Car rental details- Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2022, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have reserved a car for pickup at Avis in Albufeira in mid-October. My United/Chase Explorer card provides insurance coverage for rentals as part of their benefits, and after talking to them personally today they confirmed this coverage will be in force and to decline the company coverage. I now see Avis requires “confirmation” or documentation when I get the car that this coverage is provided by my credit card or I will be required to purchase their coverage. What is an acceptable form of confirmation or documentation to have when renting that will satisfy this requirement? A letter? A brochure? Showing them the website? I want to have the right stuff. Also, some confusion on the need for an International Driving Permit. Should I get one before we leave? Many thanks…
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 02:09 AM

You could print this out:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...vel-protection

According to AutoEurope Portugal is not one of the countries that requires international drivers permits for those with a US license:
https://www.autoeurope.com/internati...ng-permit-faq/
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I was hoping that print out would suffice…the worst that could happen if that I am required to but more stuff. Also the International drivers permit is confusing and inconsistent so I was unsure.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 11:57 AM

The International Driver's Permit turned out to be useful in my case. Europcar in Lisbon was willing to rent a car (rented through AutoEurope) with just my IDP because I lost my wallet with all ID and credit cards to a pickpocket the day before. What they did not mention but I discovered accidentally is that they had me on record from previous European rentals. So maybe they would have given me the rental without the IDP. Who knows?
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by wildiowa
I was hoping that print out would suffice…the worst that could happen if that I am required to but more stuff.
You know, I have seen far more detailed policy statements for credit cards I have had in the past if you click on a link. I didn't see one on the website. But I can't imagine they will decline if the website specifically says you're covered. I once had a similar situation in Aberdeen, but once the supervisor saw I had an Amex card he just waved it off, and said never mind, Amex covers everything.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 06:37 PM

The car rental agency cannot force you to purchase their coverage. Just say no and stand your ground. They make piles of money selling this coverage and go to great lengths to try to coax renters to buy it. Do a Nancy Reagan and "Just say No."
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 09:03 AM
mjs

I recommend using The Amx car rental insurance if you have a AMX card. Costs something like $16 per rental and it’s primary and easy to use. The caveat is that I last had to use it about 15 years ago ago. Used my Chase reserve about a year ago and it’s still “processing”
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 09:51 AM
mjs

Also if you take out travel insurance, there may be rental car insurance included or cheap to add