Scotland - looking for tour advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2022, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to go to Scotland in June 2023 with husband for around 8-9 days. We usually travel on our own and I (over) plan the trip and my husband drives (a lot). But this time we are looking to do a tour to make it more relaxing. I want to go to Isle of Skye been on my bucket list for years. We are retirees in our early 60's and love to walk and hike. Interested in seeing the beauty of Scotland.

Was looking at "Scotland Train Tours" and also small bus tours. Anyone have any tours they loved and would recommend?
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 06:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely consider Rabbies -- lots of options of 1 day to multi day small group tours (never more than 16 passengers and usually fewer) -- Long established and probably the best in the business unless one wants to spend thousands for posh bespoke private tours.

https://www.rabbies.com/en
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 10:55 AM

Following. I am in the exact same boat!
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 02:40 PM

I did two back-to-back Rabbies tours this past spring, and they were probably as good as you can get for group bus tours! However, if you love to walk and hike, a group bus tour that covers a lot of ground isn't going to allow a lot of time for that. Maybe you can work with Rabbies so that they leave you in Skye, where you can spend a couple of days on your own doing walks and hikes, and then you could catch the end of another tour to get back to Edinburgh or Glasgow or wherever you're staying. You could also arrange for a private tour. One of my Rabbies tour guides was Gill Brown ([email protected]); she also does private tours. She was fabulous and she loves hiking, so I'm sure she could put together a great tour that's a little more active than your average bus tour.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 05:42 PM

My DH and I are planning a trip to Scotland with another couple in July 2023. We had originally planned to do a Rabbies tour because we had a wonderful experience with them on an Ireland tour a few years ago. However, even a great tour doesn't allow for flexibility in the itinerary, so I started looking into private tours through Rabbies and other Scotland tour operators. After reading memejs' trip report, I contacted Gill Brown to get information about doing a private tour with her. She has been very responsive and helpful, and we have booked our tour with her. We'll be going to Mull, Iona, and Skye round trip from Edinburgh. It will be a very similar itinerary to one of the Rabbies tours, but tailored to our preferences. I recommend contacting Gill; we're very excited about planning and taking our tour with her. If you decide not to do a private tour, I highly recommend the Rabbies small group tours.