South Cyprus to North Cyprus to Turkey

Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Cyprus to North Cyprus to Turkey

Hi everyone
I am about to travel to Cyprus and then Turkey, but I have some border bureaucracy doubts.
my plan is to land in Paphos airport, travel from there to North Cyprus crossing the border by land, and from there get a ferry to Marsin. I have a EU passport
the question is: is this feasible?
I am pretty confident I can cross from South to North by land, but I am not sure that, once I am into the North, I can actually leave to Turkey (I am wondering whether in this case I won't have any exit stamp from (South) Cyprus. Moreover, I think I can enter Turkey by sea at Marsin, but I am not 100% sure about it

what do you think?
thanks
and
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 12:38 PM

I did this about 10 years ago. They tell you it's not possible. But we got a ferry from Kyrenia to Alanya, no questions asked!
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 01:43 PM

Ask on the TA forum, they have up to date info. A lot has changed in the last 10 years with travel between the Republic & the Turkish Occupied Territories.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

what's the TA forum?
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 02:16 PM

Tripadvisor
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 02:31 PM

Flew into Pafos, got various buses through Nicosia to Kyrenia. Ferry out. No passport stamp entering at Pafos. Showed passport crossing in Nicosia but no stamp. No stamp leaving at Kyrenia. Turkish visa obtained beforehand to enter at Alanya. We have UK passports and Cyprus is part of the EU. However, Brexit might have messed this up.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

ah true! thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 03:15 PM

U.K. passport holders do have their passports stamped on entry/exit to the Republic whereas they didn’t before.
U.K. passport holders don’t need a visa for Turkey but US do. Things change in 10 years. Worth asking others with up to date experience.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 02:32 PM

deleted

Last edited by elisabethsowerbutts6; Dec 16th, 2023 at 02:55 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 02:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. You have tagged your questions on to another thread -- physlopher, the OP, has not posted on Fodors in over a year. It would be better if you started a new thread of your own with your pretty specific questions.
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 11:41 AM

With as EU passport, there is absoluely no problem.
Show your passport (better ID) when you enter at Paphos airport.
At the border, North Cyprus officials usualy scan your passport, without putting any stamp.
Same procedure when you leave the TRNC at Ercan airport (for Gaziantep, Adana, Antalya, Ankara, Izmir or Istanbul), Kyrenia port (for Tasucu) or Famagusta port (for Mersin).
I did that many times, for the last time in automn 2022.
When you enter Turkey, you will then get a stamp in your passport. That's no problem in airports, as nobody can find out later from where you came. If you enter at Tasucu port or Mersin port, you may just show your ID and will then get a special sheeet where the Turkish officials put teir stamps. That's posssible for most EU citizens, but check before leaving.

IMO the overnight ferries an the catamarans pliying between TRNC and TR are all but attractive. I would prefer to fly.