Mexico City question

Old Jul 29th, 2022, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City question

I friend of mine is thinking about going to Mexico City but has phobia about lizards. Just flips him out. I know they are all over the coastal areas but what about MC which is around 7-8 miles elevated. Not sure.

Has anyone who has stayed in MC seen lizards, even the smell ones like geckos let alone iguanas?

Thank you.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 07:47 AM

Yup. I have seen some, but it is not as if they are crawling all over. They were all small (gecko, salamander - i.e. no large iguanas), and because they tend to shy away from humans I did not encounter them all the time every single day, but once in awhile yes.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 08:03 AM

These cute little sisters living near the Centro Historic even had a pet gecko.

Old Jul 29th, 2022, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanadajin
These cute little sisters living near the Centro Historic even had a pet gecko.

thank you for the reply and for this wonderful pic of those precious little girls.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 05:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Well, altitude isn't much of a determining factor as to whether lizards are present or not. We're at 6600 feet and our cat likes to bring us one every now and then. And these 2 guys were at 10,000 feet in Hidalgo state. I always figured tarantulas were more of a tropical thing.

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baldone
Well, altitude isn't much of a determining factor as to whether lizards are present or not. We're at 6600 feet and our cat likes to bring us one every now and then. And these 2 guys were at 10,000 feet in Hidalgo state. I always figured tarantulas were more of a tropical thing.

Oh no. That just would not work!
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 12:54 PM

Jacket, I really dont think your friend has much to worry about. As mentioned, the critters tend to avoid human contact. And they'd be very rare in an urban area like the centro histórico. You might see one in a park if it's cold, up on a rock or concrete wall sunning his or herself. The pics i posted were from a pretty isolated area in a national park.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Jacket, I really dont think your friend has much to worry about. As mentioned, the critters tend to avoid human contact. And they'd be very rare in an urban area like the centro histórico. You might see one in a park if it's cold, up on a rock or concrete wall sunning his or herself. The pics i posted were from a pretty isolated area in a national park.
​​​​​​
Thank you!
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 01:14 PM

And since the little darlins like rubble & rock piles and such, your friend would do well to avoid any archeological sites such as Teotihuacan & Templo Mayor. But places like Bellas Artes, Anthropology Musuem (and pretty much all museums except at ruins), will be fine.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

And since the little darlins like rubble & rock piles and such, your friend would do well to avoid any archeological sites such as Teotihuacan & Templo Mayor. But places like Bellas Artes, Anthropology Musuem (and pretty much all museums except at ruins), will be fine.
Thank you again for the advice!
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 07:18 AM

Just to provide some extra perspective... I've visited CDMX 7 times in the last 12 years, spent a lot of time in parks large and small, visited ruins, walked all over the parts of the city most tourists would visit, and I have yet to see a lizard, gecko or iguana anywhere. I'm sure they're there and are seen sometimes, but it's probably not a super common experience for visitors to see them on the streets. I don't think your friend has anything to worry about.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pedro_Gorman
Just to provide some extra perspective... I've visited CDMX 7 times in the last 12 years, spent a lot of time in parks large and small, visited ruins, walked all over the parts of the city most tourists would visit, and I have yet to see a lizard, gecko or iguana anywhere. I'm sure they're there and are seen sometimes, but it's probably not a super common experience for visitors to see them on the streets. I don't think your friend has anything to worry about.
Thank you!
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 01:39 PM

Your friend will be safe. Iv'e never seen a aggressive behavior from them, Just ignore them and he will be okay.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lukeshflex
Your friend will be safe. Iv'e never seen a aggressive behavior from them, Just ignore them and he will be okay.
thank you. However for somebody who has a phobia just ignoring whatever causes it is not an option. If that was the case then there would be no phobia. I wish it was that easy.