Search

NZ-RentalCars

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2022, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ-RentalCars

Planning on renting a car: prefer compact but it must have a trunk cover (so luggage is not visible). TA planning to use Budget, but she won't confirm whether or not they have trunk covers. This is quite unbelievable to me (especially with a hatchback) due to theft risk. I tried calling Budget myself, but the USA main office said the Auckland office would not be able to confirm one way/other.
I ran into this problem in SF at Enterprise (apparently they find base model cars that don't provide trunk covers). Can anyone provide suggestions or advice?
Thank you!
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 11:14 PM

I have owned 3 hatch backs in Australia and don't
understand the need for extra covers. The hard cover for the boot is attached and covers what ever you have in the boot

Old Sep 26th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northie
I have owned 3 hatch backs in Australia and don't
understand the need for extra covers. The hard cover for the boot is attached and covers what ever you have in the boot
Understood...I believe you are referring to the hard cover that attaches to the top of the hatch, slips over the trunk and hides everything in the trunk.. But I'm saying that some rental companies buy base models that DO NOT have that. I have personally experienced an open view through the back of the hatch-everything is visible.
I agree it's crazy. But the TA is unable/unwilling to call the office. Hertz has confirmed that ll their cars have these hard covers you refer to, so I'll use them and the TA will just be out that fee (bc I'll book it myself).