Exotic place with low heat/humidity

Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exotic place with low heat/humidity

So, I am looking to travel to an 'exotic' destination in 2023 with my two 14-year-olds. We are not good at too high temperatures (above 30 C / 86 F) and high humidity. We are travelling from Denmark, Northern Europe and we are not used to too much warmth/humidity.
We want this trip to be memorable - a once-in-lifetime experience. It should be a mix of seeing things and having access to a bounty beach. The possibility of snorkelling is high on the wish list.
Preferably it should be in July where we would be able to take up to 3 weeks for this adventure. However, 2 weeks in either mid-February or early April could also be possible.
It should not be a European destination!

Any suggestions??
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 06:04 AM

But summers in Denmark have been pretty hot past few years!

Turks & Caicos but perhaps not in July. because it might be too hot for you, early April maybe. The temps don't really get above 30C even in July but the humidity makes it seem hotter. But you'll be in the sea most of the time I would think. You get used to it. There's not too much to see on the island itself, it is the sea, beaches, underwater that is spectacular. You can fly via London where there is a direct flight.

You have alot of options from CPH for destinations in the Caribbean, apart from London, you can connect in Paris or Amsterdam for options to various other islands.

Hawaii does not have as much heat or humidity as the Caribbean in the evenings when it can be very pleasant. During the day it is about the same but more breezy in places. With 3 weeks, it would be perfect to visit one/some of the islands, beautiful beaches and lots to see and do on land as well. Snorkelling is really great. With snorkelling being on the wishlist, it is likely to be a place where it is hot and humid, the waters are very cold in South Africa for instance and not much to see underwater due to water clarity (but they do have seals).

Old Aug 8th, 2022, 09:10 AM

If you go snorkeling, you kind of have to have a hot place anyway or the water temp would be too cold.
The problem is you won't have warm water for snorkeling without high humidity, warm water and humidity go together. You also won't get lush tropical landscapes without humidity.

I think Greece might be your best bet, the temps will likely not be as high as 30. And they do have some good snorkeling.

Try Crete, the sea temp will be about 25 in July, outside temp maybe 28. It's not as humid as some tropical islands, either.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 09:30 AM

Greece inc Crete in summer is hotter than 30C no matter what you google. Cyprus is regularly in the 40Cs. And humidity is common in summer, it can be pretty oppressive unless you’re by the sea or high up above the humidity line.

I’ve been snorkelling in pretty cold waters in Simons Town South Africa. It’s possible with a wetsuit.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 01:40 PM

As most are already saying, July in many areas with good beaches and snorkeling comes with heat and humidity.

For the Caribbean, definitely do not consider July, but do consider Feb/April and look at St John, USVI for at least one of your weeks. That might be a first choice for part of the time.

https://stjohn-villarentals.com/10-b...ts-in-st-john/

Until Covid, we visited our DD in the Caribbean or took a cruise nearly every late winter/very early Spring. It can be hot in a few places on beaches, but it is generally just about perfect.

Puerto Rico is very interesting with lots to do and beaches.

Look at Costa Rico also. I have not been there but friends love it. A week would do.

Southern Florida, the Everglades (alligators, etc.) and the islands of the Keys (Key West) is actually pretty exotic. Feb-April is perfect weather there too. A week there and a week on a Caribbean Island would be great and exciting. If you can fit it in, a day in Cape Canaveral would be interesting too.

Others might say differently, but a week long cruise to different islands (choose carefully and include St Lucia, Barbados, Cozumel, Turks & Caicos and St Kitts if possible, St Thomas if you spend the day on St John), could be a lot of fun with a new island and activities every day. Follow with a week in one place or one island. GD has swam with sting rays and snorkeled in many different places. She also enjoys meeting other kids her age on the ship. This would be easy since most depart from Florida or Puerto Rico and flights to most islands also depart from Florida.
So many great choices. Good luck.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 02:54 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Australia? July is winter, but definitely not cold, unless you're an Australian and have thin blood. The water would be cold, but it's a good time to head up north to see the whale sharks in Western Australia. Can't get much more exotic than that.

https://www.australiascoralcoast.com...o-whale-sharks

February would be damn hot in OZ, April would be less so as long as you avoid the sticky parts of the country. I'd personally not go unless you had at least three weeks.

New Zealand? It'd be colder than in Australia, but they do snorkel there too - might need a dry suit though.

Definitely not "a European destination"!
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TKIL;[url=tel:17387433
17387433[/url]]So, I am looking to travel to an 'exotic' destination in 2023 with my two 14-year-olds. We are not good at too high temperatures (above 30 C / 86 F) and high humidity. We are travelling from Denmark, Northern Europe and we are not used to too much warmth/humidity.
We want this trip to be memorable - a once-in-lifetime experience. It should be a mix of seeing things and having access to a bounty beach. The possibility of snorkelling is high on the wish list.
Preferably it should be in July where we would be able to take up to 3 weeks for this adventure. However, 2 weeks in either mid-February or early April could also be possible.
It should not be a European destination!

Any suggestions??
July in Australia might be perfect for you as it’s our winter.

Have a look at Australia.com.

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 06:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Besides picking a suitable destination, the month of travel will determine heat and humidity to a great extent.

Many places in Mexico or the Caribbean that offer what you seek would be more hot and humid in July, but quite pleasant in February or April (just for example).
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 07:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
For early April I'd give a look at Eilat, on the Red Sea at the southern tip of Israel. High temperatures will be in the 30°C range, but humidity will be low; water temperature will be 23°C. It's reportedly among the best snorkel and scuba destinations in the world. With two weeks you could spend some time at the beach (maybe throw in a day trip to Petra while you're there) then visit other parts of Israel, such as Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, the Galilee - all splendid in the early spring. Note that Passover falls between April 5-13 next year, but there are non-Kosher restaurants in Eilat if you don't like matzo, but otherwise it'll be a very international scene.

Much farther away, but for July, you could look at Fiji. It will have higher humidity, but daytime high temperatures should be around or slightly below
30°C, with water temperatures similar to those in Eilat. There's a fairly wide range of accommodations on several islands, and you may find the combination of native Fijian and Indian cultures to be fascinating.

Closer than Fiji but equally interesting is Mauritius, where July temperatures (air and water) ought to be tolerable. It's culturally a fascinating place, with a well-developed tourist infrastructure.

Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 05:40 PM

Isn't the Indian Ocean coast of South Africa suitable for warm water snorkeling? I do see one or two references to SA. That would be a bigger payoff than any Caribbean vacation, IMO.