Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Andalucian Itinerary for 5 days - help us choose

Old Jul 28th, 2022, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be flying in to Seville and flying out of Malaga in September. I am torn between two potential itineraries. The first one would have us spend two nights/two days in Seville, one night/one day in Cadiz, one night/two days around Tarifa, and the last night in Malaga. The second itinerary would involve two nights in Seville, two nights in Granada, and the last night in Malaga.

I am drawn to both itineraries for different reasons. The Seville-Cadiz-Tarifa-Malaga itinerary gives us two days to enjoy the beaches on the Atlantic coast. I've heard great things about Bolonia and the other beaches along the coast which I understand are relatively untouched compared to the Costa del sol. There is also something alluring about being in the southern most tip of Spain in Tarifa. On the other hand, the Seville-Granada-Malaga itinerary allows us to visit the Alhambra and the Albaizin, and to experience flamenco in the caves and the arabian baths.

Ultimately I would like to experience the Andalucian culture, cuisine, and architecture, while also having some time for relaxation. What would you choose for your first trip?
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 06:43 AM

I'd have to vote option 2, though I understand the lure of the beach. Partly for the sake of staying put a litte. Grenada is wonderful, even if you can't get Alhambra tickets.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 07:12 AM
twk

Something to think about: September in Andalusia can be rather warm. The weather might be a little bit better along the coast. I don't know if that would be decisive, but it merits consideration.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 07:58 AM

We were in Spain for 3 weeks in May. For sure, option 2. Granada has so much to offer. If you are driving, take the route that goes through Ronda. I personally thought it was the prettiest part of Spain that we traveled through. You can stop at one of the White Villages along the way. We stopped at Zahara de la Sierra and got some beautiful photos. For Granada, I checked the website and there are still tickets for Alhambra every day in September if you book now. The Alhambra should be on every bucket list. I loved the gardens in Generalife. Getting up high in the Albaizin provides some beautiful views of the Alhambra, especially in the evening. If you don't want to tour the Cathedral (which is huge and after Seville, another overwhelming cathedral) visit the Basilica de San Juan de Dios. Its much smaller, but unlike any cathedral I have ever see. We saw flamenco in Seville in the Santa Cruz district, which was is also a neat little area to wander around in and I highly recommend spending time there and seeing the flamenco at Casa de los Flamenco. Make sure to walk through Plaza de Espana in Seville. It is impossible to take a bad photograph, it is that pretty.
If you are traveling by car, stop at Nerja beach on your way to Malaga. It is very picturesque, with beautiful blue water. You can also stop at Rincon de la Victoria between Nerja and Malaga to see the beach caves. Also very pretty and very different from Nerja or Malaga. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 08:46 AM

Option 2, Seville, Granada, Malaga.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 01:11 PM

Definitely Option 2. The Alhambra is not to be missed! One of the most beautiful and interesting places I have ever visited.

Weather shouldn't be too bad in September. We were in Andalucia in September 2017. Temps in Granada were in the 80's, 70's in Malaga. Seville was the hottest. Low to mid 90's. Hot but not unbearable.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 02:07 PM
mjs

It would be option 2 for me too.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. Granada it is!

I got night time tickets to the Nasrid palace at 10pm and the Alhambra General tickets for 10am the next day!

How many hours do you reckon we should put aside to explore the Albaizin and cathedrals?
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 01:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
lasoon. Here (link below) is our 2015 trip report with photos. We spent three nights in Granada and three in Seville. It should give you some ideas. Glad you got those Alhambra tickets. It is remarkable. As good as the Alhambra is to visit, Granada has a lot more to offer than many give it credit for. For a romantic meal with a slick view of the Alhambra, I would suggest Carmen de Aben Humeya. It still gets great reviews on TA.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/spain-2015/
https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/car...granada-spain/