12 Month Stay in Thailand! How?

Old Sep 15th, 2022, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 Month Stay in Thailand! How?

I want to go to Thailand and do a Maui Thai course, the course will run for 12 months. I was just a little confused on how one would stay for 12 months, since from what I can tell the visa is for around 60-90 days. I read that you can cross the border and the return through the same entry. Is this possible to just leave and enter the same day?
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 11:47 AM

You can do "visa runs" but you need to research a bit as restrictions apply and it varies on your visa. They also change the restrictions from time to time.

Types of visa.
You can get a visa waiver if your country is in the visa waiver scheme (53 countries are) - this allows you 30 days without a visa (this may increase to 45 days - come October until March 2023.
Once in the country you can extend this at immigration for up to 30 days.
Doing visa runs - if you leave the country by land, you can re-enter (immediately if you so wish) but only twice in one year.
There is a limit of entries by air - I THINK it's 6 per year, but many people say they've never been checked.

A tourist visa is 60 days - this can be extended by 30 days - check this! (you need to prove you have 20000 baht on entry.
Then there is a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) - this lasts 6 months but requires more paperwork including a higher financial qualification.

Another one that MIGHT work for you is an EDUCATION visa - I don't know if this applies to a Muay Thai course, but it's worth asking the place you are training at.

Another way is to get a Non-Immigrant "O' type visa. Now again, you'll need to research how to qualify - there are several different kinds. They are normally valid for 90 days and extendable to a year. Most retiree expats have variations on this visa.

Some others to others to checkout are a sports visa or a "B" visa - business or work.

Old Sep 16th, 2022, 02:59 PM

Suggest you ask your Qs at a Thai forum for more local info. AseanNow, formerly Thai Visa, only one i know. Google will hep you and click on Visa information etc.
I do know that for any 1 yr retirement Visa extension, you must be 50 yr old, and drop 800,000 thai baht into the bank. Or be married to a Thai lady for cheaper rate but more stress.