Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome & Florence - Prebooking/tickets or tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2022, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel so lost on a few key things I need to take care of. I have a family of 5 - 3 kids, 2 adults. The things I think we need to pre-book are below. But I've been dragging my feet and need to take care of this ASAP.

Collosseum/Forume/Palatine - I see a "family pass" that's 80 euro. I still have to reserve a time for entry, right? (https://www.coopculture.it/en/produc...co-membership/). I wanted to do arena floor as well and underground if possible - does that mean I must book a tour? Looking for October 9, 10, or 11. If a tour - any recommendations?
Vatican - just go to vatican museum website to purchase tickets, correct? What's the benefit of doing a tour? Any tour recommendations?

Any other key sites in Rome that I'd need to pre book?

Florence - other than the Uffizi and Galleria...anything else I need to pre-book tickets for? Are tours worth it?

It's so different than last time I went. Please help!

Last edited by bradykp; Sep 19th, 2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 10:27 AM

For Rome, I always pre-book the Colosseum and the Vatican.
I like guided tours for both. Vatican: either the 1st of the morning/express to Sistine Chapel, or go late in the day.
Underground Colosseum with Palantine Hill tour is my favorite
Florence: We get a timed entry to climb the Duomo (same ticket gains access to several other sites that don't need a reservation).

We used the app, GetYourGuide, to book everything last time and it was quite convenient, plus they have a friendlier cancelation policy.

What ages are the kids? How much art/musem will they tolerate?
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 11:48 AM

What are you planning to see outside of the sites you have already mentioned? Pre-booking additional sites may be necessary depending on what you plan to see.

I don't know your family's interests or attention spans. When I was your kid's ages, I would, personally, have despised going into an art museum or even a church, so tours may be hard to recommend without knowing more about all of you.

As an adult (solo), I did the breakfast tour with audio guide (included in price) of the Vatican. The audio guide was...dry but it got me there before it opened for their normal working hours. It was worth it - to me - to see uninterrupted views of the Sistine Chapel and Raphael rooms . But that may not work for you.

I did a separate walking tour of the Coliseum and Forum, can't recall the agency used. Again, this is a judgment call for you and your family.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Underground tours appear to be sold out (checked City Walk and The Roman Guy - will look into others).

I'm not sure what the little ones will tolerate. my 11.5 year old is obsessed with greek mythology and my 8.5 year old is similar, but not quite as obsessed. Those are both boys. My daughter is 10.

Originally Posted by alandavid
For Rome, I always pre-book the Colosseum and the Vatican.
I like guided tours for both. Vatican: either the 1st of the morning/express to Sistine Chapel, or go late in the day.
Underground Colosseum with Palantine Hill tour is my favorite
Florence: We get a timed entry to climb the Duomo (same ticket gains access to several other sites that don't need a reservation).

We used the app, GetYourGuide, to book everything last time and it was quite convenient, plus they have a friendlier cancelation policy.

What ages are the kids? How much art/musem will they tolerate?
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks Travel_Nerd. I don't really know what else we want to cover. This is our first trip of this type with the little ones. So trying to balance not doing TOO much. if you have any kid friendly recommendations to throw in, I'd love that.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You are required to have timed reservations for the Galleria Borghese in Rome. The GB and Palazzo Massimo alle Terme are my two favorite museums in Rome. One or more of your kids might enjoy the Castello more than museums.

in Florence, ANYTHING that offers advance tickets will save you from spending time in long lines. Reservations are required for the Brancacci Chapel and the climb to the top of Brunelleschi's dome. If any of your kids is science-oriented, they might enjoy the Museo Galileo in Florence.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few years ago I took my 10-year-old niece to the Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini. I wouldn't call it a "key site," but she really enjoyed it, and it's not terribly time-consuming. You must pre-book.

https://www.palazzovalentini.it/domus-romane/

Not sure how many days/weeks you have in Rome. Agree that kids tend to like Castel Sant'Angelo.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 02:44 PM

I really am probably useless to you as I dont have kids and must defer to others on their suggestions.

However, if two of your kids are into Greek mythology, they will probably be similarly be interested in Roman mythology. Which Rome is a gold mine for, obviously. I'm not an expert, but I would imagine you might find a tour for that. Be worth looking into anyway. Just a thought...

Florence, to be honest, would not be my choice to take children since it is very heavy on Renaissance art. The suggestion for Museo Galileo might be a good one as I am a loss of what kids might find interesting there. My focus, as an adult, was for the art. Just brainstorming, but I googled gelato and Florence and there is a Gelato making class. Might thst be something?
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Found a pretty good deal on tour on GetYourGuide (crown travel is the provider) that includes Arena floor. It's cheaper than if i go directly on their website, which makes me skeptical. Have many people used GetYourGuide?
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 03:26 PM

Get Your Guide, like Viator, are resellers. The mark up is probably for the use of the website plus the tour operator. If you found cheaper tickets through the official arena (Coliseum??) website - book through them directly.

If you want to use a tour operator like what they have listed on Get Your Guide, they usually list the tour agency. I sometimes will book directly through the agency listed as it would also be cheaper as well.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by bradykp
Found a pretty good deal on tour on GetYourGuide (crown travel is the provider) that includes Arena floor. It's cheaper than if i go directly on their website, which makes me skeptical. Have many people used GetYourGuide?
Direct will be a few bucks cheaper, but having all tickets on one app was convenient, plus they allowed less than 24 hrs cancel with full refund, the direct booking was much more restrictive.
The GetYourGuide reps were also very helpful when we had to switch a date, plus they let us cancel a tour same day because of rain.
Small price for simplicity & piece of mind, IMO.
I think the local vendors want to stay in GYG's good graces, so are pretty flexible to keep them happy.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

it's currently showing as cheaper through GetYourGuide, which is what surprised me.

Originally Posted by alandavid
Direct will be a few bucks cheaper, but having all tickets on one app was convenient, plus they allowed less than 24 hrs cancel with full refund, the direct booking was much more restrictive.
The GetYourGuide reps were also very helpful when we had to switch a date, plus they let us cancel a tour same day because of rain.
Small price for simplicity & piece of mind, IMO.
I think the local vendors want to stay in GYG's good graces, so are pretty flexible to keep them happy.
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by bradykp
it's currently showing as cheaper through GetYourGuide, which is what surprised me.
Nice! We had the same experience.
If you go the GYG route, we booked 1 tour, then received a discount code for booking additional tours, so maybe wait a bit after booking your first, to see if you get the same offer.
(Can probably find a promo code for booking the 1st if you do a google search as well).
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

We ended up booking with GetYourGuide:

Vatican: Real Barcelona Tours
Colosseum: Crown Tours

Here's hoping both are good!