Planning first time trip to Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2022, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m planning a 7 day trip to Greece first time there looking for ideas from travelers including best time to go,where to stay in places recommended .group would be about 8 people
Thanking you in advance
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 12:17 PM

What are the ages of people in your group?
Are they experienced travelers?
Any couples, children, etc to share accommodations?
Where are you coming from?
What are some particular interests in the group?
What is your individual Budget? Be specific, numbers. Words like cheap and luxury mean different things to different people.
When are you hoping to do this trip? This year? Next year?
You say 7 days. Will that be days on the ground or does that include travel time?

Figure out your itinerary before booking flights.

Old Aug 11th, 2022, 04:58 PM

Sassafrass asks lots of important questions before people can give you good advice. One other question: what time of year?

I will take a stab at it. Perhaps one island and Athens. If Santorini is on your bucket list, then I suggest Santorini for 3 nights. Santorini is beautiful and the views of the caldera are stunning. It's overcrowded but worth it to see it at least once in a lifetime. Then spend 4 nights in Athens. Lots of history, culture, museums, ruins, markets, and good food. Fly to Santorini and fly home from Athens. You can fly from Santorini to Athens.

Another awesome island to visit is Naxos. It is quiet and less crowded than Santorini. Lots of hikes, beautiful scenery, fresh fish, lovely small villages, etc. Stay in Naxos Town. Rent a car for at least one day to drive around the island.

I wouldn't visit more than 2 destinations in 7 nights.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by gregmlt
I’m planning a 7 day trip to Greece first time there looking for ideas from travelers including best time to go,where to stay in places recommended .group would be about 8 people
Thanking you in advance
The OP asks ‘best time to go’. IMO May or September, as it gets pretty hot during the summer months, it’s also relatively less crowded. Sassafrass and Karen give excellent advice, Athens and one island would be the perfect mix for a first trip to Greece. End at Athens and fly back home from there.

Greece is magical and you’ll be back for more…
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 10:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
For 7 nights: 5 nights Santorini, 2 nights Athens

We liked mid-September on Santorini. Not crowded, if you steer clear of Fira. We stayed near Imerovigli, at The Gold Suites and highly recommend.

Weather was perfect, but it starts changing in late September, to windy, rainy days.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 11:21 AM

I agree with Geetika that May and September are perfect months to visit Greece, before the weather gets too hot. We were in Greece for 2.5 weeks this past May, and we had perfect weather. Cooler but comfortable in Santorini, and then the temps started getting a bit warmer in Naxos and Nafplion. Athens' temps were about 90F. I think other good months to consider are April and October. Although based on what MoBro says, perhaps October is too late for Santorini weather-wise. You should do some research on the islands to see what is open in April or October. Many, many years ago I was in Athens for a week in April with a group. We did daytrips from Athens. Weather was perfect for those locations in April. Comfortable temps and not too crowded.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 07:41 AM

With 7 days I would pick Athens for 2-3 days at the end of your trip and one island.

There are numerous Greek Islands and it would be impossible to make recommendations as many of them are worthy of a visit. Plus what one person goes to Greece for may be different than what you are going for.

I go to Greece every October, usually the first half and regardless of where I've gone the weather is lovely. Mild temperature without the heat of summer, some rain but no wash outs, less tourists and lower costs for accommodations. The Aegean still warm from the summer heat for an enjoyable dip in the water. However there is no guarantee what the weather will be like regardless of where you go.

I would highly recommend doing more research on an island to visit

Check out the website for islands to consider:
https://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

First time to greece

My group is 4 couples from 55 to 75 all in fairly decent shape.Our interest vary but all love travel and exploring Greece by way of day tours.I know Santorini is the island we would enjoy and probably will spend 4 days there and then maybe pick another island if we up the trip to 10 days.As far as finances we would like to be comfortable and would appreciate suggestions for Santorini and Athens.We will do more investigation on visiting Greece in late May.Thank you for your input
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 11:17 PM

Greece is more than just Athens and the islands. If your group has an interest in ancient history, a perfect combination would be Santorini, Nafplio (in the Peloponnese, not an island), with Athens at the end. Look at all the wonderful day trips you could take from Nafplio in the below link. Nafplio is only two hours by road from Athens, so you don’t have to worry about flights or ferries.

http://www.visitnafplio.com/
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 04:34 AM

Nafplio, like all of Heimdall’s suggestions on Greece, is a wonderful destination. I enjoyed 4 nights there last month and would happily return, if given the opportunity. I took a bus from Athens and the trip was about 2 hours. If you do go, try to be there on a Saturday for their Farmer’s Market. It was exceptional.

Old Aug 20th, 2022, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Heimdall
Greece is more than just Athens and the islands. If your group has an interest in ancient history, a perfect combination would be Santorini, Nafplio (in the Peloponnese, not an island), with Athens at the end. Look at all the wonderful day trips you could take from Nafplio in the below link. Nafplio is only two hours by road from Athens, so you don’t have to worry about flights or ferries.

http://www.visitnafplio.com/
Thank you for posting the wonderful videos.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 05:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Athens hotel- We decided to try the Electra Palace even though the Plaka district did not appeal to us. We left there the next morning after not being able to sleep all night long due to noise in the walls ( which the manager denied had happened)and being lied to! So do not stay there! Another staff member confirmed that the mechanicals for the pool on roof were behind our room’s walls.
On a first time trip you should see Santorini for it’s caldera view. It is crowded and touristy so only stay a few nights and then head to a more real Greek island experience on Paros or Naxos. Napflio on the Peloponnesean Peninsula is a beautiful small city surrounded by some of Greece’s major antiquities, the Mycenae, Turin’s, Epidavros. It is a two hour drive from Athens.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Aug 20th, 2022 at 05:53 AM.