Reload this Page >

Should I fly with Aegean or Olympic from Athens to Milos

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Trying to plan my trip at the moment and feeling a bit overwhelmed by the airlines at the moment. We are scheduled to travel from Canada to Athens on September 29th, 2022 and we are planning to go to Milos on the 1st of October, 2022. I've thought about taking a ferry but because of limited time in each place, would really prefer flying. Does anyone know if any one of the above airlines is starting to see improvements? Thanks so much!
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:46 AM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Fodors, We moved your thread from Technical Support to the Europe Forum and tagged it for Greece
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 01:25 PM

Olympic Air is a part of Aegean Airlines, and performs the flights from Athens to Milos, so you don’t have a choice. You can book the flight on either the Aegean or Olympic website, and the Olympic flights are distinguished by the Olympic rings next to the flight number. The other Greek airline with flights to Milos is Sky Express, and they both use similar turboprop aircraft.

I don’t know what you mean by “starting to see improvements” because Aegean Airlines has been rated the best regional airline in Europe for the last ten years or so.

Last edited by Heimdall; Aug 9th, 2022 at 01:29 PM.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:16 PM

Fly to Milos directly after arrival at ATH (if there is a convenient flight) instead of going into Athens and backtracking the day after (waste of time).
Spend your last night in Athens in order to get sure to catch the flight home.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You know the ferry is normally cheaper, prettier and faster. Oh and a lower carbon foot print.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 12:59 AM

Good point, Bilbo, but it isn’t as easy as that. The only ferries leaving Piraeus on 1st October are two Sea Jet highspeeds departing at 8am, both driven by turbine engines that use an enormous amount of fuel. I know you are a Guardian reader, but probably don’t remember an article written in 2007, that said “Did you know, for example, that some ferries emit far more carbon dioxide than some planes?”

https://www.theguardian.com/theguard...uardianweekly1

An alternative to the 40 minute flight from Athens to Milos would be to take a conventional ferry. The next one after the OP’s arrival at Athens is the Artemis, which leaves Lavrio on Friday 7 Oct at 7:30 AM and arrives on Milos at 10:50 PM. I would take the flight.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 01:30 AM

Glad someone put a link to the pollution caused by shipping. I was about to look for the same. Also why worry about carbon footprints after flying all that way. It is an oxymoron.
Ferries can take along time. You will have to transfer from the airport to the port.
If the weather is bad then they can be cancelled.
Link given so you can make your choise
https://ferries.greeka.com/?from=PIR&to=MLO
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 02:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No it is not an oxymoron, an oxymoron is more about two words that shouldn't sit next to each other like civil service or military intelligence.

The actual time of the ferry is about the same as the aircraft but the check in time at the airport sure adds up. Going to an airport also adds time

Can we agree to not spend time on these arguments. I don't like climate change, I feel it appropriate to highlight alternative ways to communicate that dislike but having to chat it through each time with you is not really moving anyone forward. If you like climate change then fine.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 03:18 AM

Using VANAARLE’s link, the cost of the Sea Jets ferries from Piraeus to Milos on 1 or 2 October is €74.70, plus bus or taxi fare from the airport to the ferry port. The cost of an Aegean flight, which includes 23kg checked luggage, at 13:30 on 1 Oct is €81.99. If the OP’s flight from Canada arrives early enough, the 08:40 Aegean flight is €76.99.

Sky Express flights come in at €65.99 for their 09:45 flight, and €80.99 for the 16:45, both including 23kg checked luggage.

Ferry ticket prices are fixed, so won’t change between now and October. Airlines use dynamic pricing, so fares could go up or down nearing the departure date. If you decide on a flight it would be wise to book soon, as the small turboprops carry only about 50 passengers, and normally sell out.

EDIT: tryin to provide information to the OP, not to argue.

Last edited by Heimdall; Aug 10th, 2022 at 03:44 AM.