Search

Rome and Florence: rental car pick up/drop off location questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 08:25 AM
JYK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome and Florence: rental car pick up/drop off location questions

We are going from Rome to Val D'Orcia to Chianti area then onto Florence.
Based on a recommendation in a separate post, I think we are going to pick up a rental car in Rome and do a one-way drop off in Florence.

In Rome, we would be closest to the Termini train station. I'm a bit nervous about driving out of Rome from here, as directions look like I have to drive straight across the city. Would there be any benefit to picking up a car at another location, maybe at the airport??

On a similar note, when dropping off in Florence, would it be easier to drop off at the airport and train into the city?
I'm looking to use National/Enterprise or Hertz b/c I can use my corporate benefits.
Both have a location within the city, just not sure about driving into the city with ZTL etc??

Any input would be appreciated. thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 09:41 AM
mjs

Can you drive a stick? Better chance of getting an automatic if you need one at FCO
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 09:53 AM
JYK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjs
Can you drive a stick? Better chance of getting an automatic if you need one at FCO
Yes, both of us know how to drive a manual shift. Though auto is easier, stick shift is fine. We seem to drive it whenever in Europe 😁

is that the only factor to pick up at the airport??
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:25 AM
J62

The airport (FCO) is in the wrong direction for getting to Val D'Orcia then the Chianti area. I would just pick up the car at Termini and ask them for the most direct way out of town to your destination. That would either be north across town, or east to connect to one of the highways.

Florence is much smaller, but you could easily drop off at the airport and get a taxi into town, or take the shuttle bus from the rental car center back to the airport and take the tram.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:56 AM

You don't have to drive across the city if you pick your car up at Termini station. Termini is on the northeast side of Rome and you'll be heading north.

The traffic can be quite heavy though.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:40 AM
mjs

The only other reason to pick up a car at FCO would be for a greater selection of cars but that’s probably not important. Don’t think it takes longer to go up to the Val de Orcia from FCO as you are out of the city. Consider driving up the coast on E80 instead of the A1. Might even be easier out of FCO as you may not have to deal as much with the city traffic. Might depend on day of week and time of day. If automatic is not a concern I’d just pick up from Termini.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 02:26 PM
JYK
Original Poster

Thank you! DOH, I didn't even consider where the airport was.