Day tours from Siena

Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day tours from Siena

I am in Siena studying Italian and unfortunately, this weekend looks like rain. I don't think I want to bus it out of town but would love to see the countryside. I am not a big fan of coach tours but I don't know a lot of people here and want to do something. Are there any decent tours from Siena to a winery (or if it were to stop raining, a short hike, or a farm or?) Open to ideas and experiences. Thank you
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:15 AM
J62

In the nearby town of Poggibonsi there is an open air/ archeological farm/community.

It's easy to get there by bus or train from Siena
Archeodromo di Poggibonsi

I would not call it a top ten destination, but if they may have something going on like a fall festival. You'd have to check the website. Even if there is no festival going on, it's a way to get out of SIena and see the countryside nearby.

Alltrails is an excellent resource to find hiking/walking trails around the world.

You could also hike the nice rail trail walk from Poggibonsi to Colle di Val d'Elsa one way, then get a bus back to Siena from there.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/ital...bbandonata?u=i

Another alternative is a hike along the Else river. Google search for "Sentierelsa Trail, Via dei Cipressi, Colle di Val d'Elsa, Province of Siena, Italy"
There is a nice trail along the river, which will take you to a waterfall. In the summer it's also a swimming hole. The 130 or 131 local bus from Siena would take you right to the trailhead in about 30min. THere may also be a weekend market in Colle. not sure the schedule.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/ital...n-marziale?u=i
i think the trail along the river is a nicer walk. The rail-trail is better with a bike.

You could search alltrails for hikes near Siena to see what you find. The via Francigena (pilgrims walk) passes through Siena - there may be a part you can hike on right out of Siena
https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/

Last edited by J62; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 12:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
By a combo of train and bus or taxi, you could visit Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore. Train Siena to Asciano (there may also be a bus) and then bus Asciano to the Abbey. (There's a short walk from the Abbey bus stop to the Abbey entrance.) You need to time your arrival as the Abbey closes for a few hours in the middle of the day, so check the hours. There's a restaurant just outside the Abbey entrance or a few options in Asciano. The Abbey grounds are beautiful and cover a good amount of land.

https://www.monteolivetomaggiore.it/info-e-visite/

You could also take a short train ride to Buonconvento.

https://www.discovertuscany.com/sien...rom-siena.html
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 07:45 PM

You could take the bus/train to Montalcino, Buonconvento, San Gimignano, or Florence. Many other choices but I don't have personal experience of any group tours.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

These all sound great but there seems to be some sort of "weather alert" for heavy rain this weekend.
I am wondering tomorrow if I would even be able to find by public transportation the trail at Sentierelsa? This is when traveling alone is not fun. Has anyone taken the bus from Siena and taken a couple-hour hike from there? Probably not all day since the weather seems iffy with an afternoon window. Thank-you

Last edited by RubyTwins; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 11:46 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 08:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Under a weather alert, I'd abandon the hiking idea. I'd "hike" around a city where there would be options to duck inside during a heavy downpour. We were in Florence during a deluge.... when the forecast is for heavy rain, they mean it.

But I suppose with the time difference, you've already decided what to do... or not.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

I am up and it's sunny (hopefully rained itself out yesterday ) and would like to take this walk:
You could also hike the nice rail trail walk from Poggibonsi to Colle di Val d'Elsa one way, then get a bus back to Siena from there.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/ital...bbandonata?u=i
Hope I can find the start of the trail. I am thinking start Colle di Val d'Elsa and return to Siena from Poggibonsi as it seems to have more buses. A car would be nice right now or knowing more people in Siena. If anyone happens to be on and knows that it's not that hard to find the rail trail... I am not leaving for another hour or so. The tourist office is closed. Tomorrow I have class, so no time for hiking. Thankyou. This would be a perfect afternoon
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

I made it and it was a lovely walk after I turned away from the Autostrade. I saw Pheasants and other birds. But Poggibonsi back to Siena on a Sunday--maybe should have taken the train. I sat in the torrential rain --after I figured out where the bus stopped-- for about 90 minutes waiting. It did finally come and I was glad to be dropped back at the center. It was a nice walk though to escape the hordes of tourists still here in Siena.