Lodging in Stonington, Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2022, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for any input on Boyce’s Motel vs In on the Harbor.
Boyce’s seems old school but friendly, true to Maine’s ambiance but wondering if too outdated and potentially musty smelling. A huge turn off for me. Inn on the Harbor is definitely more upscale but is it worth the price.
Anxious for our late September Maine trip and welcome any and all tips.
Many thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 11:52 AM

Sorry I can't help with your lodging question, but we are interested in going there next year. May I ask why you chose late September? Other than avoiding crowds and traffic? I'd like to wait that late but a little concerned about weather. Thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

We were working around some other planned vacations and family trips. Weather wise it could start to be chilly last week in September but nothing too extreme. I actually welcome “sweatshirt and sock” weather.
To be honest, there wasn’t much thought to the timing except that other activities would be done along with some dental and medical appointments.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 12:40 PM

Oddly enough, I have stayed at both places, but decades ago.
We stayed at the place on the water before they upgraded and changed their name, and some years later stayed at Boyce because the first place was too expensive for us at the time.

We did like Stonington enough to go back, and if you look at the related posts below, you will see some of my thoughts.

No idea of current conditions.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boyce's is not musty or run-down, it's a well kept place and pretty nicelyh updated at least as far as Maine motels go. Cottage-style rooms with kitchenettes. It is located downtown so there is some morning noise if you like to "sleep-in". Delivery trucks, traffic etc, nothing major.

I don't know Inn by the Harbor but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Nearby, Oakland House cottages are another nice choice to consider.

Late Sept is when all the leaf-peepers start to invade the state so don't wait too much longer to book something. Inn at the Harbor has by far the most lenient cancellation policy.
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Booked one night at Boyce’s Motel- $99. Will update after stay in early October.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by bjordan49
Sorry I can't help with your lodging question, but we are interested in going there next year. May I ask why you chose late September? Other than avoiding crowds and traffic? I'd like to wait that late but a little concerned about weather. Thanks.
three friends and I do our annual long weekend getaway usually third weekend in September and weather is usually great. Last year it was Wells area of southern Maine. In the past have also done Camden area. If you are interested in organic gardening /farming the Common Ground Fair is usually late September. Some lobster shacks are still open weekends only in September.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. So much to research before we leave ….I’ll be back with more questions.
Again, thanks fo sharing.
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Boyce’s Motel in Stonington

Originally Posted by bfamilyfun
Thanks for the input. Booked one night at Boyce’s Motel- $99. Will update after stay in early October.
As promised, we stayed one night at Boyce’s Motel. Barter, the owner could not have been more friendly or gracious. The property is well kept and the flowers were stunning. The room was definitely on the small side but exceptionally clean even managing to fit in a fridge candy microwave. If you are looking for more updates and size then stay across the street at Inn at the Harbor for double the price but you won’t be disappointed at Boyce’s or the sweet town of Stonington.