London Heathrow & the Grab App

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Heathrow & the Grab App

Hello,
Has anyone used the Grab App to pre-order food at London Heathrow? I'm thinking of pre-ordering us hampers from Fortnum & Mason for our 2 hour flight to Ljubliana. We depart Heathrow at 5:20 PM after a 10-hour layover (staying at the Sofitel at T5), and am thinking it would be best to have our dinner on the flight.

I am interested in your opinions/experience with:
Pre-ordering food at Heathrow
The Grab App
Restos at T5
Fortnum & Masons hampers to-go

Any other thoughts/advice you have.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 12:47 AM

If you have a 10hr stopover & are staying at the Sofitel, wouldn’t you have meal(s) at the hotel? La Belle Époque is very good, have dined there couple of times. I’m not sure if you need to order a hamper from F&M as well, for a short 2hr flight if you eat in the hotel or terminal (several eating options @ T5). Otherwise order a hamper.

Ordering in advance is a good idea as some of the lines for take out food & drinks were very long last time I was in T5, which was very recently, although that’s probably due to very early morning flight & people wanting coffee/breakfast & being the height of summer so very busy.

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balthy
If you have a 10hr stopover & are staying at the Sofitel, wouldn’t you have meal(s) at the hotel? La Belle Époque is very good, have dined there couple of times. I’m not sure if you need to order a hamper from F&M as well, for a short 2hr flight if you eat in the hotel or terminal (several eating options @ T5). Otherwise order a hamper.

Ordering in advance is a good idea as some of the lines for take out food & drinks were very long last time I was in T5, which was very recently, although that’s probably due to very early morning flight & people wanting coffee/breakfast & being the height of summer so very busy.
We plan to get a good nap at the Sofitel, and since it's not airside, we'll have to go through security to catch our flight to Ljubliana. We might be able to eat at the Sofitel, but not sure how much actual time we'll have for that. I was looking for a good way to get some food quickly (depending on how long the security lines are).
So many variables involved... I just want to be ready.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 06:20 AM

Bag drop lines were long but moved quickly, you use self service machine (assuming BA), print & tag your own bag, so it easy & quick.

Security line was long too but it moved quickly.

The longest line was at restaurants & coffee places eg Prêt à manger etc, anywhere that served food. But it might not be like that the day you travel.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

I've been following the reports of airport & baggage chaos, and a friend just traveled to Sydney, Australia and his baggage was lost. So we are doing carry-on only!
Hopefully we can take a 4-5 hour nap at the Sofitel, and then get through security in a reasonable amount of time, and get something to eat. That's the best-case scenario.

I just want to be ready for the "Less Than Best-Case" scenario... The one where we're stuck in long, python-sized security lines, and are running to jump on our airplane as it pulls away from the gate. Pretty sure it's going to be this. But at least we'll have our luggage.