Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2022, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Season: Mid Sept 2022 (End of season)

Accommodation: AirBnb in Skulestadmo (near Voss)

Transport: rental car - SEAT Electric Mii
Recharging mobile applications:
  • Ladestasjoner - recommended by VisitBergen
  • Elton- recommended by Hertz ; it has a route planning function which allows you to plan for electricity usage for your car make
Both mobile applications have covered a fairly significant amount of stations. I didn’t have any anxiety in locating a station.

Weather forecast: Yr
Useful resources:
I was really glad to go on a trip at the end of summer. Airports (Heathrow, Bergen and Oslo) seemed to have calmed down a bit. While the sunshine was here to stay, there was no crowd elbowing.

That is also my first trip on an Electric vehicle. With a bit of planning, it went very smoothly.
This was a fairly easy and relaxing sightseeing trip. The planning was fairly spontaneous. The hyperlinks lead you to the Google map location or routes on tourism office websites.
As it is still fairly chilly in the morning, I tend to do a long driver and museum/visitor centre visit in the morning. I put the trekking in the afternoon when it is the warmest.
Don’t expect this to be an elaborate report. Just wanna showcase how the logistics and itineraries work out on the ground.
Day 1: Car pick up and Osterfjord route
  • Picked up the rental car at 11am in Bergen.
  • Followed the VisitBergen’s Osterfjord route and drove along its bank
1st stop: Mo (circa 2pm).
I was a cautious driver on day 1. There was only a cafe in Mo open on Sunday. That made the natural stop. Photos speak for themselves. There were also a few recharging stations at the car park.
Parking: car park

Toilet: in a cafe

and waterfall
2nd stop: Hesjedalsfossen
It was another easy drive to Hesjedalsfossen (circa 4pm). Perfect for a short stop.
Parking: Layby

Toilet: No

Hesjedalsfossen
Arrival at AirBnB at Skulestadmo (near Voss) (5-ish/6pm)
Day 2: Hardangerfjord (SØRFJORDEN)
Day 2 was a longer drive covering a waterfall, Norsk Natursenter Hardanger (Visitor Centre) and Bondhusdalen
1st stop: Vøringsfossen (circa 11am)
Parking: free car park

Toilet: public toilet

Vøringsfossen
2nd stop: Norsk Natursenter Hardanger (Visitor Centre) (circa 12 noon)
It is worth a visit to have a geography lesson about Fjords etc.

Toilet: in the visitor centre
3rd stop: Eidfjord (circa 1pm)
After a long drive, it was necessary to recharge the EV. It was also time for lunch.

Toilet: No free toilet available, even in a deli
4th stop: Just a resting stop at Brakavik (circa 3pm)

Toilet: free public toilet

Brakavik
5th stop: Bondus (circa 4pm)
This is a 45 mins trek to Bondhusvatnet and Bondhusbrea.
Parking: 100 NOK

Toilet: free public toilet

Some shots on the way to Bondhusvatnet
Return to Skulestadmo around 5pm
Day 3: Balestrand and Gaularfjellet
I was planning for the route in the evening for the following day and found the Norwegian Scenic routes (which I should have found out earlier). https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/...gaularfjellet/
This also gave me an opportunity to get on a car ferry.

Ferry from Vangsnes to Dragsvik ( ferry schedule can be found on Norled website under the Google map listing, or Google the route)
1st stop: Balestrand (circa 11am)
I meant to visit the Norwegian Museum of Tourism. Unfortunately, they had a conference on that day so it was closed. I ended up visiting the St Olaf Church. It was an opportunity to recharge the EV in Balestrand.
Parking: free parking at recharging station

Toilet: did not visit any toilet

St Olaf Church
After lunch at Fløyfisken kafé, there started the scenic route.
2nd stop: Gaularfjellet Stiga (circa 1:30pm)

Toilet: No toilet

Gaularfjellet Stiga

3rd stop: Likholefossen (circa 2:30pm)

Toilet: No toilet

Return from Likholefossen to Skulestadmo

Attached Thumbnails Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-1-image.jpg   Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-2-image.jpg   Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-3-image.jpg   Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-4-image.jpg   Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-5-image.jpg  

Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-6-image.jpg   Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-7-image.jpg   Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-8-image.jpg   Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-9-image.jpg   Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-10-image.jpg  

Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-11-image.jpg   Road trip in Western Fjords on EV at the end of summer (Sept 2022)-12-image.jpg  
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 06:40 PM

Thank you jeffreycwuk for spending the time to go over the logistics, a more practical approach for fellow travelers. If you don't mind, can you share the following info?
  1. Number of days and nights of this trip?
  2. Pick up and drop off spot of car rental? Hefty one way fees?
  3. How's the one night stay for airbnb?
  4. Food price in supermarket for fixing simple dinner?
  5. If you were to do it again, would you choose to drive? Or use public transportation and/or cruise?
  6. Have you been to Switzerland? How do you compare the sights?
We are planning for next year (end of Aug) trip - air tickets booked but will need to decide how many days to allocate to Norway. Any inputs would be truly appreicated!
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

1. Number of days and nights of this trip?
It was a Saturday to Saturday trip.

Day 0 (Sat): evening landing at Bergen airport around 11pm; straight to hotel by tram

Day 1 (Sun): car pick up at Hertz

Day 1-5 (Sun to Thurs) - Road trips; base: Voss

Day 5 (Thurs): afternoon train from Bergen to Oslo (circa 7 hours); arrival at Oslo at 8pm

Day 6 to 7 (Fri to Sat): Oslo

Day 7: afternoon flight from Oslo to UK
  1. Pick up and drop off spot of car rental? Hefty one way fees?
Kanalveien 48, 5068 Reason for choosing this branch was I would take train from Bergen to Oslo. It would be a long de-tour to airport. They also happen to offer a better deal than the one next to the Bergen train station.

No one way fee.

Another option I contemplated was renting the car at Voss, so that I don't have to return to Bergen. That would mean I take the train from Bergen to Voss and pick up the car there.
  1. How's the one night stay for airbnb? Very spacious stay.
1 bed flat which can accommodate 4 people; circa 90GBP per night
  1. Food price in supermarket for fixing simple dinner?
1 grocery visit at Skulestadmo (near Voss) for 2 cost 500 NOK, which included Salmon (1 dinner), Onion, vegetable, bread for breakfast, milk, some snack and cured meat. It is at least double the price of UK Southeast suburb grocery stores.
  1. If you were to do it again, would you choose to drive? Or use public transportation and/or cruise?
I would choose to drive. The road conditions are brilliant. I didn't encounter any potholes at all. The well-supported EV network also means it is possible to travel with less carbon footprint.

Public transport can work, I believe. It might work even better with bike.
  1. Have you been to Switzerland? How do you compare the sights?
It is harder to find substitute of Fjords within Europe I suppose. The closest I can think of is Montenegro. I like the tranquillity in the Fjords area. If I had more time or plan ahead, I might do the glacier walk experience in the national parks, too.

The natural sights in both countries are magnificent. I have to say it is a matter of substitute availability and price.

For Alps experience, I'd say Austria, Italy and Slovenia can offer so.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 04:16 PM

Thank you jeffreycwuk, this is certainly very helpful in my planning. Will look into glacier walk.