Search

Where to study Spanish in Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2022, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to study Spanish in Mexico?

Hi all,

I'll be heading to Mexico between October - December and am looking to study spanish for approximately a month. I'm having a tough time deciding where I might like to study. I'd prefer to avoid popular spots like Oaxaca, San Cristobal and Merida as I have visited them before. I've considered Guanajuato which sounds great, but may be too cold for me in December.

Are there any other good spots that I haven't considered, that don't get very cold? Would love to hear them!

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 08:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What other places have Spanish schools that you are considering? Besides Guanajuato (and those you mentioned not wanting to go to) where else are you looking at? Yes the cities at altitude are cooler than coastal level places.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

So I've also considered Guadalajara and Puebla, but also think these two could be quite cold during December. Is this correct? Should also add that I have been to Cuernavaca before and prefer to go somewhere new.

Was also thinking of Puerto Escondido and Puerto Vallarta for good weather, however I'm not sure whether they have good language schools and I do have a preference towards the colonial, small-town feeling destinations.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 07:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Just an fyi. I only know suze by her regular posts here. I'm fairly certain she's never been to any of the places mentioned above. Nor that she's formally studied Spanish anywhere in Mexico. Not a criticism, just an observation from her posts. Could be mistaken. I've studied in Oaxaca. For a number of years in a row, a month at a time. It was warm enough in those months for me. I now live near san miguel, close enough to Guanajuato which has a similar climate. It can indeed be cool in those months. A regular poster here, Daniel Williams, studied at Ole Ole in Queretaro. Where i lived for a year. Lower altitude than Guanajuato at about 5000 ft. So somewhat warmer than Guanajuato. Plus a city that would allow you to take a number of day trips while not studying. Lovely city, but lots of traffic. So maybe an option.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta is not a small town nor colonial so does not fit your wish list. There is a well-respected language school there.

Old Sep 16th, 2022, 01:04 AM

On our last and so far only trip to Mexico we visited for three month October to the End of December and the only place I only recall it being cold was in Zacatecas.

Gaunjuato we really liked but I am not sure if it may be a little claustrophobic for a whole month. Guadalajara we didn’t take to but we did visit over the Christmas hols when a lot was closed so that may have influenced our opinion.

Puebla would certainly be a contender for me, but one place that springs to mind is Morelia. Really liked the town and it offers easy access to other parts of the country. One of the places, along with Oaxaca which we would love to return to. We also stayed in nearby Patzcuaro for a few days but that might be a little too small for a month but would be nice as a diversion on your days off!

Having taken Spanish lessons myself, mostly in Peru and Ecuador, I think it is important to avoid places where English is widely spoken, especially if using the immersion methodology of learning. So perhaps avoid places popular with expats and tourists.

Old Sep 17th, 2022, 11:22 AM

Do you know about weatherspark? I like to use that for climate/weather data.

While it isn't beach weather, to me the climate in either Mexico City or Puebla looks reasonable in your time frame, overnight and early morning is jacket weather but midday to afternoon should be quite pleasant.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/m/1...ty-in-November

I find Puerto Vallarta uncomfortably humid into oppressive most of the year (I have been there in April, November and this year in February), and there would be far too many English speakers (native and second language) for Spanish immersion. I know when I am traveling I get lazy and will use English when I know the other person speaks it.
https://weatherspark.com/m/3402/11/A...tions-Humidity

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 17th, 2022 at 11:37 AM.
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 07:18 PM

Back in the day, Cuernavaca was a popular place to study Spanish. Since then, schools have become more prevalant in touristy cities such as Oaxaca, San Miguel & Guanajuato. It's not a small colonial city, but might be an option for your weather criteria and somewhere you've not visited. Wasnt my favorite colonial city, but for studying it'd probably be fine.
Antigua Guatemala is a popular place to study. Small, charming colonial city with better schools than Mexico. Imo. But not in Mexico, lol.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 10:07 AM

Hi

As Baldone mentioned, I studied Spanish in Querétaro at the Instituto Olé back in the summers of 2015 and 2016. Looking for small town colonial, Querétaro is colonial but not a small town, but if you’re considering larger Puebla, Querétaro might fit the bill. I enjoyed both the dynamism of the city and the school; when I came back the second year, I felt welcomed like a family member. I really loved watching the dancing in the Jardín Zenea and the entertainment in the Plaza de Armas each evening, not far from the school.

Daniel

Old Sep 20th, 2022, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

The school you attended in Queretaro sounds great Daniel. Did you have the name of it? (Sorry can't delete and just realised you mentioned Ole!)

Last edited by clever1991; Sep 20th, 2022 at 01:30 AM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have replied, it's been very helpful. I've narrowed my list down to Puebla, Guadalajara, Morelia and Queretaro and think Morelia is in the lead at this point. If you all have any other thoughts on these areas, any reflections on the weather or schools to recommend I would be grateful to hear them!
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 11:09 AM

Keep in mind that altitude will influence how cold it gets. Morelia is about 6400 ft, about the same as Guanajuato. Although Guanajuato i think feels colder as it's in a valley and doesn't get as much sun. Puebla is almost 7000. Guadalajara and Queretaro are 5000-ish. Outdoors tge sun usually warms things up nicely, but unheated houses (or classrooms) without exposure to the sun can get and stay chilly if it stays cool & cloudy for a few days in a row. We lived in a nice condo in Queretaro for a time with lots of windows but not good passive heat from the sun. It could be absolutely freezing indoors. Our place near san miguel is similar, but we have a portable propane heater and a gas logset that keeps the house warm. Electric space heaters are expensive to run, and if you stay in an air bnb your host might not allow them.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 06:42 AM

Did you go ahead with this language trip?