San Francisco hotel

Old Aug 14th, 2022, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco hotel

Hello. I have tickets to an event at the Herbst Theatre on Van Ness in September. I've been trying to find a hotel. I am traveling solo and hope to find a place as safe as possible. If a staying 4-5 days.

I am originally from NYC, who gets its share of generalized assumptions about safety, so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with these concerns as any stereotyping. I realize the city has some issues. I don't want to get in the middle of any altercations, and need to be safe returning alone in the evening to where I'm staying. I don't want to save on a hotel rate to be plunk down in the middle of (junkies) (homeless) (partiers loud in the street).

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 09:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
https://sf.handlery.com/
A friend from Seattle stayed here a couple weeks ago. Handlery, near Union Square, on Geary. They liked it a lot.

https://www.andrewshotel.info/
I've stayed here twice and thought it was great, but a number of years ago, so do check reviews. Also near Union Square on Post Street.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 10:00 PM

There are quite a number of hotels around Union Square, though I’m not familiar with current rates. If you do stay around there, avoid passing through the Tenderloin area when walking back to your hotel from the venue after dark. While not necessarily dangerous, there are homeless, druggies and people with mental issues around. It would not be an area I would choose to go if at all possible. Perhaps Lyft or Uber after dark.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 07:31 AM

Hi ninasdream, Here's my very dated TR (I was donco at first) for ideas. Our Hotel Rex is now Hotel Emblem...the updated description of the bar is most interesting.....

https://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/emblem

When we were there, there was a cool bar/literary area. Authors spoke there and signed books. We had many breakfasts at Lori's Diner...I can't tell what has replaced it post-covid. Can anyone help about this? I'm looking forward to your trip report.

San Francisco Report
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tdudette - thanks, I looked at that hotel over the weekend, before your post. It's not for me. I will check & see about readings/music. but I am not going to depend too much on small live gatherings in this pandemic season.

Hi Suze, trying to stay away from Union Square, but that lovely hotel is all booked up. Are you going to be around from September 9 -12? Love to meet up for lunch or something, after all our conversations.

Curiousgeo- thanks for your post, but I have already done my research, and that is the exact reason I am trying to stay away from certain areas, including the Tenderloin.

If anyone has a hotel reccomenndation, I would appreciate it.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 08:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It really is hard to find any areas of SF that don't have homeless issues/drug trade. They did clear out the city sanctioned encampment in Civic Center Plaza a couple of months ago (but I haven't been in the area since then so don't know if it has returned) - that is less than a block from the theater.

I'd probably be taking taxis instead of walking most anywhere at night. So really, Union Square would be about as good as anywhere. If it was me I'd stay in the Financial Dist/NorthBeach/Embarcadero area since I'd be taking cabs/uber anyway
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 09:16 AM

You are wise to consider safety as a factor when picking a hotel. I wouldn't suggest walking or taking public transportation from the Herbst Theatre to any hotel by yourself, unfortunately, given the area where the theater is located. It would be best to take an Uber, Lyft or cab back to your hotel. I don't know your budget but have always thought the Washington Square Inn looked lovely and I like its location in the North Beach area. I live in the Bay Area so haven't personally stayed in any SF hotels.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 09:21 AM

Oh dear, I just read some recent bad reviews of the Washington Square Inn on TripAdvisor. Be sure to check them before booking.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 01:01 PM

Why not stay at the Inn at the Opera??? We've dined there many times. Just 1 block away from the Herbst Theater. Hayes Valley (shops, restaurants, activity) is just a few blocks west. So is Alamo Square & the Painted Ladies. My wife is a volunteer tour guide with SF City Guides, and is one of the tour leaders of "Alamo Square and it's Painted Ladies". www.sfcityguides.org .

I would not stay or go near Civic Center or Union Square. Stay west of Franklin St. If you choose to stay at the Inn at the Opera, spend time on Hayes St between Franklin & Buchanan, and around Alamo Square. If you don't want to stay at the INN, I recommend Cow Hollow and the Marina area. Van Ness Ave runs north to Cow Hollow and is perfectly safe, if you immediately get on a Van Ness bus or a taxi after the event. Lots of hotels. restaurants, shops, etc on Union Street and Chestnut. You can even walk to Crissy Field and stroll along the Bay.

Here is something I wrote decades ago about San Francisco.
San Francisco - Stu Dudley's Recommendations

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Aug 15th, 2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed at the Chelsea Inn a several years ago since I had a car. Luckily I got a quiet room towards the back. Handy to restaurants in the Marina and a few blocks from Union Street/cow Hollow. I read some recent reviews and an outdoor dance club across Fillmore Street is a noise problem. So it depends on where one’s room faces. A friend stayed at the Hotel del Sol also nearby, but a higher price point. They enjoyed it.

Old Aug 15th, 2022, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Chelsea and sister properties:

https://chelseamotorinn.com/sister_properties.html
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 11:08 PM

trying to stay away from Union Square

Oh, OK. Sorry then I've got nothing. That's where I and friends have stayed when visiting San Francisco from Seattle. My trips were awhile ago. But two women friends were there just a couple weeks ago, did the entire trip using public transportation, stayed at that first hotel I mentioned, had a great 3day/2night trip.

Old Aug 16th, 2022, 08:49 AM

Friends of mine also liked the Handlery but it is in the Union Square area.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 08:58 AM

I do love the Palace Hotel, if your budget can stretch. It is an older, historic property.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 08:59 AM
mjs

I usually stay at a hotel in San Francisco one or twice a year so have stayed at over 15+ places over the years. What is your budget? Have not stayed at the Chelsea Inn for decades but used to live close. Cow Hollow Inn is similar. I think free parking which is nice if you require it.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 06:22 PM

Friends of mine also liked the Handlery but it is in the Union Square area.

I know that!!! But no one had mentioned the not wanting to stay in Union Square when I posted my suggestion. It's not like I'm recommending the Tenderloin fergoodnesssake.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 08:17 PM

suze, I wasn't directing my comment to you. My intention was to chime in saying I had heard also good things about the hotel but letting the OP know I realize it might not work for her since it is in Union Square.

Last edited by KTtravel; Aug 16th, 2022 at 09:15 PM.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 08:29 PM

The OP wasn’t clear on avoiding Union Square or had already done some research of the area. Not trying to criticize, it just would have helped provide a more focused response.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 08:57 PM

But we don't even know why she's "trying to stay away from Union Square". Never mentioned it and none of her negatives are of a concern when I've stayed there. I know there are areas to stay away from, but I don't see this as one of them. I know lots of people who have stayed there, including myself (as recommended by locals I was visiting), and my two (older lady single) friends only a few weeks ago. Not like I'm pulling it out of my hat

We don't have a neighborhood or a price range for what you are seeking, ninasdream. I just assumed you'd take a taxi to and back from the theater.

KTravel, definitely not taking it personally as far as your comment!! no worries and yes I saw your post as being a positive about the Handlery.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 12:49 AM

I was going to suggest 'The Inn at Union Square'... I liked the postion. just around the corner from Macy's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -