Search

SIM cards in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2022, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIM cards in Sydney

We arrive in Sydney in September and will need a local SIM card for and unlocked iPhone for approximately one month. Will be arriving 08.15am at SYD, head straight to Circular Quay and then ferry to Manly/Fairlight. Will be using the phone

I will need a SIM card mostly for data but also for a few calls within NSW. Most of the time will be in Sydney but plan on a 11 day road trip up or down the coast and back inland. . Don't really need international calls.

A few questions;

a) Which is the the most reliable provider/best coverage?

b) Any particular data packages I should look out for?

c) Where would be the best place to buy a SIM and get it up and running before I leave the shop?

Any input would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 11:47 PM

for allover coverage and reliabilty in all areas you need to go with Telstra. -it ha sthe most coverag ein Australia.
Unfortunately I cant help you with the other matters..
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 03:55 PM

Telstra has the best coverage but it is the most expensive, second would be Optus which would be my likely choice

There is prepaid but it's not that attractive for data etc but they do have a sim only deal with no contract so you can cancel after 1 month and it will give you 500 gb of data, unlimited sms and voice calls in Australia plus a certain number of minutes free international calls for $69. There is an Optus shop at the airport but Im not sure what documentation you need to provide perhaps your son could enquire, so that you're not stuck with the prepaid option
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Geordie, That is very helpful. I would prefer prepaid to avoid the hassle of having to cancel a contract and there is also the question of whether they will accept a foreign bank account (IME unlikely) but also need a fair amount of data. I will try and check out both online before arrival and see what the deals are and see if they have outlets in Manly/Fairlight.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
From my quick google search, the nearest Optus shop is at Warringah Mall ( Shopping centre), Brookvale. It’s 3.5kms from Manly & about 15 mins by bus.

I’d take Passport for ID and pay with your credit card.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bokhara, It sounds as though it would be easier just to pick one up at the airport or around circular quay on arrival
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 09:33 PM

Can you try to order one online and get it sent to your son's address, I see Optus have a $30 SIM for $10 if you buy online and its free delivery
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Geordie. That looks like a bargain! I looked into it, downloaded the app and it looks as though I can just download an esim rather than pick up a physical card. Searching through the T&Cs I can’t see if is available to for non Aussies but I think it should be ok! As we will be in Australia for just over three weeks I will wait awhile to activate, but we should be good to go.

Many thanks🙏 . One less thing to worry about. Now, if you could just find me a reasonably priced accommodation in Mudgee ……….😉
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at Mudgee Apartments last Feb, $180/night. They have a couple of locations in the town, ours was in Church St, an easy 5-10 mins walk to the centre of town. Apartment was upstairs (no lift) and clean and modern inside but not without a few minor faults. Location was good and it was comfortable. We paid online and there was a keysafe with a code. There are some nice wineries in the area, we liked sitting on the deck at Moothi with a share platter, the view was lovely.

https://www.mudgeeapartments.com.au/
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kay. I will check that out. My problem seems to be availability for my dates 23-25 Sept. I think it is a half term or public holiday as prices are astronomical. I could get a weekend at The Savoy in London for the same price as a night in pretty average place in Mudgee. May have to look at a plan B, somewhere else to stop for a couple of nights en route from Dorrigo to Sydney. This will teach me to leave it so late!
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Just tried - no availability for our dates! Have emailed them though