Another where should we go question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2022, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to go next winter. We like to snorkel and Bonaire was recommended to us but the flight time from Denver Is more than I want. I would like to go to Turks & Caicos but am concerned about water temperature. When would it be warm enough to spend some time in the water? March?
Any other suggestions? Daughter suggested Negril. We have been to Caymans X3, St John X2, St Croix, St Thomas, St Lucia, Bahamas ( not Eleuthera) & some of the other islands on a cruise. Aruba might be easier to get to but how is the snorkeling there? Thanks for your input.

Old Jul 28th, 2022, 05:34 AM

Bonaire is great for scuba divers. T&C might be a bit cool in winter but others say the temps are fine. Negril doesn’t have snorkelling, I’ve been once early March & found it a bit cool for my liking. Aruba isn’t bad for snorkelling around Malmok Beach.

Old Jul 29th, 2022, 07:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know about snorkeling. But I have loved my trips to Negril! Been three times over the years. Would return in a heart-beat. You fly into Montego Bay then shuttle or arrange a car for the 90 min (beautiful) drive out to Negril. The lodging is in two sections with the town in the middle, the 7-mile beach one direction, West End Road to "the Cliffs" in the other. Tensing Pen made the favorite hotels list in the T&L magazine this month.

What about Cozumel?
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks suze, will look into Tensing Pen and research snorkeling in Negril
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 06:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't been to any of these specific places but I have two very good friends who each go to the Caribbean pretty often - mostly for snorkeling and other outdoor pursuits, and these are the place they tend to repeat visit:

One of them goes to Jamaica (I think Negril) sometimes but mostly he goes to Belize.

The other friend travels more often and is REALLY into snorkeling, and is more of a 'free agent'. She has been to Roatan, Belize, US Virgin Islands, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Bonaire is on her wish list but I think Roatan and Belize have been her favorites so far.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. So far, the list is Bonaire, Negril, Aruba, Curaçao and Belize. Janis, where does your friend stay in Belize? I have to compare, cost, ease of connections & flight times and snorkeling/beach quality. If Southwest flies there, it’s a bonus as we maybe able to use points for part.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 12:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Last two trips she stayed in San Pedro - apparently there is a great marine reserve just off shore there. Her photos were amazing. I think most trips to Belize she's stayed on Ambergris Caye but AFAIK not always in San Pedro.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by BetsyG
So far, the list is Bonaire, Negril, Aruba, Curaçao and Belize.......... I have to compare, cost, ease of connections & flight times and snorkeling/beach quality.
In terms of beach quality, Bonaire does not have any beaches to speak of. It is a diving island, rocky but easy entrance to the water in places where it is sandy initially. It is a fantastic little island.
Negril has 7MB which is excellent. Jamaica is not known for snorkelling, maybe around the Rocks area it would be ok or take a trip out to a reef. Scuba was disappointing. Rocks area is lovely.
Aruba has lots of beaches, the snorkelling is not bad at all, have been 3 times for scuba diving, mainly wreck dives and some you can snorkle over.
Curaçao has many sandy beaches in addition to snorkelling spots. And it is a very interesting island.
Have not been to Belize yet, but of course it has an excellent reputation for diving/snorkelling.
If you are considering Negril in winter (which I found a bit chilly) then maybe you could reconsider T&C. Nothing needs to be said about beach quality - Grace Bay one of the worlds best, the snorkelling is excellent around Smiths Reef & there are several boat trips you can take out to other islands such as West Caicos etc. You'd get more opinions on TA, some love it in winter and say air & water temps are very pleasant, others say they would not go again & the times I have been have all been in summer. A thin wetsuit would probably suffice in winter.

Last edited by balthy; Aug 2nd, 2022 at 12:37 AM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Balthy, very helpful