Recommended to do in Valletta

Old Sep 27th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended to do in Valletta

We are visiting Valletta Malta in May of next year on a luxury cruise just so we can decompress (I know for some that is not your cup of tea but it is ours so please no judgement). Can anyone recommend what to do in town for the day? Sometimes when we travel we hire a private guide, sometimes we explore the town on our own and sometimes we just pick up a car (or a scooter - we have them at our home) and just drive around and see the scenery. Being only in town a full day (8a - 5p) can limit our options on what we can do but of course, we want to enjoy the town that we are in. FYI…we are not big on taking the group cruise tours.

Anyone have experience with this town and recommendations of what you recommend to do for the day?
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 06:15 PM
J62

Take a walking tour of Valletta,either with a guide or on your own. The military museum / fort is interesting, if that's your thing.

Take a walking tour of Vittoriosa, across the harbor from Valletta. A lot of Knights of Malta history in that area. Best seen with a guide as the streets and buildings all begin to look alike.

Eat lunch right along the quay in Marsaxlokk (small fishing village South of Valletta on the coast) You'll experience a totally different side of Malta there, and can see all the brightly colored fishing boats in the harbor, and eat a fresh, whole fish at any of the restaurants along the quay.
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 09:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I look for historic homes to visit when I travel. Here's my visit to Casa Rocca Piccola in the center of Valletta which I enjoyed very much:

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/mal...-rocca-piccola
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

How cool and interesting of a trip for you!
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 04:00 AM
J62

I should have prefaced my comment with Mela.....
That's one of the few Maltese words I know.... That, and the word heard all throughout a Catholic mass in Maltese... Alla.

Despite numerous attempts I've not been able to wrap my tongue around any other pronunciations. Everyone in Malta speaks Engilish, and most also speak Italian along with the native Maltese which you will hear locals use with each other.

Here's a NatGeo documentary about how Malta withstood the prolonged bombings during the Second World War that Southam talks about in the following post.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...e/vdka12832855

Last edited by J62; Sep 28th, 2022 at 04:16 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 04:10 AM

A dozen years ago I took a walking tour which included a climb down into a cave/cellar where the citizens sheltered from prolonged bombings during the Second World War. Its harbour and air field were critical targets during the fighting in North Africa and then Italy. Britain awarded the entire island the George Cross, a very high honour.
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

That is very cool! I will ask about cave. Thank you…
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 05:48 AM

You may also enjoy the Lascaris War Rooms in Valletta - home to the Allies' war efforts in defending Malta and the retaking of Sicily as well as HQ for NATO for many years. Amazing and moving.
I was in Malta for 3 weeks Sep - Oct 2021 (1 wk on Gozo, 1 wk in Senglea and 1 wk in Valletta. Loved every moment. Numerous archaeological sites if you are interested.