Car rental - Lyon to Tours

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental - Lyon to Tours

I've reserved, but not prepaid for, a car for our September trip to Provence, from Lyon by way of Annecy, and on to Amboise - dropping off the car in Tours before returning to Paris. We will have the car for 18 days, so not enough for a lease. Wow - the prices these days are (unsurprisingly) sky-high, compared to a slightly longer period of time in 2018 - same time of year. Like three times higher.

I don't want to pay in advance, so looking at pay-at-the-counter possibilities. Looks like the rates have come down a bit since I reserved a couple months ago - so I'm going to keep looking over the next month before we arrive.

If anyone has a recommendation for finding a better rate than we have found - I'm open to suggestions.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 07:15 AM

Why not pay in advance if you can cancel with no penalty up to 48 hours before the start of the rental? Or did AutoEurope change its policy?

Would a 21 day lease be cheaper than an 18 day rental? If so, can they stop you from returning the car early?

BTW, none of the places you mention are in the Provence.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 10th, 2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael
Why not pay in advance if you can cancel with no penalty up to 48 hours before the start of the rental? Or did AutoEurope change its policy?

Would a 21 day lease be cheaper than an 18 day rental? If so, can they stop you from returning the car early?

BTW, none of the places you mention are in the Provence.
LOL - Yes, I do know neither of the pick up and return places are in Provence. We will be spending two weeks in Provence between Lyon and Tours.

Also - I don't like to pay in advance, because it can take weeks for the $$$ to be returned to one's credit card account, and there have been times the prices have gone down a number of times between making the first reservation and the final one. It's much easier to cancel and rebook if there's no refund involved.

Last edited by scdreamer; Aug 10th, 2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 09:59 PM

I think most of us learnt valuable lessons about refunds during covoid, and I will not pay in advance anymore either.
I guess all you can hope is that they come down a bit.