Gualeguaychu Carnival, Argentina

Old Aug 8th, 2022, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gualeguaychu Carnival, Argentina

I am thinking of going to the Gualeguaychu carnival in February 2023. Has anyone done this before and have any tips, recommendations, is it worth doing etc? I am a woman in her mid-60's travelling alone so do you think the Carnival is OK from a safety aspect as compared to generally travelling around Argentina and Chile.

I can see that it is a 3 hour bus trip from Buenos Aires and realise I have to be there on a Saturday night. I will not get into BA until the Friday afternoon (flying in from Iguazu Falls) so it is unlikely I could catch a bus that day. Therefore it would be bus up on the Saturday and bus back on the Sunday as I intend to fly to Bariloche on the Monday.

Given the time constraints, it's this something you suggest is worth doing (I'm unlikely to make a third trip to South America) or should I just head straight to Bariloche and Chiloe and have the extra time there. I'm allowing one week for that part of the trip, I will have already had sufficient time in Buenos Aires prior to going to the Falls so don't need extra time there.

I did try contacting a local travel agent in BA to see if they will be offering pre arranged packages for transportation, accommodation and tickets but haven't received any response. If you know of an agency that might do this, I would welcome recommendations.

TIA
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:27 PM

I did post a reply earlier but it seems to have disappeared! Perhaps because the moderators didn't like that I referenced at the Tripadvisor forum as a place that you are more likely to get information? Anyway, one more try.

I have spent a lot of time Argentina but have never heard of that carnival. I have been to a number of carnivals and fiestas etc. (though in Peru, Chile and Colombia rather than Argentina) in South America and have always had a great time and they have been experiences to remember. as for safety, I feel that most places outside of BA are pretty safe. I have never had any issues in travelling throughout Argentina so I wouldn't let that be a determining factor.

If you have away to play with and don't want to add it to BA or Bariloche, then I would take a look at a ferry trip across the Rio de la Plata to Colonia del Sacremento in Uruaguay. An overnight there would be a nice contrast to BA. Very quaint, very pretty and some great restaurants. https://accidentalnomads.com/categor...erica/uruguay/
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

I had hoped you would reply Crellston as I knew you had spent quite some time in Argentina. Unfortunately for me you are not familiar with the carnival. It is meant to be the biggest one in Argentina. In case you are interested, I'm including a link about it. https://www.carnavalargentina.com.ar/gualeguaychu.html

Regardless, thank you for taking the time to reply and it was good to hear that you think going over to Colonia is worth it as i had alrwady intended to do that as a day trip.

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 01:03 AM

You are welcome Shandy, sorry I could have been of more help. It looks like quite some show! More like the Rio Mardi Gras than ones I have been to.
Have a great time and do post some details of your experience here if you have time.