Search

Planning Scotland Itinerary for May 2023

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2022, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Scotland Itinerary for May 2023

Hi, All:
I am just starting to plan a trip to Scotland for next May. I'm a 73 year old single woman (very fit and enjoy hikes, exercise of all kinds). I will be in Scotland for 15 nights flying in and out of Glasgow. I'm hesitant to rent a car and drive myself because I have ready about the road conditions and am not comfortable. I do plan on spending three days in Edinburgh and three days on Skye. Wondering if the Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel are worth a side trip? Also would very much welcome any "must do" ideas. Thanks so much for any help. (This is my first solo trip since my husband died so I want to do it right!)
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 11:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi, welcome to Fodors. I don't have time to respond in any great detail right now but will suggest you look at the offerings from Rabbies. They are a long established, well respected company that offers small group tours -- day trips, and multi-day tours never more than 16 passengers and often fewer.

Touring rural areas like Skye and much pf the Highlands is pretty difficult without driving, so using Rabbies is a great option.

https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-...from-edinburgh
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 11:40 AM

I did two Rabbies tours this past May and really enjoyed them! I don't normally do tours, but I was also traveling alone and didn't want to deal with driving. I highly recommend the 5-day Iona, Mull, and Skye tour. The islands included on the tour are beautiful (I especially loved Iona), and it gave a good taste of the Highlands too. You can click on my username to read my trip report, which includes a number of photos.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Rabbies tip. I've looked at their tours out of Edinburgh and I think I will be taking a couple. That will leave me a couple days to look around Edinburgh and surrounds.