Spring trip to Mexico? April or…?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2022, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of a spring trip to Europe, we are thinking of going to Mexico for about 3 weeks in the spring. Is April a good month to visit? I’d like to go as late as possible into the spring but before it becomes too hot or too rainy.

We’d spend about a week in Mexico City, then visiting places with strong cultural/historic sites. Not looking for a resort experience, though a few days on a low-keyed beach would be nice (but not a priority). I’m not looking for itinerary suggestions yet - more of a sense of when to go.
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I ahve been to Mexico City in early May and found the weather pleasant, warm during the day but cooling off in the evening.
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 06:47 AM

Hi progol. I’m sure baldone will weigh in. He has lived in MX for many years, I believe. While I have never gone in April, I do believe that due to its elevation, weather in Mexico City is pretty constant year round. 70s to perhaps low 80s I think. If so, that takes care of one of your 3 weeks.
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 07:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
April & May are typically the hottest & driest months in central Mexico. But as the others pointed out, hot is relative at 7,000 feet. Summer months, mid-June thru September, are actually cooler. But it is the rainy season. But that typically means only a late afternoon shower every other day, maybe, sometimes at night, sometimes a real gully washer. But everything is nice and green, and the rains keep the dust down. It's actually my favorite time of year. Lately, mid-70's upper 60's for highs where i live 3 hours north of CDMX.

Last edited by baldone; Sep 29th, 2022 at 07:57 AM.
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! It sounds like April is fine for CDMX, though not so sure about the timing for central Mexico.

baldone, I'm a little confused about the temps in central Mexico, which would be the focus of our trip after visiting the city. If we were to travel in the spring, would April be relatively comfortable outside of CDMX? That is, dry and maybe mid-80s as a high.
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 12:35 PM

April would be better than May although as far as I'm concerned it's still too hot in the lowlands.
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

mlgb,
That’s what I was wondering - if April would still be too hot. I haven’t looked into specific places yet, but I was trying to get a sense as to how late into the spring we could go and still have comfortable weather.
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 05:37 PM

Progol, I think you'll find mostly mild temps throughout Central Mexico, which I roughly define as the the mountainous region between Puebla to the south & San Luis Potosí to the north, and not including coastal areas. You can expect, as you mentioned, mid 80's for an average high throughout the region. Maybe a high 80 or 2 or even a 90 if you hit a warm spell. Queretaro can get pretty warm as it's only at about 5200 ft.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, baldone, that’s very helpful. I have yet to make any concrete plans, but at least I know what to expect.
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Another question - if we were to travel end of March/first 2 weeks of April, we’d be there over Easter. Would that be too busy or crowded in CDMX or Puebla or other central Mexico towns? Or would it be a good experience?

I’m not looking for a resort for spring break!
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 05:22 PM

I can't speak directly to specific cities but yes stay away from the beaches. I have been in several South American countries during this time frame and if there is a big event/festival in specific town, you will notice right away when trying to book lodgings.. If you do manage to be present for some of the processions they are very colorful but crowded.

I don't know how accurate this is but I can Google with the best of them

https://www.learnreligions.com/holy-...mexico-1588769
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by progol
Another question - if we were to travel end of March/first 2 weeks of April, we’d be there over Easter. Would that be too busy or crowded in CDMX or Puebla or other central Mexico towns? Or would it be a good experience?

I’m not looking for a resort for spring break!
Mlgb's assessment is accurate, as is her posted link. Generally, city dwellers like to get away from the big cities, whether that be cdmx, Puebla, Queretaro, Guadalajara etc. They like go to the beach or nearby smaller towns such as San Miguel, Patzcuaro, Guanajuato, Bernal, Tepoztlán, Valle de bravo etc. So, while certain colonias in both cdmx & puebla will for sure have their own celebrations & observations, the cities are typically not holiday destinations from other areas of Mexico. Mexicans generally like the same cities that gringo tourists like for their holidays. So, if you were to spend Easter weekend in either cdmx, Puebla, or Queretaro, it wouldn't be as busy as if you went to acapulco or san miguel.
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, mlgb and baldone. We’re most interested in the cities such as Puebla and CDMX so will consider whether we should travel at another time.

I’d prefer to travel later in spring in the region but just don’t want ti be there when it’s too hot. So I’m considering arriving right after Easter.