2 days in London

Search

2 days in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days in London

Have been to london a few times. Looking for thoughts on things to do.
Seen most of the tourists things and museums. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Totally unanswerable without more information from you -- What 'tourist things and museums' have you visited? What sorts of things interest you? When will you be there? etc
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

We want to do something off the beaten path, cool pubs with live music, outdoor markets, cool vibe areas to visit.

We don’t have much time and want to do what locals do.

We will be in town a weekend in August.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 09:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" . . . want to do what locals do."

Like commute to work, meet friends at the pub, shop, do the school run, the cinema, walk the dog?? Actually, in August many locals are in Greece, or Ibiza or Portugal.

London is the largest city in western Europe by a huge margin with literally thousands of things to do but w/o knowing what you've done previously and what sorts of things interest you, I can't see random recommendations being all that helpful. Sort of like "I'm going to New York - what should I do??"

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 09:26 PM

"want to do what locals do" On a weekend in August, l we would be busy trying to avoid all the places tourists go to! I would also check out whether any demonstrations are scheduled and where- there seem to have been a lot this year!

Never too sure what is meant by "cool" but for music you could try checking out areas away from the centre Camden, Dalston, Brixton, Hackney , Shoreditch etc All have pubs with live music. Google or Time Out are your friends..

Outdoor makers? I would have said Marylebone Farmers Market except when I cycled there a month or two ago they were building an apartment block on the site - shame, it was one of my favs. Roman Road is a biggie , Portobello Rd, Notting Hill for antiques and stuff. Though, if you happen to be coming the last weekend in August then the Notting Hill Carnival will be on for the first time since 2019 ( I wonder why that is?). That would be so worth buying a ticket for!

Maybe take Sunday brunch somewhere nice? Perhaps avoid the West End and head to somewhere like Primrose Hill, St Johns Wood and a walk in Regents Park or Hampstead and walk on the Heath or a swim in Hampstead Ponds.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

So appreciative of the great information. Thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 10:31 PM

Well, if you have done the major sights, assume you have seen the tower, the queen’s jewels, etc.
Have you toured Hampton Court. You might enjoy a palace that is really a working museum. nice day shortly outside London.
Have you taken in any plays. There are things for every taste and reasonably priced. We often go to some performance every night and even a matinee.

We took one of the canal long boats from Little Venice to Camden Locks. First the quiet of the canal, the house boats along the water with pets and flowers aboard, people walking or biking along the footpath, all peaceful. Then you climb up to the boisterous Camden markets, fun with everything from food to luggage, toys to hats, noise and smells and music.

We have had fun eating lunches and dinners in some of the church crypts. Lunches are simple, soups, sandwich, fruit, tea. Dinners are much nicer, usually with live music.
There are a ton of markets. Read about them and see what you might enjoy.

if you would like a short day trip, catch the train to Oxford. Tour the colleges or head to Blenheim Palace for a tour. Eat at the cafe in Woodstock (easy walk from Blenheim), the support village for Blenheim. If the weather is warm, go punting on the river.

Or, I would recommend this. It seems like it would be a great day with really interesting places to see at a reasonable price.
https://www.viator.com/tours/London/...d737-3858EE019
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 10:35 PM

For outdoor markets - Saturday afternoon at Broadway Market by London Fields in Hackney, or Sunday morning flower market at Columbia Road, Shoreditch, or Sundays at Spitalfields/Brick Lane (I haven't been to Roman Road for a while, but last time I did, it struck me as rather depressed).
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 02:02 PM

You might take a look at museum websites for any temporary/limited exhibitions that are there when you are in London. Some of those can be fantastic. Maybe a day trip by train to someplace you haven’t been…although if the weather is great, I might just sit outside nibble on a few things and enjoy a few pints or glasses of wine.

Old Jul 31st, 2022, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

We were planning on visiting Little Venice and Camden Market etc but were not aware of the boat ride. Sounds like a really fun experience. We will buy our tickets at the dock. Thank you!

Everyone has given great information on things we have not experienced in London. Thank you!