Alaska Cruise from Vancouver

Old Sep 8th, 2022, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska Cruise from Vancouver

Boarding a cruise liner on Saturday but note that there is almost 12 hours between earliest boarding time and when the ship (the Majestic Princess) leaves. It would be convenient to drop our luggage early and then leave the ship for a look round the city - is this something you can do?
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 06:40 AM

As long as the ship allows it, there are tour companies that do regular trips around the city. Otherwise see if the place you are staying will hold them for a few hours and check in later
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 06:50 AM

Your cruise docs should have your all aboard time. Yes normally you can do a bag drop first and separate from boarding, but I have not left from Vancouver, only arrived there. You may want to join/browse Cruise Critic. There should be a "roll call" for your cruise and other experienced cruisers should be able to answer your specific question. Because of COVID they have been trying to spread out boarding times but I don't know if it's being enforced.

If you go walkabout after bag drop, be aware that your luggage may not arrive in your room for HOURS, especially on a big ship like Majestic. So you will need a backpack or some smaller bag with your essentials and include a change of clothing!!

BTW the Hollywood Conservatory/pool area is FREE on Majestic. A good place to hang out if it is raining.

I think Majestic is heading back to Australia at the end of the Alaska season. They had moved it to the west coast when Asian/Aussie cruising shut down. I was on it for a 7day Mexican Riviera cruise early this year. A lot of people have been complaining about Princess, hope it all goes well for you. I recommend the ice cream in the MDR for lunch, with a side of James Beard French toast.

Start with post #20
COVID Cruising Mexican Riviera January/February 2022

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 8th, 2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 08:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a hop on hop off bus tour that starts at Canada Place (near the dock). There are 18 stops including Stanley Park and Gastown. Price is about $50/per person.
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 09:46 AM

I would drop off bags but not board (in case that's what you meant by leave the ship) as you'll need to preclear US immigration in order to board.