Reload this Page >

Istanbul or Amsterdam and Iceland in December on way back f

Search

Istanbul or Amsterdam and Iceland in December on way back f

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, you've all convinced me away from Amsterdam/Iceland. Istanbul still sounds like a good option! But now I feel myself leaning back toward Cape Town, flight hours be damned. Though that could change tomorrow! But we DO need to decide soon! Hence another question (but maybe better for Africa forum).

We will have done 2 long safari trips in Uganda (yes, gorilla trekking) and in Kenya (19 nights total) We're in good shape/health for 70+ but slow travelers by choice. If we do go to Cape Town - and I think we'd go for 5-7 nights - we would want it to be a fairly "relaxing" end to our trip. Part of me (and certainly my husband) looks longingly at hotels/apts in Camps Bay and envisions time on those patios just staring out at the sea and/or Table Mountain. But wondering if that would be a good base for us - given that we are NOT going to rent a car (wrong side driving no longer being our idea of "relaxing"). Could we walk to anywhere from those spots? How easy is it to Uber or taxi from there into city to do things there? Could we easily hook up with day trips/tours to places further afield? (Am thinking of some of your itin, Gardyloo). Or would we be better off in town somewhere - say Waterkant, Sea Point, etc.....
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 02:45 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I was going to suggest you raise this question on Tripadvisor, but I see you already beat me to it.

My own take is that Camps Bay is very nice, also very upscale and suburban. That's not a negative at all, but you WILL need to rely on Ubers or cabs to go most places. But maybe you don't need to go too many places - maybe a day at the waterfront including Robben Island, a tour to Kirstenbosch, the ride up Table Mountain, a drive around Bo-Kaap... done and done. If you pick a place close to the waterfront, you can probably use the hop on hop off bus. In other areas along the coast, like Bantry Bay, many of the B&Bs are up the mountainside, so schlepping back from the waterfront is quite an exercise. Cape Town is not that big a city - spread out a little due to topography (Table Mountain, Signal Hill and Lion's Head) - but relatively easy to get around. Nairobi it's not.

I'd also look at Sea Point, which is a little closer in, also a bit more commercial. If you're staying for a week, then I'd also give consideration to spending a couple of nights in the Winelands - either Stellenbosch or Franschhoek, where there are numerous lovely hotels and hotel/restaurant combinations. Franschhoek is especially highly regarded by foodies.

One thing to note is that South Africa's Tourism Grading Council - who assign the "stars" to accommodations, is VERY serious about maintaining the standards for which stars are awarded. If you pick a 4- or 5-star rated property (hotel, guest house, lodge, whatever) you're going to get a very enjoyable and quality place.

There are umpteen tours available from Cape Town out to the Winelands, or down to Simons Town to see the penguins, etc. For the most part these are not terribly expensive and coming in the summer you ought to have plenty of daylight and good weather to enjoy them.

I think you'll have a terrific time.