Agent for Portugal and southern Spain

Old Aug 12th, 2022, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agent for Portugal and southern Spain

Now, before all you great contributors tell me I can do it myself, I know I could. But my trip planning has evolved to a method that works well for me. Lots of research, including here and on TA, collecting advice and suggestions, formulating a wishlist, looking at maps, and creating my itinerary. Then I like to work with a travel agent - preferably someone who is located in my destination area - who is an expert for my destination to find lodging, sort timing, make all the reservations, and tie up all the loose ends. To be honest, I don’t enjoy the minutiae of travel planning.

It is is very important to find an expert agent, not just someone who sells me stuff.
Examples: I had excellent results with an African safari expert who validated my thinking about Botswana and suggested perfect hotels where her Mom stayed; and a NZ expert who lives in Auckland and did a perfect job of listening to my wishes and making them happen; an Alaskan expert who lives in Alaska and helped me design a wonderful one-month adventure that I could afford; a South American expert who lives in Buenos Aires and who put together Chile and Argentina for me. She stayed in touch with me (I am a solo traveler) every day in Argentina and warned me, like a Mom, to be “home” by certain times. The best part of using the local agents: when something goes awry, there is a contact person. I had two very small upsets that were each swiftly solved by a local phone call.

Now I am planning for southern Spain and Portugal. Maybe two weeks in October. Minimal time in big cities - just to see the primary “attractions” - mostly I like the small towns, the landscape, the off the beaten path experiences, the food, the art, the history.

So I am looking for a recommendation for an agent IN Portugal. Thanks for any help you may offer.

Last edited by MyBaggage; Aug 12th, 2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 12:55 PM

You might want to reach out to Maribel who posts regularly on this forum on all things Spain and Portugal. She is extremely helpful to everyone who posts here and is planning a trip but she does have a travel company specializing in this region. Maribel is an American woman but has lived in Spain and traveled extensively in these countries. I couldn’t think of anyone better for your interests!
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 01:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely contact Maribel!
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 02:21 PM

Thanks very much for the too kind words, progol and HappyTrvl
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 04:28 PM

Well deserved, Maribel!
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will check with Maribel.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 06:28 PM

Maribel - we are traveling late September into October - plan is the fly from Boston into Barcelona for 3 days; onto Mardrid for 3 days; then Sevilla for 3 days; onto Lagos and then Lisbon. Would love to hear your advice on hotels, best sights and ways to travel...thanks
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 06:52 AM

BCHC,
Maribel (a longtime contributor to these boards) has her own business but also generously shares her knowledge on this board. Many of the travelers who post here have also discussed the same topics you’ve asked about in your questions. You might find a lot of answers to your questions if you do a search on this board first and, for example, when you’ve narrowed choices down, come back and ask for more help. Right now, your questions are very broad.

You might start looking at at Maribel’s website, where she has created free guides for many of these regions. If someone wants to hire her, of course, you’d want to contact her through the website:
https://maribelsguides.com/maribels%20guides/

PS - I’m not Maribel’s agent! I’m just an appreciate Fodorite who has benefited from her generosity in sharing her knowledge here!
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 10:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Maribel’s guides were so helpful for us on our six week trip in Portugal and Spain. We used many of her hotel recommendations one for a much needed laundry in Hondarribia!
When heading to other countries we wish Maribel included them too.