Search

Alaska. Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2022, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska. Cruise

This might seem a bit mundane but I am travelling from UK to Seattle, then Vancouver where I pick up a cruise liner to Alaska, (Juneau, Skagway, Hubbards Glacier). My question is what sort of clothing should I have with me? Full winter clothing will take up a lot of luggage space so I would like to avoid that if possible but any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 08:34 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
When is your cruise?

My recommendation would be to pack as if you were traveling to the Scottish Highlands. The key is layers, along with something that can withstand a little rain. The Alaska cruise season is May to September, so you're not going to be experiencing wintry conditions anywhere, unless you go hiking on a glacier. A windbreaker is useful when cruising past glaciers like the Hubbard Glacier, mainly because the ship is parked in cold water with the wind coming off an icefield. But you can easily go back indoors if you get too chilly.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 08:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"My recommendation would be to pack as if you were traveling to the Scottish Highlands. " . . . That is exactly what I was going to say.

Layers, a fleece, weather proof things. The later in the cruise season the likely cooler/wetter.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much - that sounds like great advice. The cruise leaves Vancouver on Sept 10.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick response - I know the Scottish Highlands well so that is very helpful
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 06:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
September is quite late in the season (the very end of the season actually) so likely more wet/cool/cold conditions are possible. Several years ago I took an Alaska Cruise from Vancouver that sailed at the very end of August and landed in Skagway the around the 6th of Sept (i don't remember the exact dates). Just one data point but we had good or decent enough weather in most ports-of-call, but 2 days - the day in Glacier Bay for one - were quite wet, and cold enough I needed gloves, hat, full on raincoat, etc. It was bitterly cold sitting out on deck in Glacier Bay but I wasn't going miss it for anything.
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
September is quite late in the season (the very end of the season actually) so likely more wet/cool/cold conditions are possible. Several years ago I took an Alaska Cruise from Vancouver that sailed at the very end of August and landed in Skagway the around the 6th of Sept (i don't remember the exact dates). Just one data point but we had good or decent enough weather in most ports-of-call, but 2 days - the day in Glacier Bay for one - were quite wet, and cold enough I needed gloves, hat, full on raincoat, etc. It was bitterly cold sitting out on deck in Glacier Bay but I wasn't going miss it for anything.
Thank you Janis.