Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Albania and Greece - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2022, 07:07 AM
GKS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi! Planning a trip for spring and would love to find a way to spend time in both Greece and Albania. We are NOT fans of big cities, so would love to spend most of our time in smaller places, but obviously don't want to miss a big historical site. Any suggestions for an itinerary? I know this is broad, but I'm trying to figure out a way to jump into researching this and figured you guys might have the perfect preliminary location suggestions. We love history and scenery - don't care for big cities/anything modern. I also don't know what it's like to drive there, but if not too hard we could do that. Any help you provide would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just northern Greece? I really enjoyed northern Greece, but so many people skip it. There is a recent TR that included it - A big, fat Greek wedding and off the beaten path in Austria and Slovenia - or my old trip is here - European Spring 2006 -- Wilhelm's Words

I've also visited Albania, although I didn't visit the beaches which I hear are just as good as those further north and likely to be quieter and cheaper.

I traveled by bus, with a hired car and driver a couple of times, but I would think you would be fine driving (but check into drop off fees). In Albania I would suggest starting in Tirana (although only for convenience, see: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ckling-tirana/ ), then Berat, Gjirokastra and Butrint outside Saranda, after which you could go straight south to northern Greece, or take a side trip by ferry to Corfu. You might also take a look at Lake Ohrid, which I visited from the other side in Macedonia - https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...dmiring-ohrid/

If you start in Tirana you could finish in Thessaloniki, or keep going south via Meteora to Athens.