Northwest vs Northeast Sardinia

Old Aug 1st, 2022, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northwest vs Northeast Sardinia

We are planning to travel to Sardinia at the end of August. We have the option of staying in Stintino in the Northwest or Porto Rafael in the Northeast.

How would you compare the two locations?

We are adventurous and would like to spend some time at the beach and hike in nature. We also appreciate a good meal and visit to the town.

Four adults and two children. We will have a car and are open to short day trips!

Since we’re not familiar with the island, we welcome your thoughts and feedback!
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 02:37 AM

The marvellous bay of Pelosa/Stintino will be overcrowded until the last Sunday of August. Then things will get better.
The (less exceptional) sandy beaches of Porto Torres/Platamona and Fertilia (Bombarde and Lazzaretto) as well as the walled medieval town of Alghero are of easy reach y car.

Palau/Porto Rafael counts several sandy beaches with shallow water. The famous breaches of Costa Smeralda (up to Rena Bianca) are less than 30 min (by car) away.

Conclusion: whatever you choose, you can't get wrong.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 05:37 AM

I’d agree with Neckervd - you can’t go wrong.

However , be prepared for crowds as Italians love beaches. Sardinia has the best seascapes in Europe - you could almost (but not quite) be in The Turks and Caicos.

Of the two locations - they are quite different - Stintino gets a lot of day trippers from Alghero and the campsites around the Bay of Torres - getting around can be difficult simply due to the long linear coast roads and the comings / goings out of the adjacent campsites.

By contrast, Porto Raphael is very much more up market and is probably one of the most exclusive coastal areas of Italy - there’s a lot of new money on show in August.

Hiring a car will always allow you to access quieter beaches and there are many in the NE.

we like Santa Teresa as it’s more laid back family oriented and day trips to Corsica / La Maddelena are easy by ferry - have you actually found accommodation at this late stage?
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks both.

Are there more beaches and things to do in the Northeast?

Also, any difference in quality of the beaches?
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 11:13 AM

We have visited 6 times and covered most of the island’s coast the ONLY boring beach I can remember is west of Cagliari on the south coast near the Forte resort, it’s just a good beach.

for how long are you staying on the island ?

there is a beach for every day in the year in the NE corner, can you handle a boat (20 odd ft speedboat ? ]

Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Yes, are you offering me one?
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Shtey
Yes, are you offering me one?
sorry all my toys are over 60ft

No - I was just thinking there are many boat hire places in the area which allow you to access the many islands of La Maddelena. The boats are usually 20ft speed boats.

sorry about my complete confusion- I’ve had too many trips to France and Italy and I’m getting mixed up - the posh Porto Rafael is in France , the posh resort in NE Sardinia is Porto Rotondo - so ignore what I posted previously about Porto Raphael. It is near Palau and the ferry to the islands , it’s middle market and very family based. There’s lots of water sports as the beach is quite exposed and can get windy - lots of kite surfers.

it’s a good base to explore the area.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 01:39 AM

Don't worry about crowds! The mass exodus of Italian tourists wil take place on Sunday August 28th.
La Pelosa (Stintino) is the only beach that might give you a "Caribbean feeling.
But there are much more nice sandy beaches (organized and not organized) in the Northeast (from Palau up to Marinella).
Santa Teresa can get very, very windy.