara, the wine region along the Canterbury coast between Kaikoura and Christchurch? Also it seems like you might be doing some backtracking, which you definitely don't want to do, given our South Island roads. If you have three week for driving around the South Island, you can do this (it's kind of a loop):

Day 1 Fly to Nelson.
Day 2 Day trip to Abel Tasman NP (boat cruise, maybe go for a short walk).
Day 3 Drive to Punakaiki, stay Punakaiki (many nice short walks) or continue to Hokitika (after walking to the Pancake Rocks)
Day 4 Drive to Franz Josef Glacier village, stay FJG (short walks here)
Day 5 Drive to Wanaka, stop at Lake Matheson, outside of Fox Glacier village, on the way, do Lake Matheson walk.
Day 6 Wanaka (wineries, walks)
Day 7 Wanaka
Day 8 Queenstown (shopping, gondola, lake cruise, jet boat, wineries)
Day 9 Queenstown (explore nearly Glenorchy or Arrowtown)
Day 10 Te Anau
Day 11 Te Anau (day trip to Milford Road and Sound)
Day 12 South Catlins (Curio Bay and Porpoise Bay, Cathedral Caves, so on)
Day 13 North Catlins (Nugget Point Lighthouse walk, and more)
Day 14 Dunedin
Day 15 Dunedin
Day 16 Aoraki Mt. Cook
Day 17 Aoraki Mt. Cook (walk all or part of Hooker Valley Track)
Day 18 Akaroa (bay cruise, explore this cute coastal village)
Day 19 Morning in Akaroa, afternoon drive to Christchurch
Day 20 Christchurch

You'd miss some highlights (Arthur's Pass, Golden Bay, Kaikoura, Picton/Blenheim/Marlborough, and more), but you'd see a lot.

I live in Dunedin so I can suggest sights of interest in the vicinity, best place to stay, shops, etc., but, again, it would be helpful to know more about your interests Mainly people come to Dunedin to see the wildlife (albatross colony, penguins, sea lions, fur seals, lots of native birds, so on.) The Otago Peninsula is home to some fantastic scenery. The city is also known for its heritage architecture as it was made prosperous in the late 1800s by the Central Otago Gold Rush (our region, "Otago", also includes Queenstown, Wanaka, Oamaru, and the North Catlins).and by the first shipments of frozen meat to England (this was a big game changer). We also have lots of beautiful beaches, but chances are they could be cold in November. But they're great for walking on. (At the moment, it's snowing--though this is not typical.)

Here's a link to a South Island touring map (page 2):
https://www.newzealand.com/assets/To.../p23573_23.pdf
As you can see, the Southern Alps runs down the middle of much of the length of the South Island.

When driving around NZ use Google Maps or NZ Transport Agency for basic drive time estimates. The latter will include road works or traffic accidents that might slow you down or make roads impassable (road slips and other weather-caused problems). For weather updates, check Metservice. It'll be fairly reliable for telling you the weather up to two days in advance, beyond two days will be somewhat unpredictable. Also, it'll suggest how many layer of clothing you should wear. They will also list tide times, which will be useful if you plan on walking on beaches.

Neither Google Maps or NZ Transport Agency will take into account scenic stops, "comfort" stops, or being stuck behind a large, slow-moving motorhome or somebody that doesn't want--or can't--pull over to let those behind pass (note there are frequent places along the roadway to pull over). South Island roads can be narrow and winding. You may come across a one-lane bridge or an unsealed road. Sometimes distracted drivers might cross the center line (this applies to both Kiwis or visitors) or forget to stay left--though roads shouldn't be too busy in November There are often roadside arrows reminding drivers to stay in the left lane, but if they're not used to this, they can forget, especially if they're unaccustomed to driving on the left .

Last edited by Diamantina; Oct 5th, 2022 at 02:55 PM.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 04:16 PM

Could you have meant to write Wanaka instead of Wainapa? (Or maybe you were "auto-corrected"). Wanaka would make total sense to your route!
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi, many thanks. Yes. it is Waipara my error.

We need to be in Aukland as we are visiting a friend for an event and air tickets are already bought. We will have just about three weeks in SI so I will try to see enough but not overdue it this time around. maybe next time if we enjoy our time there. Our interests include wild life sightings, breathtaking scenery, short walks on the beach, good dining venues (and libations lol) 4 star accommodations and taking it easy while doing it all

I like your idea of doing Qtown before we travel further south and will look into that routing further. Looking now at your websites you left and they look great! Any palces to stay and eat in Dunedin or elsewhere are welcomed. We will have a car so free parking would be great. Will be back with more questions I am sure as I digest all your new information.
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I would say, Waipara (not be confused by Wairarapa near Wellington on the North Island) is the third most important wine region on the South Island, after Marlborough (whose wineries mostly radiate from the town of Blenheim) and Central Otago (close to Queenstown and Wanaka). The Nelson region also produces high quality wines. While I've been wine tasting in Waipara a few times, I've never stayed there, opting to stay in Kaikoura instead. However, I believe Melnq8, a frequent visitor to NZ, has stayed there and covered this area in her numerous trip reports.
Meanwhile, have a look at https://www.newzealand.com/nz/waipara/
Old Oct 7th, 2022, 12:47 PM

I've stayed in a few unusual places near Waipara. One was the Waipara Sleepers (converted train carriages). One of the fun things was the free eggs from their chickens. You probably will want to email them direct if it's an option for you (more of a backpacker type place) https://www.waiparasleepers.co.nz/

Another was not in Waipara but in Gore or Cheviot, I was desperately trying to escape bad weather around the Alps so just drove east until I saw sunshine. The crazy bit was there was a notice to boil water. I think someone laughed at me when I told them where I had stayed, very rural. Noisy sheep.

I would try AirBnB or equivalent or for a more civilized location maybe there is a motel in Amberley or Culverdeen. I think it is going to be super busy in NZ in November with the lockdown lifted.

A winery restaurant that has retained its status is Amisfield near Arrowtown .

PS I am scheduled to join a NZ tour myself, mid November to mid December time frame. They haven't disclosed our hotel bookings so can't help with what is availalble. My last visit was over 10 years ago but as far as winery areas, Martinborough is also wonderful if you like reds. Another option would be to fly between Auckland and Wellington, visit Martinborough and take the ferry from Wellington to Picton, continuing on a South Island loop. You could take the train from Picton to Kaikoura with a stopover continuing on to Chch, and then rent a car from there. (Note that trains do not run daily). I prefer driving over Arthur's pass to the train. So can do the big loop around to Chch and then fly back to Auckland for your return. Some times it worked out as well to start or end a circuit in either Dunedin or Queenstown if the car drop fee wasn't too bad.

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 7th, 2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old Oct 7th, 2022, 06:04 PM

I figured you might be visiting with friends in Auckland or had another major reason for being there. In a way, this is good because it'll be warmer by the time you make it to the deep south (and hopefully less windy, too). Downtown Auckland is bustling, but things quiet down as you move farther from the city center. Perhaps your friends have planned out your Auckland itinerary for you, but, if not, I would recommend a day trip to Waiheke Island (pick a day with good weather). Waiheke Island's wineries offer good wine, wonderful views and many of them have restaurants.

Fuller's ferry to Waiheke leaves from Auckland's downtown ferry terminal or from Devonport. It lands at Matiatia Wharf, where you can jump on a public bus that will take you to many of Waiheke's top wineries and to beautiful, scenic Onetangi Beach (which is the bus terminus). The public bus will drop you off at Wild on Waiheke, which is close to Stonyridge, Te Motu and Tantalus. The bus will also drop you within a five-minute walk from Cable Bay Vineyards and Mudbrick Winery will be another 10 minute uphill walk along the same road that took you to Cable Bay. From Cable Bay, you can easily walk back down to the ferry terminal on a quiet, off-road nature reserve trail. To make touring Waiheke easier, Fuller's also offers a "Hop-Off Explorer Bus" (note they haven't posted their summer hours yet).
Sealink also runs a vehicle ferry to Waiheke from Half Moon Bay in East Auckland, which might be handy if you decide to visit Waiheke with your friends. Having a car will make it easier to get to out-of-the-way wineries like Man O' War and Passage Rock.
However, you don't have to go out of your way to enjoy fine wine and views on Waiheke. Most are very easy to get to.

In November, you will be able to visit the Muriwai Beach gannet colony on Auckland's beautiful and rugged West Coast. There are several nearby wineries around Kumeu, including Kumeu River, Cooper's Creek and the Hunting Lodge. I took these photos below in November 2018 or 2017 from the colony's viewing platform. Admission is free as is parking.

By the way, Villa Maria has an Auckland tasting room near Auckland Airport. Villa Maria's wines are widely available, but some of their harder to find wines can be found here.

Muriwai Gannet colony

Muriwai Gannet colony

Muriwai Gannet colony

Muriwai Gannet colony

If you are interested in native birds, you might consider visiting Tiritiri Matangi Island, which like Waiheke, is in Hauraki Gulf. However, this involves a longer and more expensive ferry ride from Viaduct Wharf in downtown Auckland (but not long if leaving from Gulf Harbor). It's an all-day trip. The predator-free island is home to native birds that are harder to find on the mainland. I don't think the ferry goes there every day.
https://www.exploregroup.co.nz/

This is a useful link for Waipara wineries and more (accommodation, restaurants):
https://www.northcanterburywines.co....r-doors-banner
Many of these wineries have restaurants and sometimes accommodation.
We often drink Waipara wine at home. I'd try to visit Black Estate, Greystone/Muddy Water, and Pegasus Bay. Maybe Waipara Hills and Waipara Estate. Pyramid Valley's pinot noirs and chardonnays often gets high ratings (I can't remember if I've ever tasted them); its tasting are by appt. only.

Last edited by Diamantina; Oct 7th, 2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 07:26 AM

My favorite Waipara winery for a cellar door visit is Torlesse (Omihi Road is their premium label). Glad to see they are still in the hands of the founding family, open 7 days when not busy with private function. Good chance you will get one of the owner/winemakers to pour.

Note: If season was right, they may have a Sauternes style late harvest if you like that type of wine. Their Facebook Page has various wine event listings.

PS the beer is good in NZ too!
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 03:38 PM

Regarding hotel/motel/lodge suggestions for Dunedin. I would suggest staying at St. Clair Beach, along the Esplanade. These include Hotel St. Clair, Esplanade Apartments, and The Hydro Esplanade Apartments. On the block behind the beach there's Majestic Mansions. I believe all of these accommodations have a choice of rooms/apartments with ocean views and free parking. There are several restaurants on the Esplanade. Titi, one of the best restaurants in town, is on the ground floor of the Hotel St. Clair. It offers fixed priced meals that change and is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. If dining at Titi make sure you book a ocean view table at the front of house in advance. The food is excellent. Saltfish is also good, more casual, no ocean views. There are three other restaurants along the Esplanade.

If you enjoy swimming, there's a heated (82F) outdoor public pool at the end of the Esplanade. There are also a few shops, a hair salon and spa. A grocery store, selling food (including fresh produce), wine, stamps, and flowers is a few blocks from the beach and located next to a butchery and across the street from a fish and chips shop.

If you'd like to do a wildlife tour, Elm and I think the Monarch Cruise will pick you up from your accommodation. If returning late from your tour, please make sure you'll have something tucked away in your fridge to eat on your return as restaurants generally don't stay open very late. If the Monarch Cruise can't pick you up from your hotel, its dock near downtown Dunedin is easy to get to (10 to 15 minute drive) and free parking is available. There are also many cafes close to its dock.

You mentioned shopping while in Dunedin (if there's something in particular you'd be shopping for, please send me a pm and I can be more helpful in directing you to the right shops). The bus departs on the street behind the Esplanade and will get you to the heart of downtown Dunedin in 30 minutes (more or less). This would save you the need for driving in horrible traffic (due to major downtown renovations/construction) and save you the cost of parking and the confusion of finding a parking spot. But if you'd like to drive, it would 12 to 15 minutes. Downtown Dunedin is compact and walkable. If you stay on this same bus and ride it beyond downtown Dunedin, it'll take you within a block of the Otago Museum and a few minutes beyond this, to the Botanic Garden. The bus fare is $2. However, if you plan on visiting the Botanic Garden, I would recommend driving as there's plenty of free parking and within the garden itself you'd be doing a fair bit of walking. The botanic garden, NZ's oldest, is beautiful but most enjoyable on a sunny day.

As I said, there are currently a lot roadworks and construction in downtown Dunedin. It's going to be a mess for a while. Our famous Dunedin Railway Station is covered in scaffolding, as they do earthquake strengthening and fix the roof. Part of George St., our major shopping street, is being made more pedestrian-friendly, so half of the street is torn up, but you can still access the shops. A new Dunedin Hospital, the major hospital for Otago and Southland, which also serves as the teaching hospital for the University of Otago Medical School, is being built just streets away from the old hospital. The Octagon is still a pleasant spot of relative calm with lots of outdoor dining options, the city's Public Art Gallery, the historic Town Hall and St. Paul's Cathedral.

However, if you would like to stay downtown, the best choices would probably be The Chamberson, Distinction Dunedin Hotel, Ebb, and Fable. I'm surely forgetting to mention one or two. These downtown hotels are closer to shops, restaurants, Toitu Museum, the Dunedin Railway Station and Saturday morning Otago Farmers Market, and the Octagon, First Church of Otago, and Dunedin Public Art Gallery. At the same time, downtown Dunedin can be noisy. A quieter choice would be Bluestone on George on the periphery of the downtown area. It's closer to the Botanic Garden, Otago Museum and University of Otago (NZ's oldest university), but also within walking distance of the shops.

If you plan on spending most of your time on the Otago Peninsula, you might consider Larnach Lodge and Stable Stay or their more luxurious (and pricey) option, Camp Estate Larnach Castle. If you wanted to get into the city, you'd have to drive on the narrow, winding (but scenic) peninsula roads. It can be a little unnerving, especially if there are also a lot cyclists on the road orr of driving at night.

I would highly recommend dining at Balmac No. 7 while in Dunedin. There are many nice casual lunch spots in Dunedin. Ironic Cafe is across from the Railway Station. Nova is on the Octagon, on the ground floor of the Public Art Gallery. Here's an article about dining in Dunedin. I can't remember when this article was published.
https://www.cuisine.co.nz/dunners-youre-on/

I strongly go along with mlgb's suggestion of Amisfield Restaurant (near Lake Hayes between Queenstown and Arrowtown). Book in advance. Make sure you get there in time to do a wine tasting as this is also a very fine winery. (I'm going to have to try Torlesse wines as I've been curious about them for a while--thanks for the tip, mlgb.)

In my opinion, NZ's most attractive wine regions are Central Otago and Waiheke Island and they couldn't be more different in terms of wine varietals and landscapes.

Public heated saltwater pool at St. Clair Beach

St. Clair Beach, walking toward The Esplanade

The Esplanade

Surfer, St. Clair Beach

Surfers at sunset, St. Clair Beach. The sun sets in the West, but, nonetheless, on the East Coast, the skies turn pinkish-magenta-golden as the sun goes down. Sunsets from the beach can be spectacular.

Looking down St. Clair from Lawyer's Head (at the opposite end).

Last edited by Diamantina; Oct 8th, 2022 at 04:13 PM.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 03:58 PM

Beautiful photos Diamantina! I wonder if the rhododendrons season continues into November?

Another garden to visit is Glenfalloch. You can reserve for their restaurant, it has a good search function for alternative dates if closed.

https://glenfalloch.co.nz/glenfalloc...nd-restaurant/

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 8th, 2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 04:22 PM

You're very kind, mlgb. My photo filing system is so disorganized. Basically, it's a Glad ziploc bag with a bunch of unmarked SD discs. I have such trouble locating photos.

Not sure about the rhododendrons, early November for sure, but by late November/early December, maybe not. Right now, the spring blossoms are putting on a grand show (cherry blossoms, daffodils, magnolia, kowhai, rhododendrons).

And you're right about Glenfalloch Gardens. Lovely cafe, so serene with beautiful harbor views. I believe the chef at Titi used to be the chef there.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 05:16 PM

I had been to the Rhododendron Festival a time or two, it was in October IIRC. Once I got to golf at Balmacewen as part of the festival, paired with an elderly gent who was the groundskeeper and planted a lot of the rhodies there. He was happy that we won a prize and he took a plant home with him. He grew up near Ranfurly. I don't know if many visitors make it up to the Maniototo but I had seen Grahame Sydney's paintings during my travels so made a point of including it in one of my driving loops.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 04:41 PM

In my previous post I meant to write (under one of my photo captions), "sunrises from the beach can be spectacular."
Images below: (I couldn't decide which photo was the best):
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-su...-94525836.html
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/your-news...st-clair-beach
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/your-news...lair-esplanade
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/your-news...t-look-sunrise
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/l...as-washed-away
This lists sunrise/sunset times.
https://sunrise.maplogs.com/saint_cl...and.84160.html

Some random food suggestions.. While driving around the South Island, you might want to try Green Lipped Mussels when passing through Havelock (on your route between Marlborough and Nelson). Kaikoura is known for the local crayfish. NZ is the world's leading exporter of venison. You might want to try some venison medallions while you're here. If you like lamb, you're coming to the right place. If you like beef, be aware the names of certain cuts are different in NZ. Scotch filet is ribeye with the bone removed. Eye filet is filet mignon. NZ has very high quality honey. When I visit friends outside of NZ, they all enjoy gifts of honey more than bottles of NZ wine (which has become widely available internationally). I don't even have enough time to get into the types of fish available, but I will say the local farmed salmon is King Salmon (also known as Chinook), which is native to the North Pacific. Bluff oysters are loved here, but they won't be in season in late November-early December. But you will find Pacific Oysters.

In terms of fast food, NZ pies are worth trying. This article will give you an idea:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/exper...in-new-zealand
But they omitted a Dunedin favorite, "Who Ate All The Pies?". They sell their pies at the Dunedin Railway Station Otago Farmer's Market (my husband's favorite in the venison in red wine sauce pie)
https://www.whoateallthepies.co.nz/
They're also available in our local New World Supermarket, but must be reheated.

You'll find farmers markets in most towns and cities. These are most often held on Saturday or Sunday mornings, some are only open in summer.
Here's a link to a produce seasonality chart:
https://www.produce.co.nz/seasonality-chart/
If you make it to Cromwell, there are great produce stands around there. Some of the best Central Otago wines (especially Pinot Noir, Riesling and Sparkling wines) can be found in Cromwell as well as in nearby Bannockburn, Lowburn, Pisa, and Bendigo.Between Cromwell and Queenstown, you'll pass through the Gibbston Valley, where you'll also find many wonderful wineries. Quite a few of these wineries have restaurants that take full advantage of the local produce.

I'm not much for desserts, but Kiwis love their pavlova. There is an ongoing rivalry between NZ and Australia as to where this originated.

mlgb, you were lucky to have been here for the Rhododendron Festival. I'm not sure that it's held anymore. Instead, I think the garden holds an annual rhododendron sale. Grahame Stanley's paintings are gorgeous! The Dunedin Public Art Gallery has a very nice one.

Last edited by Diamantina; Oct 9th, 2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 11:47 PM

Oops. I meant Grahame Sydney (my mind was elsewhere). This is a link to his painting in Dunedin's Public Art Gallery.
https://www.grahamesydney.co.nz/hint...c-art-gallery/
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions! Beautiful pictures Diamantina! I will be taking the road south to FJG after Nelson and most of your suggestions the rest of our trip. Now to the booking lol.

Aloha!
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 04:48 PM

I wonder if we will be on the same flight, hawaiiantraveler. I am going via Honolulu, on HA 16 November. Wouldn't that be something!

The tour company recommended the following hotel near Christchurch Airport: Airport Gateway Motor Lodge. They are on the third party websites such as hotels.com, etc.

NZ has an excellent chocolate manufacturer, Whittaker's, if you are needing gifts to take back home. Sadly, the Cadbury chocolate factory in Dunedin is no more.. What a great tour that was!

You can still tour Speight's brewery however, with free tastings at the end!
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 02:18 PM

hawaiiantraveler and mlgb, thanks for the compliments on my photos.

mlgb, yes, it was crushing to see Cadbury pack up and leave town. I believe the artisan local chocolate factory, Ocho, offers chocolate tasting and factory tours. https://ocho.co.nz/pages/chocolate-tasting-tour
In addition to Speight's Brewery, Emerson's Brewery also offers brewery tours:
https://emersons.co.nz/brewery
This brewery has a popular and stylish "taproom" with lots of outdoor seating.
https://emersons.co.nz/taproom.
Sadly, Dunedin's New New New Brewery, a craft brewery, has just been put up for sale and I think its closed its doors, but it was a nice place, too, and had a pretty lively taproom prior to Covid. However, Noisy Brewery has just opened a new taproom next to Ironic Cafe, located across the Dunedin Railway Station and Saturday Morning Otago Farmers Market.
https://www.odt.co.nz/business/brewe...nner-city-move
In just two weeks, the city will hold its 10th Craft Beer & Food Festival. In this university city, this event always sells out!
https://www.craftbeerfestivals.co.nz/dunedin/home

hawaiiantraveler, you're welcome. I hope my advice and suggestions didn't overwhelm you. I can relate to how difficult it is to narrow down the number of places you'd like to see and decide how much time to spend there. There's never enough time to see and do everything we'd hope to do along our routes and at our destinations. I'll often start dreaming of a return trip taking in the places I couldn't get to long before I've boarded my departure flight for home.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and this is great time to visit as your US dollar will go far given the current exchange rate.

Though you'll be here at the start of our summer, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to prepare for our unpredictable and changeable weather by bringing appropriate clothing (think layers). It's hard to know what to expect here. It can go from cold to warm, sunny and clear to cloudy, rainy and blustery all within a few hours, especially if you're traveling from one area to another.

Because it'll be summer, if you have seasonal allergies, don't forget your allergy medication. Luckily, our flu season is already on its way out. On the South Island's West Coast, Fiordland and a few other rural and wilderness areas, you might sometimes encounter aggressive and determined sandflies. They don't carry disease; they just bite and bite. They're not always around and not active at night, but when they are, you'll want to cover up--or get away from them ASAP.

If you need a NZ electronic visa, here is the link
https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/
You also might want to look at NZ Custom's passenger and arrival card. NZ has strict biosecurity rules. Most types of food are okay to bring in, but, if bringing food, you must declare it. The penalty for a false declaration is an NZD$400 infringement fee (or "instant fine").
passenger-arrival-card-april-2022.pdf
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/bring-send-t...rriving-in-nz/
Even if you declare food or sporting gear (such as hiking boots), NZ customs might want to have a look, so please keep track of where you've packed them so you can easily access them for an inspection.
Finally, here's a safety video about driving around NZ.

I hope you enjoy your trip to New Zealand!

By the way, how I wish I could be on that return flight to Hawaii with you!

Last edited by Diamantina; Oct 12th, 2022 at 02:22 PM.