Restaurant recommendations in Bologna and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2022, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate any restaurant recommendations in Bologna and Rome (Navona area in Rome) for an upcoming trip in September.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 01:50 PM

I had 2 really wonderful meals in Bologna this Spring:
Osteria Bottega--Via Santa Caterina, 51, It's on just about every list and with good reason. Here's a cut and paste from my blog about our lunch:
This restaurant is on just about every list about Bologna and, in my humble opinion, it lived up to the hype. We shared a platter of prosciutto, mortadella and salami. The plate for two went unfinished by the four of us. I think it was the best prosciutto I’ve ever tasted, so sweet and porky. None of us loved the salami though. Then we decided on four pasta dishes. Ranked in ascending order, they were: tagliatelle al ragù, (basic and classic) tagliatelle with culatello di Zibello (the culatello di Zibello is a very special piece of cured ham and there was a mound of it cut julienne over the top of the egg pasta), tortelli with Jerusalem artichoke sauce (stunning, light, ricotta stuffed pasta with a purée underneath) and the maltagliatti, a short wide noodle with a simple veal and asparagus sauce. Each dish was really super and we drank a local wine called Naigarten from Gradizzolo which paired perfectly with them.

My husband and I ate another memorable lunch (again copied from my blog:I had read about Trattoria da Me on Eater and other sites and was glad I chose it. We tried for dinner, but could only get a reservation for the 2:00 lunch service.

The food is Bolognese with a definite twist. The restaurant is informal, a little noisy and busy.

I started with a tasting of cheese gelato and the just fried bread pockets called crescentine. The combination of the cold and hot, sweet and salty–I loved it!
Ken had the tagliatelle ragu which was meaty, rich and satisfying. For our main courses, Ken had a braised pork cheek with Sangiovese sauce and a little cold cucumber and celery salad on top. I ordered osso bucco which was deconstructed and delicious. We drank a very nice Lambrusco with it. And I had a glass of Sangiovese Chinato to finish.

Good luck choosing and don't forget to reserve.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate the recommendations. The specific dishes and wine you enjoyed is also very helpful. I had not heard of Trattoria da Me and really like the menu. They accept bookings online so I made a reservation for lunch on my day of arrival. I have had difficulty booking Osteria Bottega and also Cesari where I would like have dinner as they both only book by phone and are closed during August. Hopefully I can make reservations right when they open in September. Is it possible to read your blog?
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 10:48 AM

My DH and I had a wonderful meal at Da Bertino in Bologna

Here are my notes:

"This is a family place with granddad, a glass of water in hand, slowly shuffling the 50 feet from the front of the place to the kitchen. You could see each person he passed get ready to catch him, or the glass, if his next totter was unsuccessful. Everyone else there waiting on us at one time or another and look what we had for our last meal in lovely Bologna.

¼ Lambrusco (still fizzy) and Cerelin acqua, and a plate of olives to start.

Waiter suggests sampling from the boiled and grilled meat trolley (we had seen this in Turin also). We are brought a green sauce “for the boiled”. Boiled is veal tongue, beef, cotecchino (?), pork and veal cheek. This was served with potatoes, fagioli, onions and stewed tomatoes. The grilled is proscuitto, veal, pork and galantine. It was served with potatoes, fritters (apple and cream) and a cauliflower that tasted like scalloped potatoes.

While we laughed uproariously at the thought of dessert, an Italian group near us had a plate of candied fruit the size of apples in addition to their meats! Another group had the meats and pasta and dessert!"

In Rome, we ate at Rust. It was recommended by someone we met in Perugia...easy walk from PN:

"Rust had Zen-like atmosphere and the guy was tickled at being recommended by someone from Perugia. Here’s our dinner: An excellent antipasto dish of broccolli flowers, red peppers, stuffed red peppers gratiné, 3 different zuchinnis, eggplant, 2 cheeses, fried okra, and 4 bruschetti with tomato, truffle, pepper and artichoke toppings (forgot to write price-it was wonderful). Trancio di Tonno all Sicilicina (tuna with tomatoes, capers and olives) € 11; Pesce Spada al Salmoriglio (swordfish with oil/vinegar, lemon, parsley and garlic) € 11. As always, we are happy to hear that the other diners are Italian."

Enjoy your trip, italynovice!

Last edited by TDudette; Aug 22nd, 2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Bologna I like Twinside, the more casual, sister "bistrot" of restaurant Caminetto d'Oro.

Was in Rome last week and enjoyed Antico Arco (more upscale), Cesare al Casaletto, and Roscioli. Neither Antico Arco nor Cesare is in the center, though. If you're in Trastevere, Otaleg has excellent gelato.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the recommendations. I love this part of planning and will look these over. I am staying in the Navona area but can venture out further for meals. The only reservation so far is Armando Al Pantheon in Rome where I have wanted to dine.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by italynovice
I really appreciate the recommendations. The specific dishes and wine you enjoyed is also very helpful. I had not heard of Trattoria da Me and really like the menu. They accept bookings online so I made a reservation for lunch on my day of arrival. I have had difficulty booking Osteria Bottega and also Cesari where I would like have dinner as they both only book by phone and are closed during August. Hopefully I can make reservations right when they open in September. Is it possible to read your blog?
Here's my blog address:
keepyourfeetinthestreet.com

Do a search for Bologna--or anywhere else you like.
The reservation at Osteria Bottega was difficult for me, too. I called one day and they told me "call back tomorrow." The next day I could not get an answer. My Italian friend called and they answered and told her to call back domani, again. She yelled at them and insisted they make the reservation right then. It was for lunch and was obciously totally booked the day we were there.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 04:39 PM

Ate at Trattoria da Me tonight. Was surprised how easy was to get reservations for the same day right at the 7:30pm opening. Did not disappoint (how can any meal that starts with cheese gelato disappoint?)
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 05:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We really enjoyed our evening at Ristorante Da Cesari in Bologna. Although it was five years ago, it still garners great reviews. A very fun evening (as seen in link below ... you can scroll down to our dinner if you don't want to read about the entire day).

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...tling-bologna/
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 05:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We’ll be in Rome and Bologna too so appreciate reading the recs.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 06:10 PM

I should add that my Rome restaurant list was largely determined by the circumstance of being there the week of Ferragosto, so many places were closed--I used Katie Parla's "what's open in Rome in August" blog post as a guide. However, I greatly enjoyed the food at Roscioli, Cesare and Antico Arco (had been to the last two previously). I also dined at Pizzeria Emma, where I've had mixed service in the past--and ended up having a great dinner with great service, although that hasn't always been the case. For higher end, I've also dined at Retrobottega in Rome in the past and it was terrific--but tasting menu, so if that's not your thing look elsewhere. Loved the gnocchi at L'Arcangelo on previous visits too.

I generally find lunch a more relaxing and satisfying experience, although that doesn't always work with a busy touring schedule.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Leely2
I should add that my Rome restaurant list was largely determined by the circumstance of being there the week of Ferragosto, so many places were closed--I used Katie Parla's "what's open in Rome in August" blog post as a guide. However, I greatly enjoyed the food at Roscioli, Cesare and Antico Arco (had been to the last two previously). ….
i have a res at the dinner restaurant at Roscioli, ala carte. Which one did you eat at? Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by yestravel
i have a res at the dinner restaurant at Roscioli, ala carte. Which one did you eat at? Thanks!
Roscioli - Salumeria con Cucina.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Leaving in 4 days and really appreciate all the recommendations!
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 01:44 PM

I know! That cheese gelato was a thrill!
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 02:06 PM

One more Bologna note: There is a small food hall--Mercatoe di Mezzo https://www.facebook.com/MercatodiMezzoBologna/
Where you can have a low key aperitivo and a good selection of local delights.
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by jangita
I know! That cheese gelato was a thrill!
Cheese gelato?? sounds different and good!
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 04:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with MaiTaiTom, in Bologna have dinner at Da Cesari!
For Rome, near Pantheon, Alfredo al Pantheon and La Rosetta.