Venice suggestions for family of 10

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2022, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Thanks in advance for your help. We are a family of 10 ( 80 years - 10 years old- all in good shape) and will arrive in Venice ( June 2023) one or two days before our cruise which departs at 5 pm. Since we will be flying all night, I am sure we will have jet lag and need the 1st afternoon to rest. I have read that Venice can easily be explored on your own just wandering here and there. But with a group this size do you have any suggestions for a tour guide who can purchase tickets and help us navigate with so little time and within a crowded city. Also any hotel suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Sheila
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What size ship will you be on? Are you sure it is actually departing from Venice? Large ships are no longer allowed through the lagoon. Trieste or Ravenna are more likely, and are both worth some time.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Yes we will leave 6/11/23 on the Royal Caribbean on Sunday 5 pm from the port in Ravenna. We were thinking of arriving in Venice airport 12 noon on Saturday , resting then touring Venice in the evening and the next day Sunday having most of the day in Venice. Any suggestion are welcome. Only one of us has been to Venice.
Thanks
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 04:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" . . . having most of the day in Venice" you won't have much time in Venice on Sunday -- certainly not 'most' of a day. You'll have to be at Porto Corsini well before 5PM and depending how you are traveling to Ravenna it will take between 2.5 and 4+ hours from any hotel in Venice.

Old Aug 30th, 2022, 04:35 PM

. . . I assume you haven't booked the flights yet -- If it was me I'd add another day or two pre-cruise.

With 10 people including 80 yo's and young children, jet lag, etc and only one evening and one morning free you really wouldn't see much of Venice at all.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 05:44 PM

Please listen to janisj.
Your departure is at 5:00. You must arrive in the port by 4:00 at the latest if all of your documents are complete, by 3:00 if any are not. Travel time from Venice to the Ravenna is 2&1/2 hours or more at any time, plus time getting from your hotel to the station in Venice. In June, there is likely to be traffic and boats will be crowded. You need to depart your hotel by 12:30 to 1:00 at the outside, so really not much time on Sunday morning. I hate the expense, but to be safe, if on Sunday, book travel from Venice to the ship through the cruise line.

Personally, I would absolutely never book flights for this cruise to arrive only the day before, especially for ten people, in June when flights are likely to be full. If for any reason your flight is delayed or cancelled, you have almost no chance for ten people to get on another flight in time to make the cruise. It may be inconvenient, but you really, really need to book this flight to arrive on Friday. It will be a lot less inconvenient than missing the cruise. We go at least the day before just for a cruise from the US (We live here) and have come so close to missing a cruise even then due to delays. We have seen people know they were missing their cruise when the last flight of the day was cancelled and they were not going to get one the next day.

Also, arriving at noon on Saturday, getting into Venice and to a hotel, and having to depart Venice by noonish on Sunday really leaves no time for seeing Venice. Saturday afternoon is going to be a crush of people. You might get up super early on Sunday to walk before day trippers and tour groups arrive. That would be it.

I love Venice, and this is so tough, but with a group, I would strongly consider having a van pick up at the airport and go to Ravenna for the time before the cruise. I know I would do that if I was arriving on Saturday, but also, would hope never to do that.

I do hope others can give more optimistic advice.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just wander around without a guide. In a three generation group (or is it 4?), there might be a wide range of stamina for and interest in exploring. The energetic ones might want to zip around while others are happy to sit on a piazza and people-watch. Just trying to keep a group of 10 moving at the same speed in the same direction could feel like herding cats.

I would make a point of taking the entire group to Piazza San Marco in the evening. The only indoor thing I would encourage everyone to see is the Basilica and Pala d'Oro, and I'd get skip-the-tickets for the last entry time on your arrival day. FYI, "proper" attire is required to enter the Basilica, and while it's not delineated on the website usually means no shorts or skirts above the knees, no bare arms, no bare midriffs. Tickets for June aren't available yet, but check this website in a couple of weeks.

https://basilicasanmarco.skiperforma.../store#/en/buy

For useful hotel recommendations, you need to state a budget range and a general description of what you're looking for (doubles, triples, quad/family room).... Since your time is so short, it might make the most sense to stay fairly close to the train station.

When do you have to BE at the cruise ship for boarding? The 12:40 p.m. train to Ravenna arrives at 3:48 p.m., 11:40 a.m. train arrives at 3:16 p.m., and 10:40 a.m. train arrives at 1:48 p.m. All train journeys from Venice to Ravenna involve a connection, and you still have to get from the station to the port in multiple taxis.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 05:59 PM

Bologna is half as far away from Ravenna as is Venice, and an easier city to navigate with lots of good dining and things to do. It has an efficient airport too. You could spend a day there or commute immediately to Ravenna for a day before the cruise. Don't underrate the challenges of steering a group of 10 with wide-ranging ages and interests.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much better to go straight to Ravenna. Ravenna has some of the absolute best mosaics anywhere, so it's not like there is nothing to do. Failing that I would stop in Ferrara, which has direct trains to Ravenna, many fewer tourists than Venice, a castle, and is a nice place to wander.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 08:03 PM

You're getting good advice above.

More time pre-cruise. Make time for Ravenna if you can, as thursday says--incredible world class mosaics from 5th century on and a walkable, lovely antique center.

That said--if plans are fixed, wander Venice by foot and by boat), breathe in the history of "Europe's Drawing Room" in the Piazza, and yes there are tour guides that could save time--through Rick Steves, TripAdvisor, Viator, and so forth.

With your group, a private water taxi makes sense financially and a water taxi tour around Venice might make as much sense as any other means given a first transatlantic day.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 11:19 PM

Just looked at your cruise itinerary. You return to Ravenna early on Sunday. You will return the day after a nice relaxing day at sea and could get to Venice by mid-morning. It would be ideal to end your trip with two nights in Venice after the cruise.

If you could do that, it would still be best to arrive on Friday and go on to Ravenna. Sightseeing and the beach would make a great Saturday. It is always better to arrive on the cruise rested so you can enjoy the beauty and fun of sail away and the first hours on the ship. It is actually nice to board the ship as early as you are allowed, and begin enjoying it right away.

You could do Bologna, which is pretty and has great food, but it also adds another shuttle or train from there to Ravenna, which with an already short time, just adds more time sitting after long flights sitting, I would minimize transportation times as much as possible.
This advice would change if you can fly into Bologna and out of Venice. Stay in Bologna, then go to the ship on Sunday or leave early enough to tour a bit of Ravenna before boarding the ship.
To be cont.

Old Aug 31st, 2022, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Wow thanks so very much

Thank you so very much. I am unsure if my other post was posted. Sorry for the 2nd post.
But- I so appreciate each of your time and effort to help make this trip so special. The fact that you take time to respond to members who you do not know, but want to help is amazing. !! Clearly I will rethink and re plan with all of your suggestions in mind.
Regarding hotel in Venice or Ravenna, I know everything is expensive, but would like a 3 or 4 star with amenities as this will be a "once in a lifetime trip". Suggestions?
Thanks again
Sheila
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 03:58 PM

"Regarding hotel in Venice or Ravenna, I know everything is expensive, but would like a 3 or 4 star with amenities as this will be a "once in a lifetime trip". Suggestions?"

Star level really doesn't help. Stars tell you what amenities are offered -- not the quality, decor nor cost. A deluxe boutique 2 star place with no elevator might be nicer and more expensive than a 3 or 4 star with all mod cons but more basic accommodations.

So what is your actual budget (per double room or however you want to divide up your group)?
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 11:21 PM

In Venice we stay at Al Ponte Antico, but I doubt there is room for the whole group; sounds like a regular hotel (or VRBO etc.) might be better; sorry I can't help here.

In Ravenna, hotels are far more reasonable than in Venice. The locanda I stayed in last time closed, but I like Albergo Capello, right in the antique center, across the street from a more modest hotel, Centrale Byron; we've been wanting to try Palazzo Bezzi, just outside the antique center--ten minute walk from train station, ten minute walk to the piazza del popolo, down the street from one of the mosaic sites (Sant'Appolinare Nuovo). A couple of the renowned mosaic studios are on this street as well. (I've stayed in Ravenna a number of weeks for mosaic courses/workshops). There are also VRBOs etc.

Ravenna's cafes/bars (several around the piazza) have abundant cocktail buffets that are complementary with drinks/wine during aperitivo time (Aperol spritz popular), but being in Emilia-Romagna, dinners are excellent by and large.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 06:54 PM

Short and sweet--OK maybe not so short.
1) Just got off a cruise on Friday. For our departure and most any ship departure I have ever been on must be on board 2 hours prior to departure. It was RC
2) Train: from what I could see train requires 2 connections. I would say doable but almost disastrous after a transatlantic flight. Are you all traveling on same flight? Or do you need to join up with others?
3) To the ship: Never done it but I would certainly start to check out van rentals and see about renting a large van and driver. Check with the cruise line for transport. May pay more and even if it is a bus, you would probably feel less anxious if it was the cruise line transpo as you would then not need to worry about the van and the driver heading back to Venice.
4) 80 to 10 and all in good shape: is that not sleeping on the flight due to a cranky baby, a snorer, waking up after a restless, less than fitful sleep and ready to go!
5) Docs: Had to have all our docs downloaded. No deadline given, just reminders, so that is not so much an issue anymore as everything is digital, except for actual passport and credit card (although that info has to be downloaded and scanned).
6)Venice: the suggestion to do Venice after the cruise was an excellent one. I would stay at least 2 nights. Why cut a fabulous city short!
7) Arrive Venice. Can you depart for Ravenna or do you need to stay overnight in Venice? You will be given an option to choose a boarding time for the ship. You will need to take that into account when planning Venice to Ravenna. I would strongly recommend getting to Ravenna the day before the ship departs. Peace of mind is everything. On the cruise we just came off of, stayed 1 1/2 hours away, went low on gas, could not find a gas station, 1 1/2 hr trip turned into 3, with nerves frayed--and this was in the US. Not a foreign country where I might not know the language.
8) Have a great time!
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by sheilat
Thank you so very much. I am unsure if my other post was posted. Sorry for the 2nd post.
But- I so appreciate each of your time and effort to help make this trip so special. The fact that you take time to respond to members who you do not know, but want to help is amazing. !! Clearly I will rethink and re plan with all of your suggestions in mind.
Regarding hotel in Venice or Ravenna, I know everything is expensive, but would like a 3 or 4 star with amenities as this will be a "once in a lifetime trip". Suggestions?
Thanks again
Sheila
Hilton Molina Stuckey is a splurge but will offer something for your entire age group.
Has its own shuttle to St Mark's Square so tired members of your group could retire earlier.
With 10, it makes sense to take a water taxi directly from the airport to your hotel. Convenient, and makes for a memorable entrance to Venice.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank You all again. After some wise advise, I will discuss with the group of arriving in Ravenna and spending the two 1/2 days in a more relaxing environment. Will look for hotel that can accommodate 5 separate rooms. A suggestion was Palazzo Galletti Abbiosi in Ravenna. It looks like they can arrange a shuttle service to the port which will be important with all our luggage. Then choices can be made about Venice ( after cruise is over ) depending upon time lines.You are all right, I have not taken into account the very long flight and adjusting to time zones. My excitement about the trip did not consider the difficult of traveling with such a large group. This was so helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -