Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Debating going to Krakow or Edinburgh or Budapest (I know not usual combinations)

Search

Debating going to Krakow or Edinburgh or Budapest (I know not usual combinations)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2022, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello smart travel people!!!

I am a solo traveler and am not enjoying my current destination (a beach destination, super tired of the beach) so I’m looking to change my plans 2 days from now. I already was concerned about accommodation given the festival in Edinburgh but found top rated hostels in the city center for less than $50 a night. Ditto for the other 2 locations.

My interests: History, Architecture, Food, Nature/Hiking

I will be staying for 4 nights (3 - 7th). I am debating either going to Edinburgh for the Fringe festival or Kraków or Budapest because I heard amazing things about the latter 2 destinations. Has anyone been to all or some of these locations?

I’ve found good accommodation for all places so that’s not an issue.

I know they’re not usually compared but I saw there’s a special event in Edinburgh so wasn’t sure if I should miss it!

Kraków appeals to me because of its beauty and I’m also Ukrainian so we have very similar cultures. I’m also Jewish so visiting Auschwitz is very important to me. Any input appreciated!

And Budapest seems to be every solo travelers favorite destination! And I loved Prague and have heard Kraków is like a mini Prague.

I think if it wasn’t for the Fringe festival I probably would save Edinburgh for another trip. I’ve never been into the arts but I watched the YouTube videos and it seems intriguing!
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 12:30 PM

From what you write, Krakow sounds like the best choice.

https://flic.kr/p/cAuuew
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Any reason why not Edinburgh? I guess one side of my brain is like when will you ever be in Edinburgh during Fringe again. I guess a part of me is feeling what is called FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).

I guess whatever I choose I can’t lose!

I also forgot to add I was considering Berlin as well since it intrigued me but I also heard some say it’s just a big city like NYC. I have a friend who lives in Berlin so I could even see him for a day. But don’t wanna base a decision just off that.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't tell us where you are now, which might affect the choice .

I understand the pull of Krakov but that is not a time limited event whereas the Edinburgh Fringe is only on for a short period of time. If you can really stay there for that price, go for it.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annhig
You don't tell us where you are now, which might affect the choice .

I understand the pull of Krakov but that is not a time limited event whereas the Edinburgh Fringe is only on for a short period of time. If you can really stay there for that price, go for it.
Omg I really apologize!! I am currently in Athens. I have already been to a lot of Greece, so not interested in staying here. I found a $70 flight to London on Aegean. Then could take a $100 6 hour train ride to Edinburgh (I love trains, so it would be cool to see the British countryside). There’s also a direct flight to Edinburgh on EasyJet for $181. The train + plane combo would arrive 4 hours earlier.

Berlin has a direct flight for $345 on Aegean.

Krakow costs $257 and requires a stop in Zürich on Swiss airlines. 5 hours total.

Budapest has a direct flight from Athens for $203 on Aegean.

Price isn’t really an issue for me, I am looking for the best experience. But of course saving money is always a plus.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 03:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a bit skeptical -- IF you in fact found a city centre hostel for less than £40 (with availability) in Edinburgh that is the bargain of the year. Jump on it - (but at those rates it might be a social services hostel)

The city is HUGE fun in August but all restaurants are extremely crowded so you'll need to book in advance unless you are just eating prepackaged sandwiches and street food.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 03:44 PM

Our visit to Krakow was amazing. I recommend it but it will be there next time you return to Europe. Since Edinburgh is an option for you now, it would be my choice. So much going on! So much fun! If you can find a reasonable place to stay, meals and ticket prices will be manageable. In my experience, performances began mid-morning and there were places to go, things to do, productions to see until midnight. In addition to the fringe and the International festivals and the Tattoo, don’t forget the book festival.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k_marie
Our visit to Krakow was amazing. I recommend it but it will be there next time you return to Europe. Since Edinburgh is an option for you now, it would be my choice. So much going on! So much fun! If you can find a reasonable place to stay, meals and ticket prices will be manageable. In my experience, performances began mid-morning and there were places to go, things to do, productions to see until midnight. In addition to the fringe and the International festivals and the Tattoo, don’t forget the book festival.
I decided on Edinburgh. Was even able to book tickets to the castle! And a Harry Potter walking tour
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 06:02 AM

Good choice. I have been to all 3 destinations, plus Prague as well, and I was going to say you cannot miss with any of them, however, the Edinburgh Festival made the decision easier. Have a wonderful time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by AlpacaLlama
I decided on Edinburgh. Was even able to book tickets to the castle! And a Harry Potter walking tour
THANKS for posting your decision! Too often people ask for advice but never report back…Even though I offered no advice, thinking there was no bad choice, glad to know your outcome.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 07:11 AM

In case you haven’t already found it, here’s a link for what’s on—

https://edinburghtourist.co.uk/whats-on/august/
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That's wonderful, AlpacaLlama and I'm sure we all hope that you have a blast.