Banff - Late June or Sept?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2022, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my hubby and I are planning a road trip to Banff in 2023. I am torn btw going late June when supposedly the lakes are thawed and showing off their pretty color OR in Sept after Labor Day. Trying to avoid the heaviest of crowds in summer. We're leaning towards Sept but I want to see the lakes with the snow capped mountains in the background. Will everything be more brown in Sept, with only a little snow on the mountain peaks or will it still look just as pretty? Will be traveling by car and have most of our itinerary planned. Just need help on the timing of the trip. Would appreciate any input to help us decide. Thank you!
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 10:17 AM

Here is a blog with photos from a September trip I found on ye olde internet. Not my trip.

https://www.lazylauren.com/banff-national-park/
Old Oct 7th, 2022, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. The places mentioned were already on my list of to do's so it confirmed my plans. I saw a similar request to mine on a blog on Trip Advisor Forum, which cautioned about fire/smoke risk in fall. I think I'm leaning towards June instead because of that. Thanks again.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 09:17 AM

We’ve been Late June, early/late July, couple time August, and most recently mid-September. Late June is nice with waterfalls running full and lots of snow on the peaks. Issue is we go mainly to hike and there was often fairly heavy snowpack on the higher elevation trails. While there was a light snowfall at higher elevations when we went mid-September it didn’t impede our hike. I would say if you are just going for the views late June, if hiking at possibly higher elevations or seeing the Aspens changing color is the goal September.

I will say when we went in September we thought It would be off season and quieter, but it was still quite busy.
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dave. Really appreciate the input. It's great to hear from someone who has been there several times. We are going mostly for the views so sounds like June is best for us. Can't wait to go and see the beauty there! Thanks again.
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Actually Dave, would Johnston Caynon trails be impacted by snow in late June? or Takakkaw Falls and Emerald Lake in Yoho National Park? We also want to drive the Icefields Parkway too w stops Peyto Lake, Mystaya Canyon Trail, Sunwapta Falls, Athabasca Falls, and possibly the Valley of the 5 Lakes trail. Would these be impacted by snow and unreachable? We don't mind walking in a little bit of snow but don't want to have to wear snow shoes. Would appreciate your input on that please. Thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2022, 11:52 AM

I went in mid September a few years ago and it was wonderful. Everything was still green, the weather was mild and comfortable and there were just traces of fall color. It is one of the most spectacularly beautiful areas I've ever been to.

The only place that was really crowded was Lake Louise but if you arrive early before the buses you can avoid the crowds. Otherwise there were few crowds in most places but enough people around to alleviate fear of bears.

Check out my trip report for answers to some of your questions.
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Panecott for the input. I'm just really worried about potential fire/smoke in the fall. I went to National Glacier Park last year and it was smoky and couldn't see hardly any of the beautiful views.
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 12:19 PM

Unfortunately smoke is the reality of western North America's forested regions, and it will probably get worse, arriving earlier in the season than ever before, and going later in the season than ever before. So you can arrive in late June, but whose to say an "unprecedented" forest fire in neighbouring Idaho or California or Washington state or British Columbia won't be blowing in smoke from hundreds of miles away. I know here in coastal BC, we had wildfires in our rainforest (rainforest!) the other year in April because our spring was so unusually dry. And that was never a scenario anyone had imagined before. I don't mean to be bleak, but my point is that you really can't truly predict this. A June arrival doesn't guarantee no smoke. Heck, a May arrival doesn't guarantee no smoke. Yet even going in summer or early fall doesn't mean you'll neccessarily have any smoke to deal with. For example, most of the Rockies were smoke free this summer.

If alpine hiking is a priority, go when alpine hiking is at its best late July, August, early September. The Rockies don't get brown. There is such a tiny window when the Rockies are snow-free, there's no time for anything to go brown before the snow falls again. Having gone alpine hiking in the nearby Cariboo Mountains in the Columbia Range (adjacent to the Rockies/Jasper area) in mid September, you'll be blown away by the scenery then. You may even get snow, as I did in the alpine then. Given the window of hiking is so short, if this a priority, go later in summer and take advantage of the snow-free trails.

Last edited by BC_Robyn; Oct 21st, 2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input Robyn. I understand fires and smoke can be unpredictable. We decided to go in late July. We will have to fight the crowds but I was told by a local that if we wish to see the rushing waterfalls and "full" lakes then that is the best time to go. Hikes by then should all be open and snow-free as well. Thank you everyone for your input. I can't wait to see this magical place!
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 06:39 AM

It's great to see the mountain covered with snow, I am planning to go in September month but I didn't go because of some personal issue so let me know if I can go in mid-November or if December month is a great month or if I just wait till the next June.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 10:29 AM

Go1Mr - if you want to see snow covering the mountains, November and December will give you that, but it's also a limiting time to be there as it's winter in the Rockies then. You need winter clothing and a winterized car (with snow tires, emergency kit, etc.). The Icefields Parkway (the main sightseeing road between Banff and Jasper) is minimally maintained and can be dangerous in bad conditions, and there is no cell phone reception for a good part of that drive. You also need flexibility in your schedule so you can stay put if there's a snow storm (you don't want to be on the road during a snow storm). Seasonal roads, like to Moraine Lake, are closed. Lakes are freezing over. Snowfall makes the hiking trails inaccessible. Seasonal tourism attractions like coach tours, canoeing, and boat tours are closed. Bears are hibernating. It gets dark out quite early (around 4pm) so you don't have a lot of time during the day for sightseeing. Towns are all open with restaurants, cafes, bars, pubs, hotels, gift shops, spas, and hot springs open. It's cheap, except at Christmas and New Year's Eve. In December, the ski resorts open for skiing.

If you want to admire turquoise lakes and drive around casually without any worry, go on small hikes,admire wildlife, etc. and not have to deal with the logistics of winter (winter clothing, de-icing the car, driving slower on ice-covered roads, delaying your travels as you wait out snowstorms, etc.) June would be better than November and December. But if you're up for a winter experience and have flexibility and are okay with more limited sightseeing options, November and December are fine. The Rockies will always be beautiful.