About to book flights - any advice

Old Sep 24th, 2022, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to book flights - any advice

Thinking about the following trip in April 2023. We like to base ourselves somewhere and poke around. Two adults, two boys (9 and 12), We won't be renting a car. Have accommodation in Naples sorted.

Apr 14 Leave Boston
Apr 15 Arrive Naples
April 16 Naples and area
April 17 Naples and area
April 18 Naples
April 19 - Night train to Turin
April 20 -Turin
April 21- Turin
April 22 - Turin
April 23 - Turin
April 24 - Leave Turin

We are thinking to base ourselves in Naples and Turin and maybe take some daytrips (Ischia, hike Vesuvio, Ercolano, Milan, ???)
We are thinking to watch Napoli play in Naples on April 16 and play in Turin (against Juventus) on April 23
We are familiar with Naples (and like it a lot!). Don't know much about Turin/Milan area (but are intrigued). There's a huge furniture festival in Milan around that time though, so it might be hard to find acommodation.

Flights right now are reasonable but we need to book the "light" fare, meaning nonrefundable and we have to pay a change fee. Was thinking that I'd get travel insurance in case there's a snafu. It's school vacation week and we are pretty set on going to Naples + somewhere.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 04:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just personal preference, but I find Pompeii more interesting than Herculaneum, and I think you get a more complete picture of the town if you also visit the archeology museum in Naples where most of the artifacts are housed. Some kids also study Pompeii at some point. I felt the time it took to climb Vesuvius could have been better spent seeing other things/towns, but if you climb Vesuvius, pick a day without rain in the forecast

I hope you and your sons can sleep through anything... I wouldn't get a wink of sleep on that night train to Torino. More than a dozen stops!

Have you planned your excursions from Torino? I like Milan a lot, but you should research what would appeal to the three of you. I'm guessing that walking on the roof of the Duomo would be a hit. Plan your day and make reservations for anything that offers them. Although your kids might not fully appreciate seeing The Last Supper, it's one of those life list treasures that might become a more valued memory when they get older.
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, maybe Pompei may be better. They've already gotten a preview (we visited the Naples Archaeological Museum already).

Looking at flights - we may save a bunch of $ by flying out of Milan Malpensa. So we are thinking to tack on a day in Milan on the last day. We plan to take the train after breakfast to Milan and maybe check out the Duomo on a Monday afternoon? It appears it would be open. Then spend one night in Milan and then take off.
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I consider Pompeii, Herculaneum, and the Archeological Museum as a single entity. Pompeii is the skeleton, stones that survived Vesuvius. Almost all of the art that survives has been removed to the museum to protect it from weather exposure. Herculaneum is smaller. Much of the original wooden features (and art) were preserved until excavated. It is Pompeii with the flesh on the skeleton. When we were in Italy, we toured Pompeii in a morning and a bit of the early afternoon, and added Herculaneum for 2 hours after that. We then did a day in Naples with the museum for the morning, completing the three site tour. By the way, the museum has much more than Pompeiian artefacts, which I consider the soul of Pompeii. We had lunch from the stands outside Pompeii's entrance. Travel was easy by the Circumvesuviana. In Naples it was pizza for lunch.