Sunnyvale, CA to Colorado Springs with Uhaul in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Our family is making a military PCS move to Colorado Springs from Sunnyvale, CA in mid-April. I would greatly appreciate guidance on the best route with a 15ft Uhaul in mid-April. Google maps is showing two routes: I-80/I-25 or I-5/ I-15/I-70. I am not sure which way would be safest overall. I've heard Tahoe can get snow in April, cross winds in Wyoming can be a problem and the ski resort areas on I-70 can be tough.

My husband will be driving the Uhaul and I will be driving a sedan with a 1.5 year old. We will have all our belongings with us so suggestions on safe areas to stay overnight would also be appreciated! Thank you!
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 02:11 PM

Not a real expert but I would say probably 5 to 15 to 70.

This also gives you an option to divert at Barstow and take I/40 to I/25. In fact, that would probably be my choice.

Last edited by mlgb; Aug 10th, 2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 05:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

I'd probably do I-15/I-70as well. No matter the time of year, it would likely be easiest driving a truck
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"... and the ski resort areas on I-70 can be tough."

I'm not sure what this means. There are only 4 ski areas on I-70, and at the very tail end of the season (mid-April) the crowds are thinner. The one thing I would recommend against is driving between Avon and Denver on a Sunday afternoon.

FWIW, we drive the I-15/I-70 route between Los Angeles and Vail every February/March. After Las Vegas, the geology and scenery gets really interesting and beautiful.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 09:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
As noted above, you have your three major west->east routes: 1-80, I-70, I-40. Come April next year any one could be the best choice. Keep and eye on the weather forecast and road conditions, then decide. (Over 30 years of commuting in Colorado some of my worst white-knuckle drives were in April, but it could also be dry and beautiful.) A storm can impact one of the routes, but not the others.

The state DOT websites and apps are good to keep an eye on:
https://www.cotrip.org/home
https://wyoroad.info/
https://www.nmroads.com/mapIndex.html

If you wind up on I/40, keep an eye on Raton Pass (NM-CO state line), it's thrown something at us on several April drives.
Plenty of decent chain hotels along all routes, no need to book in advance.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 09:51 AM

Personally, I would go on I-80 which has gentle grades and little snow that time of year through Wyoming.. I-70 could have snow and it has steeper grades through Colorado.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 11:48 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Like Nelson, we as fellow Colorado residents have had some seriously hairy drives in April. I'd keep all options open and decide at the last minute, based on the weather.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 08:26 AM

I am not quiet the alarmist that others are as to the weather in mid-April. In our 42 years here I can remember some bad Marches but not many April problems. You can still get snow on the mountain passes but it will come and go quickly. I would vote for I-5,15, 70. Easter is April 9th next year so most of the ski areas will be closed or closing by mid-April. If you can avoid being on I-70 between Vail and Denver on any Sunday afternoon I would. Traffic can be heavy whether it is a ski weekend or summer.

That whole run would be pretty flat except for Vail pass but other than slow going if the uHaul is heavy and underpowered. Pretty straight with gentle curves.

Right now we are having problems with I-70 in the Glenwood canyon stretch just east of Glenwood Springs. A forest fire last year is causing problems with mud and rock slides this year closing I-70 in the canyon for cleanup and prevention. There is no reasonable detour around Glenwood canyon so you are stuck if temporarily closed. Closure is in hours, not days. However, that probability in April of next year would be very, very small. I would not worry about it. Colorado transportation department is pretty go for updating road information and the web site is excellent.

When you hit the west of the Denver metro area to be sure to take C-470 south to I-25 and Colorado Springs. Avoids coming into Denver itself.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you planning on taking two ten-hour days for the drive? If so then St George Utah would be your stop for the night. Most lodging is usually inexpensive there, and in April you won't even need a reservation, just maybe book an hour or so beforehand when you're sure you're gonna make it to town (usually get a better rate booking ahead than just walking in). . The St George Inn & Suites has several parking spaces where you can (carefully) back the Uhaul up against the pool fence or some trees/brush so that nobody can make their way to the rear doors at night. The Red Lion in St George also has some pillars or a few spaces that back right up against a wall.

(Actually I think St George Inn has a 6pm day-of-arrival cancellation policy on booking.com, so you would be safe to book there in advance then see how the day goes. Just don't forget to cancel if you're not gonna make it. )