Search

Hotel recommendations for New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel recommendations for New Orleans

Hello,
We are planning a quick trip to New Orleans at the end of October. This is a last-minute decision. We will have 4 nights. Our tentative dates are to arrive on October 25 and depart on October 29. Based on some quick research, the French Quarter and the Garden District interests us the most. My husband visited New Orleans in the 1970's and I have never been. We prefer not to spend more than $200 per night. We prefer smaller (non-chain) hotels or inns. But will stay in a chain hotel if nothing else is available at this late date. We don't like pet-friendly places because my husband has allergies.

And I would appreciate restaurant recommendations, too. We love seafood, so gumbo, crawfish, jambalaya would be great. Creole and Cajun food. Prefer to eat where the locals eat.
Thanks!

Old Sep 30th, 2022, 06:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I have not been to New Orleans, but a friend who has been several times likes to stay here:
https://www.frenchmarketinn.com/

Seems to be a good location and gets good reviews, but I don't immediately see info about pets on their website. Looks like they have availability on your dates.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 10:52 AM

It's been years and years since I was there but posters on another travel forum recommended Atchafalaya, Patois and Antoine's (1840).
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 12:29 PM

We were in New Orleans in December. For classic restaurants, we would highly recommend Antoine’s. Galatoire’s food was fine but we found the main dining room too loud and party-ish (think bachelorette noise) and, when seated in a side room, we were forgotten for a long time. Near the excellent World War II museum are Cochon and Cochon Butcher where we enjoyed lunch—focus is on meats, cured meats, sausages—so not for the dieter or the delicate eater. My favorite dinner was at Brigtsen’s; you’ll need a cab from the French Quarter, worth the journey.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in New Orleans for a conference in June. We added a few days to the trip and managed to see and do quite a bit. For restaurants we liked Maypop, Marjie's Grill, Herbsaint and Cochon Butcher quite a bit, as well as Backatown Coffee Parlor for a light brunch and good coffee after a cemetery tour. I found Eater New Orleans very helpful. The Tripadvisor New Orleans forum also has a number of locals who post regularly.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leely2
I was in New Orleans for a conference in June. We added a few days to the trip and managed to see and do quite a bit. For restaurants we liked Maypop, Marjie's Grill, Herbsaint and Cochon Butcher quite a bit, as well as Backatown Coffee Parlor for a light brunch and good coffee after a cemetery tour. I found Eater New Orleans very helpful. The Tripadvisor New Orleans forum also has a number of locals who post regularly.
Where did you stay in New Orleans? I will check out the TripAdvisor forum. Thanks!
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

And thank you to k_marie, Nelson and PrairieHiker1. Will check out your restaurant recs and the French Market Inn.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

k_marie, where did you stay in NO?

Is anyone familiar with the Best Western Plus French Quarter Courtyard Hotel? I know I said we prefer non-chains, but I am finding prices to be a bit high. The Best Western is $204 on booking.com, and it looks very nice.

The hotels recommended on Trip Advisor are high, too. Well above $200.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KarenWoo
Where did you stay in New Orleans? I will check out the TripAdvisor forum. Thanks!
I stayed at the hotel where my conference was, the JW Marriott. I didn't mention it because I'm pretty sure we had a special rate. Location was good for walking to the French Quarter and also taking the St. Charles and Canal Street streetcars.

The hotel Nelson listed looks nice. Have you looked at hotels in the Garden District?

Last edited by Leely2; Sep 30th, 2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Leely2, the French Market Inn looks very nice. I found a AAA rate of $210 so I might reserve it. The French Market Inn doesn't have a restaurant. We usually like to have breakfast at our hotel because it is faster. But on the other hand, it might be nice to try different restaurants nearby for breakfast.

I did look at the Ponchatrain and Henry Howard in the Garden District but they are pricey. What would be a better neighborhood, the French Quarter or Garden District? Are they close to each other? I could look for something less expensive in the Garden District. I am torn between the 2 locations.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 01:20 PM

Try Bourbon Orleans or Hotel Provincial. Both are well located and were reasonably priced when I stayed there, though that was several years ago.
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 11:08 AM

Don’t stay in the garden district-too far from the Quarter. I love Hotel Monteleone (their beignets at breakfast as heaven). I also love Mr B for BBQ shrimp and it is right across the street.

I also love the Hilton on St Charles. Just outside the FQ so it’s quieter but everything is easy walking distance. Herbsaint is just up the street and one my my favorite restaurants. I am not a big fan of Galatoire’s, Arnaud’s or Antoine’s.
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 11:44 AM

Hotel prices are higher in Fall so finding something nice for less than $200 is harder. The Central Business District is just across Canal St and will be less expensive. Very easy walk and quieter (in fact some of my fav restaurants are in the CBD). I often stay in the CBD instead of the FQ. You might take a look at Bienville House-my sister stayed there years ago and was happy with it. Another potential option is ST James Hotel on Magazine Street….again not in the FQ but very short walk.
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sweetannie
Try Bourbon Orleans or Hotel Provincial. Both are well located and were reasonably priced when I stayed there, though that was several years ago.
I checked Bourbon Orleans and Hotel Provincial. They are both expensive, about $50 to $80 per night over our budget so that adds up for 4 nights. What I am finding is that hotel rates double on Friday nights. Unfortunately, our last night is Friday night. I can't change my plans because I have already made airline reservations.

Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by denisea
Hotel prices are higher in Fall so finding something nice for less than $200 is harder. The Central Business District is just across Canal St and will be less expensive. Very easy walk and quieter (in fact some of my fav restaurants are in the CBD). I often stay in the CBD instead of the FQ. You might take a look at Bienville House-my sister stayed there years ago and was happy with it. Another potential option is ST James Hotel on Magazine Street….again not in the FQ but very short walk.
Denisea, I have noticed the hotel prices are very high, and as I mentioned in my previous post, the rates double on Friday nights. I didn't realize hotel prices would be higher in the fall; I thought they would be lower.

Is the Central Business District also referred to as the Warehouse District? A friend suggested looking in the Warehouse District. She suggested Le Pavilion and the Pelham. How long would the walk be from CBD to the French Quarter? I had my heart set on the French Quarter, but I also notice that restaurant prices are quite high, too. My husband would rather spend less on accommodations so we can have more money for good food. We love Cajun, Creole, seafood, especially shrimp and oysters!

I will check out the 2 hotels you mention.
Thanks!
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Still leaning towards French Market Inn.
One reason I am so indecisive is that I am reading reviews, and the same hotel will get awesome reviews and then some horrible reviews. Makes it hard to decide.
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 05:21 PM

I'm afraid the $200 hotel is now the $300 hotel, these days. At least, that's what I've noticed. We just paid over $150 for a Holiday Inn Express on a Saturday night in small town USA.

For oysters, either Felix's or Acme. I love Bayona, it's just such a beautiful room and delicious food. Galatoire's for traditional old school NOLA experience. Oh, and Commander's Palace, it's old school as well, but just lovely and very special. So many places it's hard to stop with recommendations.

Everyone raves about the WWII Museum, we hope to see it next year. There are some nice walking tours in the FQ, the Cabildo has a good one.

Don't stray too far off the main streets in the evening. Have fun!
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Sweetannie, you are right about the hotel room rates, unfortunately! I guess I am spoiled. We were in Greece last May, and the prices were so reasonable. Our most expensive hotel was $230 and that was on Santorini, which is notorious for being expensive.

Thanks for the restaurant recs. My friend recommended Felix's as well. And thanks for the walking tour rec. I definitely want to take a guided tour of the FQ and perhaps the Garden District.
Just looked up the Acme Oyster House. The price is right and the kind of food we love!

Last edited by KarenWoo; Oct 2nd, 2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 02:11 AM

Fall and especially Fall weekends in NOLA are hotel pricey—better weather and football!

yeah-CBD and warehouse are kinda the same area but literally from the Hilton on St Charles it is not even a 5 minute walk. It’s a very compact area.

le Pavilon is gorgeous but it won’t be $200/night.

Peche is also great for seafood and I second Acme for seafood and red beans and rice
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 08:03 AM

We are going in November and staying in the Warehouse District. It's less than a 15 minute walk to the restaurants we are going to: R'evolution and GW Fins, both of which are in the French Quarter. We'll also be walking to the Super Dome for a football game. We like the Warehouse District because it's not directly in the French Quarter but just outside. We are staying at the Virgin Hotel but that's going to be out of your price range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -